Tranifex translation help please - from the OSGeo-Live team

Tranifex translation help please - from the OSGeo-Live team

Cameron Shorter
Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on https://www.transifex.com/qgis/

Hello qgis translation team,

We, the OSGeo-Live [1] team, are blessed to have scores of active
translators, who have been translating OSGeo-Live docs into over 10
languages. To date, this has been done using subversion and git, but
we'd like to do better and move to transifex.

Jakob and Niko have been trying hard to set this up for us but have been
getting stuck and during our weekly meeting today we were hopeful that
some people in the QGIS translation team might have sufficient
experience and time to be able to help point us in the right direction.

I'd provide more context, but I'm not sure what questions to ask. I'm
hoping someone with Transifex experience can prompt us by asking us the
right questions.

Discussion about Transifex on our email list is here:
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/live-demo/2017-January/thread.html
(just the top thread)

Thanks, Cameron

[1] http://live.osgeo.org

--
Cameron Shorter
One of the OSGeo-Live coordinators

Re: Tranifex translation help please - from the OSGeo-Live team

Richard Duivenvoorde

On 24-01-17 10:54, Cameron Shorter wrote:

> Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on
> https://www.transifex.com/qgis/
>
> Hello qgis translation team,
>
> We, the OSGeo-Live [1] team, are blessed to have scores of active
> translators, who have been translating OSGeo-Live docs into over 10
> languages. To date, this has been done using subversion and git, but
> we'd like to do better and move to transifex.
>
> Jakob and Niko have been trying hard to set this up for us but have been
> getting stuck and during our weekly meeting today we were hopeful that
> some people in the QGIS translation team might have sufficient
> experience and time to be able to help point us in the right direction.
>
> I'd provide more context, but I'm not sure what questions to ask. I'm
> hoping someone with Transifex experience can prompt us by asking us the
> right questions.

Hi Cameron,

I'm happy to give a hand with this. Jakob and I already emailed in
private about this. Maybe it is easier to have a chat about this?

Some things I would want to know is the goals you want to achieve. For
example for qgis-docs we wanted:

- site to be responsive (to be able to show it on phone or small help
widget on desktop)
- docs also be able to create as pdf's for printing
- one source (rst)
- ability for a language to have localized images (by having a separate
resources/images tree directory)
- translation via transifex
- buildable on several OS's (easiest via docker)
- custom template + css/less (shared with/looking as website)
- automatic pulling of translations and daily building of docs (and sync
to webserver)
- ...

Nowadays I would add:
- add md also as source ability (so easy editing in Github, but to be
able to have indexes you end up with mixed rst/md sources then)
- images relative (so they are visible in Github, like you now have)
- stay as close as possible to vanilla Sphinx scripts and templates

So: please let me know what it is that osgeo-live wants, and off course:
every item makes stuff complexer :-)

This is current build yes? http://live.osgeo.org/en/index.html

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

Re: [Live-demo] Tranifex translation help please - from the OSGeo-Live team

Cameron Shorter
Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on https://www.transifex.com/qgis/

Hi Richard,

Further to Niko's comments.

Re chatting:

Our IRC contact details, and weekly meeting time is linked from: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc#Contact_Us . I am on IRC now if you are around. Where in the world do you live?

Re goals:
We have quite targeted goals for the packages installed on OSGeo-Live, as outlined here:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Add_Project#What_gets_into_OSGeoLive.3F
Basically, we look for stable, established open source geospatial projects with an active and engaged community, which is small enough to fit.
We have also specified the content format of Project Overviews and Quickstarts to be created for OSGeo-Live:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Add_Project#Documentation
Currently we are using RST format, but would be open to using something else if there is a good reason to move, and volunteer support.

Re sources of documentation:
See https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Add_Project#Documentation

On 26/01/2017 7:00 AM, Baka Niko wrote:
Hi Richard and the QGIS team,

Thank you for holding your hand to us.

As you said, the online version is the latest version. We work on github as well. [1]

The main output is to generate translated documentation in html pages, and if we used subervsion and git, we would like to use transifex.
The html pages are generated by sphinx from rst files. Then those pages ar uploaded online and embedded in the isos we produce.

