Timetable for -09 bidding

Tim Bowden
I realise that most people are probably frantically getting ready for
FOSS4G07, or making themselves busy preparing for '08 in SA, but there's
a few of us in Aust-NZ who are looking ahead to '09.  Given the size
FOSS4G is taking on, venues etc become a bit more of a challenge.
That's not to say it can't be done, but it does mean bookings have to be
done further ahead.  Is there any chance the '09 bidding could be
decided by about March-April next year?  That would make the process
easier for the bidding teams.

Thanks,
Tim Bowden

Re: Timetable for -09 bidding

Paul Ramsey-2
I would like to see us run the '09 process in October of '07, to
build on the enthusiasm I am hoping the '07 attendees will be taking
home with them.  Get them while they are dazed and vulnerable, that's
how I got sucked in :)

On 19-Aug-07, at 10:59 AM, Tim Bowden wrote:

> I realise that most people are probably frantically getting ready for
> FOSS4G07, or making themselves busy preparing for '08 in SA, but
> there's
> a few of us in Aust-NZ who are looking ahead to '09.  Given the size
> FOSS4G is taking on, venues etc become a bit more of a challenge.
> That's not to say it can't be done, but it does mean bookings have
> to be
> done further ahead.  Is there any chance the '09 bidding could be
> decided by about March-April next year?  That would make the process
> easier for the bidding teams.
>
> Thanks,
> Tim Bowden

Re: Timetable for -09 bidding

Tim Bowden
On Sun, 2007-08-19 at 13:27 -0700, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> I would like to see us run the '09 process in October of '07, to
> build on the enthusiasm I am hoping the '07 attendees will be taking
> home with them.  Get them while they are dazed and vulnerable, that's
> how I got sucked in :)

+1
Minimum of 18 months is needed to book venues that can take 1000+ and
also have enough smaller venues for the 20 streams we are likely to need
by then <tongue firmly in cheek>

If FOSS4G07 fulfils even half of what it is promising then it will
indeed leave many dazed and vulnerable.  If anyone's running a tote, I'm
tipping 910 dazed and vulnerable registered punters.  And yes, I agree
that's a good time to stir up action for the next round of bidding.

Regards,
Tim

Re: Timetable for -09 bidding

Jeff McKenna-2
I also support Paul's recommendation of this October for the '09 RFP
discussions and release.

--
jeff

Tim Bowden wrote:

> On Sun, 2007-08-19 at 13:27 -0700, Paul Ramsey wrote:
>> I would like to see us run the '09 process in October of '07, to
>> build on the enthusiasm I am hoping the '07 attendees will be taking
>> home with them.  Get them while they are dazed and vulnerable, that's
>> how I got sucked in :)

> +1
> Minimum of 18 months is needed to book venues that can take 1000+ and
> also have enough smaller venues for the 20 streams we are likely to need
> by then <tongue firmly in cheek>
>
> If FOSS4G07 fulfils even half of what it is promising then it will
> indeed leave many dazed and vulnerable.  If anyone's running a tote, I'm
> tipping 910 dazed and vulnerable registered punters.  And yes, I agree
> that's a good time to stir up action for the next round of bidding.
>
> Regards,
> Tim

Re: Timetable for -09 bidding

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo)
Jeff McKenna wrote:
> I also support Paul's recommendation of this October for the '09 RFP
> discussions and release.
>
> --
> jeff

Hey,
have I been missing something or is this the planning forum for the
FOSS4G CFP '09?

I would like to recommend to make sure that it will not take place in
parallel to the Intergeo 2009 which runs from October 22nd to 24th in
Karlsruhe, Germany. It will obviously not be possible to take care for
every other event that can possibly come up but FOSS4G took place at the
same dates in 07 and will also overlap perfectly in 08 with Intergeo.
With 16.500 visitors [1] the Intergeo is a great opportunity and major
attraction for businesses who will not be able to come to FOSS4G. OSGeo
operated an Open Source park on Intergeo 07 and will probably also do so
in 08 but I am hesitant to advertise this to OSGeo lists and businesses
to not interfere with "our" conference.

Thanks for the consideration.

Best regards,
Arnulf.

[1] http://www.intergeo.de/downloads/PM_Schlussmeldung_2007_e.doc

> Tim Bowden wrote:
>> On Sun, 2007-08-19 at 13:27 -0700, Paul Ramsey wrote:
>>> I would like to see us run the '09 process in October of '07, to
>>> build on the enthusiasm I am hoping the '07 attendees will be taking
>>> home with them.  Get them while they are dazed and vulnerable,
>>> that's  how I got sucked in :)

>> +1
>> Minimum of 18 months is needed to book venues that can take 1000+ and
>> also have enough smaller venues for the 20 streams we are likely to need
>> by then <tongue firmly in cheek>
>>
>> If FOSS4G07 fulfils even half of what it is promising then it will
>> indeed leave many dazed and vulnerable.  If anyone's running a tote, I'm
>> tipping 910 dazed and vulnerable registered punters.  And yes, I agree
>> that's a good time to stir up action for the next round of bidding.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Tim

