Translators list policy

Robert Szczepanek-3
Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on https://www.transifex.com/qgis/

Dear translators,

I'm coordinator of Polish GUI translation team.
Many year ago one of my students (Latif Jalil) have made some
translation of QGIS-GUI to Arabic. In the meantime his name was deleted
from translators list.

As a member of very friendly and inclusive QGIS community, I want to ask
your about project policy concerning list of translators, but this
problem is more general. Do we have some policy?
With implementation of Transifex it is even harder to handle, as almost
everyone can start translating. And this is good, but ...

1. Who should be treated as translator? Do you use any thresholds -
number of phrases, period of activity? I know, this is impossible to
measure, but should we add person after translation of just few terms?

2. When we delete translator from the list? We (PL Team) try to avoid
it, but as I can see this is not general rule. In my opinion any
contribution (even the old one) is important and should be mentioned
somewhere. Cost of this is minimal (just few more lines in panel), and
people feel much better. We like to cooperate with happy people, don't we?!

What about writing inactive translators in parenthesis? Inactive - not
participating in the current release, for example. Or some other rule.
It could look like:
Aaaaa Aaaaa, Bbbb Bbbbb, Ccccc Ccccc (Dddd Dddd, Eeee Eeee)

regards
Robert Szczepanek

Re: Translators list policy

skampus
Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on https://www.transifex.com/qgis/

ciao,
in Italy we have the same problem.
Currently, the number of italian translators in transifex is 43: it is the largest community of translators, but many have never translated any string.
moreover, it is impossible to check the activity of a translator because very often the reviewer makes small corrections, but once saved the string is attributed to the user who made the last save.
finally there is the problem of people who has translated before transifex and now does not participate anymore.
as Robert says, it is a pity not to even remember the old translators

s.

[...]

Richard Duivenvoorde
Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on https://www.transifex.com/qgis/

Hi Robert,

the canonical list of names is this one:

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/blob/master/scripts/tsstat.pl

it generates

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/blob/master/doc/TRANSLATORS

We do not have a policy, nobody is boo kkeeping the translators list.

I think if you want to add (or remove) a translator, you could do a pull
request, or ask here who you want to be added.

To see history:

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/blame/master/scripts/tsstat.pl

But as said, there is no real policy. As we do not have real history data.

If you have an idea, please let us know.

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

On 10-01-18 00:16, Robert Szczepanek wrote:

> Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on
> https://www.transifex.com/qgis/
>
> Dear translators,
>
> I'm coordinator of Polish GUI translation team.
> Many year ago one of my students (Latif Jalil) have made some
> translation of QGIS-GUI to Arabic. In the meantime his name was deleted
> from translators list.
>
> As a member of very friendly and inclusive QGIS community, I want to ask
> your about project policy concerning list of translators, but this
> problem is more general. Do we have some policy?
> With implementation of Transifex it is even harder to handle, as almost
> everyone can start translating. And this is good, but ...
>
> 1. Who should be treated as translator? Do you use any thresholds -
> number of phrases, period of activity? I know, this is impossible to
> measure, but should we add person after translation of just few terms?
>
> 2. When we delete translator from the list? We (PL Team) try to avoid
> it, but as I can see this is not general rule. In my opinion any
> contribution (even the old one) is important and should be mentioned
> somewhere. Cost of this is minimal (just few more lines in panel), and
> people feel much better. We like to cooperate with happy people, don't we?!
>
> What about writing inactive translators in parenthesis? Inactive - not
> participating in the current release, for example. Or some other rule.
> It could look like:
> Aaaaa Aaaaa, Bbbb Bbbbb, Ccccc Ccccc (Dddd Dddd, Eeee Eeee)
>
> regards
> Robert Szczepanek

Re: Translators list policy

macho
Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on https://www.transifex.com/qgis/

Hi!

Richard pretty much summed it up already.
We are in a state where we as translation coordinators cannot know
anyone anymore so we..

1. rely on the information the language coordinators give
2. are open to add names of translators if they want it
3. rely again on the language coordinators to know if these people are
active in the community

So if there got a name lost somewhere on the way and you say that the
name should be in the list - you are more than welcome to create a pull
request with that name. (Oviously PR by language coordinators would be
prefered).
Richard already explained where the File is.

If you want to initiate an official way of howto deal with that you can
also write a QEP, but bear in mind that due to the nature of transifex
it is very hard to determine which translation comes from which
translator. Maybe this would be a good point for transifex to integrate
such a function into their workflow.

hope that cleared a few questions (and raised a lot more - I know ;) )

kind regards
Werner

On Wed, 2018-01-10 at 00:16 +0100, Robert Szczepanek wrote:

> Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on https://www.transifex.co
> m/qgis/
>
> Dear translators,
>
> I'm coordinator of Polish GUI translation team.
> Many year ago one of my students (Latif Jalil) have made some
> translation of QGIS-GUI to Arabic. In the meantime his name was
> deleted
> from translators list.
>
> As a member of very friendly and inclusive QGIS community, I want to
> ask
> your about project policy concerning list of translators, but this
> problem is more general. Do we have some policy?
> With implementation of Transifex it is even harder to handle, as
> almost
> everyone can start translating. And this is good, but ...
>
> 1. Who should be treated as translator? Do you use any thresholds -
> number of phrases, period of activity? I know, this is impossible to
> measure, but should we add person after translation of just few
> terms?
>
> 2. When we delete translator from the list? We (PL Team) try to
> avoid
> it, but as I can see this is not general rule. In my opinion any
> contribution (even the old one) is important and should be mentioned
> somewhere. Cost of this is minimal (just few more lines in panel),
> and
> people feel much better. We like to cooperate with happy people,
> don't we?!
>
> What about writing inactive translators in parenthesis? Inactive -
> not
> participating in the current release, for example. Or some other
> rule.
> It could look like:
> Aaaaa Aaaaa, Bbbb Bbbbb, Ccccc Ccccc (Dddd Dddd, Eeee Eeee)
>
> regards
> Robert Szczepanek

Re: Translators list policy

skampus
Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on https://www.transifex.com/qgis/

Thank you werner & richard, all is clear!
Ciao
Stefano

Il 10/Gen/2018 18:57, "Werner Macho" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
> [...]

> measure, but should we add person after translation of just few
> terms?
>
> 2. When we delete translator from the list? We (PL Team) try to
> avoid
> it, but as I can see this is not general rule. In my opinion any
> contribution (even the old one) is important and should be mentioned
> somewhere. Cost of this is minimal (just few more lines in panel),
> and
> people feel much better. We like to cooperate with happy people,
> don't we?!
>
> What about writing inactive translators in parenthesis? Inactive -
> not
> participating in the current release, for example. Or some other
> rule.
> It could look like:
> Aaaaa Aaaaa, Bbbb Bbbbb, Ccccc Ccccc (Dddd Dddd, Eeee Eeee)

Re: Translators list policy

Robert Szczepanek-3
Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on https://www.transifex.com/qgis/

Thank you guys for this feedback.

My doubts were more general, but you technical details are very important.
Contribution should be treated more as cumulative effort at any stage,
not just a temporal snapshot. From this point of view, deletion of
contributor must be well justified, not rely just on coordinator's
decision. I can't find at the moment any reason to delete a person from
the list. Maybe only contributor's direct request.

Two proposals:
1. Pay more attention while deleting contributors. We should ask for
reasons.
2. Re(create) complete list of contributors from historical commits.
This of course is long term task, not for now.

regards
Robert