Tilecache and QGIS status bar messagge

aborruso
Dear all,
I have set a tilecache server and I load layers in QGIS from it via a WMS connection.

I have used the seeding utility for a specific layer for all zoom levels. When I load this layer in QGIS, it loads it properly and I have in the status bar "0 tiles request in background, 0 cache hits, 13 cache misses, 0 errors".
What's the meaning of "13 cache misses"? Does QGIS read the cached images or it forces the creation of them?

Thank you very much,

Re: Tilecache and QGIS status bar messagge

Puneet Kishor

On Feb 24, 2012, at 11:11 AM, aborruso wrote:

> Dear all,
> I have set a tilecache server and I load layers in QGIS from it via a WMS
> connection.
>
> I have used the seeding utility for a specific layer for all zoom levels.
> When I load this layer in QGIS, it loads it properly and I have in the
> status bar "0 tiles request in background, 0 cache hits, 13 cache misses, 0
> errors".
> What's the meaning of "13 cache misses"? Does QGIS read the cached images or
> it forces the creation of them?

0 tiles request in background: nothing is being requested
0 cache hits: nothing was found in the cache
13 cache misses: 13 tiles were requested but not found in the cache, so they were requested from the server
0 errors: no snafu

Try reloading the exact same view and check the messages again.

--
Puneet Kishor_______________________________________________

Re: Tilecache and QGIS status bar messagge

aborruso
Hi Puneet,
thank you.

Puneet Kishor wrote
On Feb 24, 2012, at 11:11 AM, aborruso wrote:

0 tiles request in background: nothing is being requested
0 cache hits: nothing was found in the cache
13 cache misses: 13 tiles were requested but not found in the cache, so they were requested from the server
0 errors: no snafu

Try reloading the exact same view and check the messages again.
Please look at this video:
http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/watch/clnZFQz6I

I make some pan and zoom and generate the relative tiles. Then starting from 00:40 time my map requests are always in the same area, and it's no more necessary to produce tiles, and the number of tiles does not change any more. This is right, but in QGIS status bar I have "... cache misses".

Is it normal?

Best regards,

Andrea

On Feb 24, 2012, at 12:41 PM, aborruso wrote:

> Hi Puneet,
> thank you.
>

> Puneet Kishor wrote
>>
>> On Feb 24, 2012, at 11:11 AM, aborruso wrote:
>>
>> 0 tiles request in background: nothing is being requested
>> 0 cache hits: nothing was found in the cache
>> 13 cache misses: 13 tiles were requested but not found in the cache, so
>> they were requested from the server
>> 0 errors: no snafu
>>
>> Try reloading the exact same view and check the messages again.
>>

> Please look at this video:
> http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/watch/clnZFQz6I
>
> I make some pan and zoom and generate the relative tiles. Then starting from
> 00:40 time my map requests are always in the same area, and it's no more
> necessary to produce tiles, and the number of tiles does not change any
> more. This is right, but in QGIS status bar I have "... cache misses".
>
> Is it normal?

Sorry, I am not knowledgable about this enough to comment either way. Plus, I don't know how and to what is your QGIS connecting in order to get the tiles. However, when I connect my QGIS to my tilecache service, and then I watch the MapServer logs (I am using MapServer), I can tell very clearly when MapServer is generating new tiles and when it is not doing anything yet the tiles are being served from the cache.

--

Re: Tilecache and QGIS status bar messagge

aborruso
Hi Punet,
thank you.

Puneet Kishor wrote
On Feb 24, 2012, at 12:41 PM, aborruso wrote:
Sorry, I am not knowledgable about this enough to comment either way. Plus, I don't know how and to what is your QGIS connecting in order to get the tiles. However, when I connect my QGIS to my tilecache service, and then I watch the MapServer logs (I am using MapServer), I can tell very clearly when MapServer is generating new tiles and when it is not doing anything yet the tiles are being served from the cache.
Your idea about log file is great. I have used it and I see that MapServer does not generate new tile. Then it seems a QGIS bug. I will write in its mailing list.