Towards a new GRASS GIS project website

Markus Neteler
Hi all,

Since the current CMS is rather dated and without responsive design,
we will redesign the Web site from scratch. After initial and
unpublished attempts with Wordpress we will go for a static website
design (Hugo) with a git-flavored management. Then finally more
contributors will be able help to maintain it in the years to come.
Find details at
https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Website_migration_plan_2019#Why_a_new_Website

Note: we started a donation campaign at
https://www.paypal.com/pools/c/86YKZiIEPV

Please send your remarks to this grass-web mailing list [1] for
visibility to a wider audience.
Also (re)post your relevant emails from our previous off-list discussions here.

thanks,
Markus

anti-spam measure, so the list admins will whitelist your address)

--
Markus Neteler, PhD
https://www.mundialis.de - free data with free software

Re: Towards a new GRASS GIS project website

wenzeslaus
Dear all,

Here is my email in response to Nik's call for image resources. Note that I also sent directly to him an email with bunch of images (mentioned below) which is too large to go to mailing list. The good images may eventually end up in some gallery. Original email follows.

Graphical resources:

I gave webinar today. You can see the images in context. It is HTML slides.

Or just get the repo with even more images (and slides):

This will be mostly low res:

This will be random with lot of junk but with many valuable photos from sprints:

I will also forward you an older email with a bunch of images.

Let me know if you have any questions about the content or authorship of the images.

Content:

I would also like to bring up the idea of targeting different audiences. We focused a lot of the desktop GIS user in the past, but we would like to get attention of other groups like e.g. a developer of a cloud service which just happens to need some advanced spatial analysis. I have sent that already when we started this conversation. I can elaborate if needed.

Best,
Vaclav

On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 3:54 PM Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Sharing more off-list remarks following call by Markus:

For Nik and anybody creating images just to make sure we use the power of GRASS GIS: You can share designs using command from the Copy button in the display/layer properties dialogs. You can do the same with 3D and m.nviz.image command - there is a button for it in Layer Manager once you start 3D View. This way you can come up with a great design, but perhaps you don't have the right data, so you can ask the community to create a picture with a more fitting dataset.