We tried to generate pdf without good result, but it can be a  nice side issue.

For the moment, from the folder we were able to push the files in the "en" folder into transifex. [2]
By this, the files get an "en-" prefix, and we don't know if it is normal.

I tried to pull translations in order to produce the html pages with strange result:
- first, i get all the translation but, for each translation images are duplicated, and it is a major issue, if we want to stay under 4GB (DVD size).
- then, i wasn't able to pull any translation from transifex.

We suspect that our current folder structure does not fit well for Transifex but we are not sure. By this, I mean with the conf.py [3] in the main folder and not in the "en" folder.
We don't know where place the "_build" folder  either. If you can look at the structure and give us some advice, we will be very grateful.

Best regards,

Nicolas

[1] https://github.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive-doc

[2] https://www.transifex.com/osgeo/osgeolive/

[3] https://github.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive-doc/blob/master/conf.py

On 24-01-17 10:54, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on
> https://www.transifex.com/qgis/
>
> Hello qgis translation team,
>
> We, the OSGeo-Live [1] team, are blessed to have scores of active
> translators, who have been translating OSGeo-Live docs into over 10
> languages. To date, this has been done using subversion and git, but
> we'd like to do better and move to transifex.
>
> Jakob and Niko have been trying hard to set this up for us but have been
> getting stuck and during our weekly meeting today we were hopeful that
> some people in the QGIS translation team might have sufficient
> experience and time to be able to help point us in the right direction.
>
> I'd provide more context, but I'm not sure what questions to ask. I'm
> hoping someone with Transifex experience can prompt us by asking us the
> right questions.

Hi Cameron,

I'm happy to give a hand with this. Jakob and I already emailed in
private about this. Maybe it is easier to have a chat about this?

Some things I would want to know is the goals you want to achieve. For
example for qgis-docs we wanted:

- site to be responsive (to be able to show it on phone or small help
widget on desktop)
- docs also be able to create as pdf's for printing
- one source (rst)
- ability for a language to have localized images (by having a separate
resources/images tree directory)
- translation via transifex
- buildable on several OS's (easiest via docker)
- custom template + css/less (shared with/looking as website)
- automatic pulling of translations and daily building of docs (and sync
to webserver)
- ...

Nowadays I would add:
- add md also as source ability (so easy editing in Github, but to be
able to have indexes you end up with mixed rst/md sources then)
- images relative (so they are visible in Github, like you now have)
- stay as close as possible to vanilla Sphinx scripts and templates

So: please let me know what it is that osgeo-live wants, and off course:
every item makes stuff complexer :-)

This is current build yes? http://live.osgeo.org/en/index.html

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

Cameron Shorter
M +61 419 142 254

Re: [Live-demo] Tranifex translation help please - from the OSGeo-Live team

Jakob Miksch
Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on https://www.transifex.com/qgis/

Hi,

Like Niko mentioned below, we have some troubles with the folder
structure. Basically our project is simple. We have a lot of .rst files
that reference some images in a separate folder. That's it more or
less.

What would be the simplest set-up (folder structure) in order to do
translation using "gettext" and/or Transifex?

Do you maybe know some other (example)-projects where we could have a
look at?

best wishes,
Jakob

On Do, 2017-01-26 at 15:30 +1100, Cameron Shorter wrote:

> [...]
> > > - ...
> > >
> > > Nowadays I would add:
> > > - add md also as source ability (so easy editing in Github, but
> > > to be
> > > able to have indexes you end up with mixed rst/md sources then)
> > > - images relative (so they are visible in Github, like you now
> > > have)
> > > - stay as close as possible to vanilla Sphinx scripts and
> > > templates
> > >
> > > So: please let me know what it is that osgeo-live wants, and off
> > > course:
> > > every item makes stuff complexer :-)
> > >
> > > This is current build yes? http://live.osgeo.org/en/index.html
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Richard Duivenvoorde

> Cameron Shorter
> M +61 419 142 254

Re: [Live-demo] Tranifex translation help please - from the OSGeo-Live team

Anna Bonazzi
Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on https://www.transifex.com/qgis/

Hallo, I would like to unsubscribe from the QGIS translation mailing list.
Thank you!
Anna Bonazzi