Timeout for WMS layers

Gabriele Monfardini
Hi all,

I have a MapGuide map (MapGuide version 2.4) with some layer taken from a
WMS server.
Those layers are off by default in initial view of the map.

In my case the WMS is experiencing problems (the connection to the server
works but the WMS Server does not serve any data due to some unspecified
backend problems).

MapGuide is not able to successfully serve initial map view in Ajax Viewer,
it hangs for a lot of time.
During that time any attempt to manage the server with Maestro fails, all
operations timeout.
Moreover any other request to the server is delayed. In a word the server
does not seem to respond anymore.
Only restarting MapGuide solves the issue.

Obviously this behavior is problematic since WMS is used to gather data
from servers which we usually cannot control so their failures need be
handled as gracefully as possible.

Questions:

1. Why initial view hangs if all WMS layer are off?
2. Is there a way to control timeout or to make MapGuide give up gracefully
if WMS server does not respond in a predetermined amount of time?
I've seen a WMS connection timeout parameter in serverconfig.ini, but the
connection to the WMS server succeeds, so I think it is not applicable in
my case.

Any comments?

Gabriele Monfardini

Re: Timeout for WMS layers

Jackie Ng
Have you tried setting a custom timeout for the WMS provider in serverconfig.ini?

http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/ServerconfigWebConfigIni#ServerFDOConnectionTimeoutCustom

- Jackie

Re: Timeout for WMS layers

Gabriele Monfardini
Hi Jackie,

Have you tried setting a custom timeout for the WMS provider in
> serverconfig.ini?
>

> http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/ServerconfigWebConfigIni#ServerFDOConnectionTimeoutCustom

I thought that that parameter controls only connection timeout and not
response timeout.

In my case the connection to the WMS server succeeded immediately, only the
response with the image took a lot of time and in the end failed.

The problem affecting WMS server is now solved so I cannot do more tests,
but I'll try to set a custom timeout just in case.

Regards,

Gabriele