Tiled services in geoserver

robertdbuckley
Hi,

I have always used the integrated GWC to cache my wms, but after researching and looking at what geoserver can actually offer in this area I was wondering if I should examine the posibilities of TMS, WMS-C or WMTS.

Can these protocols be interchanged with one another in a client application using for example OpenLayers? Am I using them already without knowing it?...the reason I ask, is that when I look inside my GeoWebCache settings, they are all activated except direct wms.

I´m not too sure what this really means, as I only serve them with Openlayers using new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS and then changing the path URL.

Does GWC offer all of these?...as well as geoserver?....I´m a bit confused.

Thanks for any replies,

Rob

Yours with thanks, Robert Buckley System: Linux Ubuntu 10.04 Server / Tomcat6 / Geoserver 2.1.2 / GeoWebCache 1.2.6)

Re: Tiled services in geoserver

Stefano Iacovella

2012/10/10 Robert Buckley <[hidden email]>
Hi,

I have always used the integrated GWC to cache my wms, but after researching and looking at what geoserver can actually offer in this area I was wondering if I should examine the posibilities of TMS, WMS-C or WMTS.

Can these protocols be interchanged with one another in a client application using for example OpenLayers? Am I using them already without knowing it?...the reason I ask, is that when I look inside my GeoWebCache settings, they are all activated except direct wms.

I´m not too sure what this really means, as I only serve them with Openlayers using new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS and then changing the path URL.

Does GWC offer all of these?...as well as geoserver?....I´m a bit confused.

The tiles GWC stores may be exposed with different protocols, TMS, WMTS and WMS-C.

Direct integration mode enables you to use the same endpoint you would use for a non cached layer. Of course your request have to fill the Gridset specification, e.g. tile sizes and zoom levels.

myLayer = new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS(
                    'myWorkspace:countries',
                    '../geoserver/myWorkspace/wms',
                    {layers: 'myWorkspace:countries',
                     styles: 'aStyle',
                     tiled: 'true',
                     format: 'image/png' },
                    {tileSize: new OpenLayers.Size(256,256)}
                );

Regards

Stefano

41.95581N 12.52854E