Tilecache benchmarks

Jon Blower-2
Hi,

I've noticed a few figures published on the web about tilecache
performance, in terms of the number of tiles per second that it can
serve (the tc website contains the figure of 300 tiles per second under
mod_python).  Are there any published reports that anyone can point me
to with the origin of figures such as these?  (I'm not doubting them for
a moment, but I'm writing a report of my own and I'd like to be able to
cite something other than a website if possible.)

Thanks,
Jon

--
Dr Jon Blower
Technical Director, Reading e-Science Centre

Re: Tilecache benchmarks

Christopher Schmidt-2
On Sat, Mar 06, 2010 at 10:04:53PM -0000, Jonathan Blower wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've noticed a few figures published on the web about tilecache
> performance, in terms of the number of tiles per second that it can
> serve (the tc website contains the figure of 300 tiles per second under
> mod_python).  Are there any published reports that anyone can point me
> to with the origin of figures such as these?  (I'm not doubting them for
> a moment, but I'm writing a report of my own and I'd like to be able to
> cite something other than a website if possible.)

Nothing of mine. The GeoServer vs. MapServer shootout in South Africa
included a cache section, testing GeoWebCache vs. TileCache; the end result
was that it was impossible to max out a tile serving system when all it
was doing was serving tiles, because you'd fill up your network pipe
before you ran out of CPU. I don't know if the slides from that
presentation are available, but they might be helpful if they
were.

-- Chris

> Thanks,
> Jon
>
> --
> Dr Jon Blower
> Technical Director, Reading e-Science Centre
> Environmental Systems Science Centre
> University of Reading
> Harry Pitt Building, 3 Earley Gate
> Reading RG6 6AL. UK
> Tel: +44 (0)118 378 5213
> Fax: +44 (0)118 378 6413
> [hidden email]
> http://www.nerc-essc.ac.uk/People/Staff/Blower_J.htm

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta

Re: Tilecache benchmarks

Ziegler Stefan
Hi

they wrote something in the GeoServer blog:

http://blog.geoserver.org/2008/10/22/geoserver-benchmarks-at-foss4g-2008/

The slides are also available:

http://presentations.opengeo.org/2008_FOSS4G/WebMapServerPerformance-FOSS4G2008.pdf

regards