Touch events do not trigger the defalut action in attribution links

Touch events do not trigger the defalut action in attribution links

Marc Jansen-2
Hi all,

I stumbled upon an IMHO unwanted behaviour in OpenLayers when it is being accessed with devices that issue touch events (smartphones and tablets both with iOS or Android):

When an attribution of a layer contains a link (an <a href="http://example.com/">Text</a>) the link does not work, e.g. it does not follow the links href and does not open the appropriate URL.

This can easily be observed in the online examples, e.g. here:  http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/osm.html (the link to the osm page is not functional on touch devices).

The behaviour can also be observed from mwithin Chrome when the "User-Agent" setting " Emulate touch events" of the developer toolbar is activated.

I would consider this behaviour a bug and would like to hear your opinions.

The IMHO wrong behaviour was introduced after 2.11, as the example http://dev.openlayers.org/releases/OpenLayers-2.11/examples/osm.html is working as expected.

If needed I can file an issue on github.

Best regards,
Marc

Re: Touch events do not trigger the defalut action in attribution links

Andreas Hocevar-2
I would also consider this a bug. Please create a ticket.

A potential fix would involve not calling preventDefault on
mousedown/touchdown events unconditionally.

Andreas.

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 4:34 PM, Marc Jansen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I stumbled upon an IMHO unwanted behaviour in OpenLayers when it is being
> accessed with devices that issue touch events (smartphones and tablets both
> with iOS or Android):
>
> When an attribution of a layer contains a link (an <a
> href="http://example.com/">Text</a>) the link does not work, e.g. it does
> not follow the links href and does not open the appropriate URL.
>
> This can easily be observed in the online examples, e.g. here:
> http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/osm.html (the link to the osm page is not
> functional on touch devices).
>
> The behaviour can also be observed from mwithin Chrome when the "User-Agent"
> setting " Emulate touch events" of the developer toolbar is activated.
>
> I would consider this behaviour a bug and would like to hear your opinions.
>
> The IMHO wrong behaviour was introduced after 2.11, as the example
> http://dev.openlayers.org/releases/OpenLayers-2.11/examples/osm.html is
> working as expected.
>
> If needed I can file an issue on github.
>
> Best regards,
> Marc

Andreas Hocevar
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org/

Re: Touch events do not trigger the defalut action in attribution links

Marc Jansen-2
Hi all,

Here is the ticket: https://github.com/openlayers/openlayers/issues/612

Can you probably give more guidance on how to address the issue? As the
events are at the very core of the library I want to make extra sure I
do not break anything.

For example, where exactly would you check the nature of the original
event?

By "unconditionally" you probably mean that when the target of the touch
event was e.g. a link (button, etc.), the default action of the element
shouldn't be prevented, right?

Regards & many thanks,
Marc

On 31.07.2012 18:23, Andreas Hocevar wrote:

> I would also consider this a bug. Please create a ticket.
>
> A potential fix would involve not calling preventDefault on
> mousedown/touchdown events unconditionally.
>
> Andreas.
>
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 4:34 PM, Marc Jansen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I stumbled upon an IMHO unwanted behaviour in OpenLayers when it is being
>> accessed with devices that issue touch events (smartphones and tablets both
>> with iOS or Android):
>>
>> When an attribution of a layer contains a link (an <a
>> href="http://example.com/">Text</a>) the link does not work, e.g. it does
>> not follow the links href and does not open the appropriate URL.
>>
>> This can easily be observed in the online examples, e.g. here:
>> http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/osm.html (the link to the osm page is not
>> functional on touch devices).
>>
>> The behaviour can also be observed from mwithin Chrome when the "User-Agent"
>> setting " Emulate touch events" of the developer toolbar is activated.
>>
>> I would consider this behaviour a bug and would like to hear your opinions.
>>
>> The IMHO wrong behaviour was introduced after 2.11, as the example
>> http://dev.openlayers.org/releases/OpenLayers-2.11/examples/osm.html is
>> working as expected.
>>
>> If needed I can file an issue on github.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Marc

   Dipl.-Geogr. Marc Jansen
   — Anwendungsentwickler —

   terrestris GmbH & Co. KG
   Pützchens Chaussee 56
   53227 Bonn

   Tel:   +49 (0)228 / 96 28 99 -53
   Fax:   +49 (0)228 / 96 28 99 -57

   Email: [hidden email]
   Web:   http://www.terrestris.de

   Amtsgericht Bonn, HRA 6835, Komplementärin: terrestris Verwaltungs-
   gesellschaft mbH, vertreten durch: Hinrich Paulsen, Till Adams