Re: Timetable for -09 bidding

Tim Bowden

On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 17:41 +0200, Arnulf Christl wrote:

> Jeff McKenna wrote:
> > I also support Paul's recommendation of this October for the '09 RFP
> > discussions and release.
> >
> > --
> > jeff
>
> Hey,
> have I been missing something or is this the planning forum for the
> FOSS4G CFP '09?
>
> I would like to recommend to make sure that it will not take place in
> parallel to the Intergeo 2009 which runs from October 22nd to 24th in
> Karlsruhe, Germany. It will obviously not be possible to take care for
> every other event that can possibly come up but FOSS4G took place at the
> same dates in 07 and will also overlap perfectly in 08 with Intergeo.
> With 16.500 visitors [1] the Intergeo is a great opportunity and major
> attraction for businesses who will not be able to come to FOSS4G. OSGeo
> operated an Open Source park on Intergeo 07 and will probably also do so
> in 08 but I am hesitant to advertise this to OSGeo lists and businesses
> to not interfere with "our" conference.
>
> Thanks for the consideration.
>
> Best regards,
> Arnulf.
>
> [1] http://www.intergeo.de/downloads/PM_Schlussmeldung_2007_e.doc

Arnulf,

Just for you [1] the Aust-NZ bid team will make sure we propose conf
dates for mid to late September, giving plenty of clearance from
intergeo.

Regards,
Tim

[1]  Well, those were the dates we had in mind anyway, but what the
heck!

Re: Timetable for -09 bidding

Torsten Brassat
Hey,

sorry, there is a mistake:

Intergeo runs from 22nd to 24th SEPTEMBER in Karlsruhe, Germany.

Best regards,

Torsten

On Fri, October 12, 2007 5:41 pm, Arnulf Christl wrote:

> Jeff McKenna wrote:
>> I also support Paul's recommendation of this October for the '09 RFP
>> discussions and release.
>>
>> --
>> jeff
>
> Hey,
> have I been missing something or is this the planning forum for the
> FOSS4G CFP '09?
>
> I would like to recommend to make sure that it will not take place in
> parallel to the Intergeo 2009 which runs from October 22nd to 24th in
> Karlsruhe, Germany. It will obviously not be possible to take care for
> every other event that can possibly come up but FOSS4G took place at the
> same dates in 07 and will also overlap perfectly in 08 with Intergeo.
> With 16.500 visitors [1] the Intergeo is a great opportunity and major
> attraction for businesses who will not be able to come to FOSS4G. OSGeo
> operated an Open Source park on Intergeo 07 and will probably also do so
> in 08 but I am hesitant to advertise this to OSGeo lists and businesses
> to not interfere with "our" conference.
>
> Thanks for the consideration.
>
> Best regards,
> Arnulf.
>
> [1] http://www.intergeo.de/downloads/PM_Schlussmeldung_2007_e.doc
>

>> Tim Bowden wrote:

>>> +1
>>> Minimum of 18 months is needed to book venues that can take 1000+ and
>>> also have enough smaller venues for the 20 streams we are likely to
>>> need
>>> by then <tongue firmly in cheek>
>>>
>>> If FOSS4G07 fulfils even half of what it is promising then it will
>>> indeed leave many dazed and vulnerable.  If anyone's running a tote,
>>> I'm
>>> tipping 910 dazed and vulnerable registered punters.  And yes, I agree
>>> that's a good time to stir up action for the next round of bidding.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Tim

Re: Timetable for -09 bidding

Tim Bowden
On Sat, 2007-10-13 at 07:38 +0200, Torsten Brassat (WhereGroup) wrote:

> Hey,
>
> sorry, there is a mistake:
>
> Intergeo runs from 22nd to 24th SEPTEMBER in Karlsruhe, Germany.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Torsten

Ok, the Aust-NZ '09 hosting bid will take this into serious
consideration.  We were hoping to line the conf up with the local
academic break so as to maximise student and academic involvement, but
it seems we will need to make a trade off one way or the other.

Regards,
Tim Bowden

> On Fri, October 12, 2007 5:41 pm, Arnulf Christl wrote:
> > Jeff McKenna wrote:
> >> I also support Paul's recommendation of this October for the '09 RFP
> >> discussions and release.
> >>
> >> --
> >> jeff
> >
> > Hey,
> > have I been missing something or is this the planning forum for the
> > FOSS4G CFP '09?
> >
> > I would like to recommend to make sure that it will not take place in
> > parallel to the Intergeo 2009 which runs from October 22nd to 24th in
> > Karlsruhe, Germany. It will obviously not be possible to take care for
> > every other event that can possibly come up but FOSS4G took place at the
> > same dates in 07 and will also overlap perfectly in 08 with Intergeo.
> > With 16.500 visitors [1] the Intergeo is a great opportunity and major
> > attraction for businesses who will not be able to come to FOSS4G. OSGeo
> > operated an Open Source park on Intergeo 07 and will probably also do so
> > in 08 but I am hesitant to advertise this to OSGeo lists and businesses
> > to not interfere with "our" conference.
> >
> > Thanks for the consideration.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Arnulf.