Tomcat vs Binary install on Ubuntu Server?

Tomcat vs Binary install on Ubuntu Server?

cliff
Looking for some advice for a production server setup.What are the pros and cons of installing Geoserver on Tomcat vs from Binary? I have always used Tomcat but recently installed the binary. I found it added one more step to actually start/stop Geoserver. I am most interested if there are performance advantages with one vs the other and which one is easier to upgrade (my guess is Tomcat)?
Thanks
Cliff

Re: Tomcat vs Binary install on Ubuntu Server?

Jean Pommier - PI geosolutions

Hi Cliff,

I don't think there is much performance difference. AFAIK, the binary install uses jetty. You can manually setup a Tomcat or Jetty to run it. I've personnaly always prefered a manual setup for production. I believe Jetty is lighter, and, I think i've read it is also faster.

But I would say the easier is using docker : not much system overload, and it makes upgrades and testing so much easier.

You can easily find some docker images already configured.

Jean

Jean Pommier -- pi-Geosolutions

Ingénieur, consultant indépendant

Tél. : (+33) 6 09 23 21 36
E-mail : [hidden email]
Web : www.pi-geosolutions.fr

Le 10/05/2019 à 17:13, Cliff Patterson a écrit :
Looking for some advice for a production server setup.What are the pros and cons of installing Geoserver on Tomcat vs from Binary? I have always used Tomcat but recently installed the binary. I found it added one more step to actually start/stop Geoserver. I am most interested if there are performance advantages with one vs the other and which one is easier to upgrade (my guess is Tomcat)?
Thanks
Cliff

Re: Tomcat vs Binary install on Ubuntu Server?

geowolf
Last time we tried, many years ago, Tomcat was faster than Jetty under heavy load.
Did not try any more, but mind, the Jetty installation coming with GeoServer is a minified one lacking many bits,
for a production setup throw it away even if you decide you want to use Jetty, and use a full installation instead
(dropping the war inside Jetty just like you'd do with Tomcat, I believe).

Cheers
Andrea