Tile/Slice Shapefiles...

Nolte, Tim
I've found references to shp2tile and even found some downloads of the
program. One thing I'm confused about is if this is actually going to
tile a shapefile the way I think it will. I have one shapefile in
particular that is one large object, basically the outline of many
states. If I run this shapefile through shp2tile will it actually cut up
the object into smaller objects? Seems the description of the shp2tile
application refers to only splitting up shapefiles into smaller
shapefile by splitting out objects but not actually breaking apart an
object. Is there anyone that can clarify this for me?

- Tim

----
Timothy J Nolte - [hidden email]
Associate Network Planning Engineer

iPCS Wireless, Inc.
4717 Broadmoor Ave, Suite G
Kentwood, MI 49512

Office: 616-656-5163
PCS:    616-706-2438
Fax:    616-554-6484
Web: www.ipcswirelessinc.com

Re: Tile/Slice Shapefiles...

Daniel Morissette
Nolte, Tim wrote:

> I've found references to shp2tile and even found some downloads of the
> program. One thing I'm confused about is if this is actually going to
> tile a shapefile the way I think it will. I have one shapefile in
> particular that is one large object, basically the outline of many
> states. If I run this shapefile through shp2tile will it actually cut up
> the object into smaller objects? Seems the description of the shp2tile
> application refers to only splitting up shapefiles into smaller
> shapefile by splitting out objects but not actually breaking apart an
> object. Is there anyone that can clarify this for me?

That's correct, shp2tile will *not* split your large polygon into
smaller ones.

Daniel
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/

Re: Tile/Slice Shapefiles...

Jeff McKenna-2
Nolte, Tim wrote:
> I've found references to shp2tile and even found some downloads of the
> program.

FYI: a windows build of shp2tile is included in MS4W.

-jeff