Topographical data for Grave/Graves and Cemetery

Topographical data for Grave/Graves and Cemetery

Peter Silbernagl

Dear all,

I would like to find the locations of all grave(s)/cemeteries in South Africa. These are usually shown as Grave or Graves or Cemetery on topographical maps.

The information would be used to direct members of the Genealogical Society of SA for them to photograph the gravestones, as a resource for researchers in genealogy and as a contribution towards the preservation of some cultural heritage. See https://graves-at-eggsa.org/main.php?g2_itemId=43

The maps which contain this data can be downloaded from http://www.cdngiportal.co.za/cdngiportal/

I have downloaded the information for the Western Cape and am using the open source GIS software QGIS, https://qgis.org/en/site/ , but have found that my GIS skills are sorely lacking.

Ideally, a list of co-ordinates for each Grave or Graves or Cemetery per degree square or per province would be first prize.

How can I use the software to create such lists or tables? Your guidance in simple steps would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Peter Silbernagl

Erf 45

c/o Dunn & Streicher Streets

Infanta

6740

South Africa

Mobile +27 82 448 0324

Postal address

PO Box 889

Swellendam

6740

Re: Topographical data for Grave/Graves and Cemetery

Frank Sokolic
Dear Peter,

You don't mention the format of the Western Cape data you've downloaded but if it is the 1:50000 topo data in ESRI file geodatabase format then the layers you need to look at are CULT_PUBLIC_EXP_Point (three cemeteries and 549 graves in the WC) and CULT_PUBLIC_EXP_Areal (293 cemeteries and one grave in the WC).

Please let me know if you need a step-by-step explanation of how to extract this information.

Regards, Frank.

On 2020/08/17 18:55, Peter Silbernagl wrote:

[...]

Re: Newsletter / Marketing: Topographical data for Grave/Graves and Cemetery

Walter Smit-3

Dear Peter

I am assuming that you are referring to the images of the topo maps? CDNGI also have the topographical data in vector format – downloadable in geodatabase format. Which can be read in QGIS. In the geodatabase you need to look for a layer called “CULT_PUBLIC_EXP_Areal” which contains (amongst many other types) cemetery polygons.

From there it should be simple enough to calculate the centre points (or label points) of the polygons in X and Y. I cant tell you how to do it in QGIS, unfortunately I don’t use it very often.

Kind regards

Re: Topographical data for Grave/Graves and Cemetery

Zoltan Szecsei
Hi Peter,
With a bit of time-effort, your first prize might be achievable.
Some municipalities will likely have grave-yard management systems - I know that some years back, Adam Steer at Breederivier created one.  [[hidden email]]
Perhaps start with him, and also ask which person/department is likely to manage graveyards so that you get some idea of whom or which department to email at (all?) other municipalities.

You could also email Mannie, the GISSA secretary (www.gissa.org.za) and ask if he can help by asking GISSA members (many of them municipal employees) if they have access to such information.

A word of caution:
You say that once you know where the graveyards are, eggsa persons will likely go out to photograph tombstones.
First prize would then be to make sure that they have an on-board GPS in their cameras - BUT - do some reading up of how GPS works, and in what type of situations readings become less reliable.
Graves are traditionally close to each other, and I fear that many GPS systems in cellphones and cheaper cameras might not have the accuracy required for this job.

HTH,
Zoltan

[...]

Zoltan Szecsei GPrGISc 0031
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
GIS and Photogrammetric Services

P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

Mobile: +27-83-6004028     (WhatsApp only)
www.geograph.co.za

Re: Topographical data for Grave/Graves and Cemetery

Hermanus Brynard
Peter
Kemmone Mofela (in copy) at Tshwane did a study on cemeteries for COT some time ago. She may have access to information useful to you.

Manie Brynard