Tile boundary rendering

Ben Brehmer
Hello Everyone,

I am running mapserver and TileCache for server-side tile caching.

I have attached some snapshots of something that is quite common on my
map. Some of the roads (mostly diagonal ones) have chunks missing
wherever they encounter a tile edge.

After some investigating I figured out the cause of this problem:
The roads on my map are drawn with a circle symbol. If a road intersects
a tile edge at 90 degrees the rounded end is chopped off cleanly. But if
the road intersects a tile edge at an angle, part of the rounded end is
shown and causes a very undesirable effect.

So I guess my question is, is there a buffer (or similair) in TileCache
that can be set to specify the amount that is rendered past the edge of
a tile?

Thanks,

Ben

lower_tile.jpg (13K) Download Attachment
openLayers_viewport.jpg (46K) Download Attachment

Re: Tile boundary rendering

Christopher Schmidt-2
On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 02:02:12PM -0800, Ben Brehmer wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am running mapserver and TileCache for server-side tile caching.
>
> I have attached some snapshots of something that is quite common on my
> map. Some of the roads (mostly diagonal ones) have chunks missing
> wherever they encounter a tile edge.
>
> After some investigating I figured out the cause of this problem:
> The roads on my map are drawn with a circle symbol. If a road intersects
> a tile edge at 90 degrees the rounded end is chopped off cleanly. But if
> the road intersects a tile edge at an angle, part of the rounded end is
> shown and causes a very undesirable effect.

Sounds like
http://crschmidt.net/blog/archives/154/mapserver-rendering-bug/ //
http://crschmidt.net/mapping/mapserverbug.png ?

> So I guess my question is, is there a buffer (or similair) in TileCache
> that can be set to specify the amount that is rendered past the edge of
> a tile?

Not yet. Keep an eye out for this support in the next version of
TileCache.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta