There is a way to eliminate the "Recent Projects" startup screen ?

12

There is a way to eliminate the "Recent Projects" startup screen ?

Geo DrinX
Hello all,

is there any way to remove the screen of "Recent Projects" ?

Thank you for any info about this

A presto

Roberto

Re: There is a way to eliminate the "Recent Projects" startup screen ?

Matthias Kuhn 🌍
No, why?

On 11/11/2015 04:01 PM, Geo DrinX wrote:
Hello all,

is there any way to remove the screen of "Recent Projects" ?

Thank you for any info about this

A presto

Roberto

Matthias Kuhn - https://www.opengis.ch
Spatial • Open Source • (Q)GIS • PostGIS

Re: There is a way to eliminate the "Recent Projects" startup screen ?

Matthias Kuhn 🌍
Sorry, too fast.

Yes, Settings -> Options -> General -> Open Project On Launch

On 11/11/2015 04:07 PM, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
No, why?

On 11/11/2015 04:01 PM, Geo DrinX wrote:
Hello all,

is there any way to remove the screen of "Recent Projects" ?

Thank you for any info about this

A presto

Roberto

Matthias Kuhn - https://www.opengis.ch
Spatial • Open Source • (Q)GIS • PostGIS

Matthias Kuhn - https://www.opengis.ch
Spatial • Open Source • (Q)GIS • PostGIS

Re: There is a way to eliminate the "Recent Projects" startup screen ?

Geo DrinX

Inviato da iPhone

> Il giorno 11 nov 2015, alle ore 16:11, Matthias Kuhn <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>
> Sorry, too fast.
>
> Yes, Settings -> Options -> General -> Open Project On Launch

Excellent !   Thank you

A presto

Roberto

Re: [Gfoss] There is a way to eliminate the "Recent Projects" startup screen ?

Geo DrinX

Inviato da iPhone

Il giorno 11 nov 2015, alle ore 16:13, Totò Fiandaca <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

basta andare su impostazioni>opzioni>generale, poi su file progetto seleziona 'nuovo';

al prossimo riavvio comparirà solo schermata bianca vuota.

Ottimo !  Grazie mille.

:)

A presto

Roberto

Re: There is a way to eliminate the "Recent Projects" startup screen ?

Geo DrinX

It'd still be good to know why you want the recent project disabled on startup.

Trade Secret.
:(

No, seriously: I wrote a book and I had to change the pages and images.

;)

A presto

Roberto

PS: I could turn the question around: why you entered a useless page of old projects, and instead open the last directly, as does MapWindow? I've seen it: you can do that too. However, I prefer a blank page instead of showing others  (my wife)  what I was doing   ;)

Re: There is a way to eliminate the "Recent Projects" startup screen ?

Barry Rowlingson
On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 3:13 PM, Mathieu Pellerin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It'd still be good to know why you want the recent project disabled on
> startup.

 Privacy? Would you like your web browser to show your browser history
on startup?

 That's an extreme analogy, but there may be people working on
projects for client A that don't want client B to see they are working
on.

Barry

Re: There is a way to eliminate the "Recent Projects" startup screen ?

Sandro Santilli-2
On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 03:32:22PM +0000, Barry Rowlingson wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 3:13 PM, Mathieu Pellerin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > It'd still be good to know why you want the recent project disabled on
> > startup.
>
>  Privacy? Would you like your web browser to show your browser history
> on startup?
>
>  That's an extreme analogy, but there may be people working on
> projects for client A that don't want client B to see they are working
> on.

FWIW, I also find that default panel annying.
A discrete File->OpenRecent would have done :)

--strk;

Re: There is a way to eliminate the "Recent Projects" startup screen ?

Anita Graser

On Nov 11, 2015 4:48 PM, "Sandro Santilli" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 03:32:22PM +0000, Barry Rowlingson wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 3:13 PM, Mathieu Pellerin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > It'd still be good to know why you want the recent project disabled on
> > > startup.
> >
> >  Privacy? Would you like your web browser to show your browser history
> > on startup?
> >
> >  That's an extreme analogy, but there may be people working on
> > projects for client A that don't want client B to see they are working
> > on.

Ok point. But in my experience 99% of users love it. It's a great feature and deserves to be on by default.

Best wishes
Anita

Some browsers do: http://images.pitchero.com/up/chrome2.jpg

>>  That's an extreme analogy, but there may be people working on
>> projects for client A that don't want client B to see they are working
>> on.
> FWIW, I also find that default panel annying.
Why? It's on otherwise unused screen space...
> A discrete File->OpenRecent would have done :)
... and it's two clicks less :)

--
Matthias Kuhn - https://www.opengis.ch
Spatial • Open Source • (Q)GIS • PostGIS

Re: There is a way to eliminate the "Recent Projects" startup screen ?

pvanbosgeo

On 11 November 2015 17:01:14 CET, Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On Nov 11, 2015 4:48 PM, "Sandro Santilli" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 03:32:22PM +0000, Barry Rowlingson wrote:
>> > On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 3:13 PM, Mathieu Pellerin
><[hidden email]>
>disabled on
>> >
>> >  Privacy? Would you like your web browser to show your browser
>history
>> > on startup?
>> >
>> >  That's an extreme analogy, but there may be people working on
>> > projects for client A that don't want client B to see they are
>working
>> > on.
>
>Ok point. But in my experience 99% of users love it. It's a great
>feature
>and deserves to be on by default.
>
>Best wishes
>Anita

Agree, but is there a wat to remove projects (e.g. non existing ones, out ones I am finished with)?

>> FWIW, I also find that default panel annying.
>> A discrete File->OpenRecent would have done :)
>>
>> --strk;

Re: There is a way to eliminate the "Recent Projects" startup screen ?

Michael Kirk
I prefer the new "recent projects" screen as opposed to a blank screen
or opening my "last project".

As I bounce between a couple of projects from day to day, the list is
quite helpfule.

Ranked by frequency, I'd estimate my use cases as:

70% I'm opening the last project I worked on.
20% I'm opening a project I've recently worked on.
5% I'm starting a new project.
5% I'm opening a project I worked on a long time ago.

Even though I'm usually opening my most recent project, I still prefer
the list of my last few recent projects because I do use them somewhat
regularly, while getting my "most recent" is only one click away.

So the pain of clicking once to get my most recent project 70% of the
time outweighs the risk of entering a file dialog 20% of the time.

And considering that in previous releases I had to enter a file dialog
100% of the time, this is a great improvement =)

On Wed, 2015-11-11 at 07:29 -0800, qgis-developer-
[hidden email] wrote:

> > It'd still be good to know why you want the recent project disabled
> on
> > startup.
> >

> Trade Secret.
> :(
>
> No, seriously: I wrote a book and I had to change the pages and
> images.
>
> ;)
>

> A presto
>
> Roberto
>
> PS: I could turn the question around: why you entered a useless page
> of old
> projects, and instead open the last directly, as does MapWindow? I've
> seen
> it: you can do that too. However, I prefer a blank page instead of
> showing others
> (my wife)  what I was doing   ;)

Re: There is a way to eliminate the "Recent Projects" startup screen ?

Tim Sutton-5
Hi

On 11 Nov 2015, at 17:48, Sandro Santilli <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 03:32:22PM +0000, Barry Rowlingson wrote:
On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 3:13 PM, Mathieu Pellerin <[hidden email]> wrote:
It'd still be good to know why you want the recent project disabled on
startup.

Privacy? Would you like your web browser to show your browser history
on startup?

That's an extreme analogy, but there may be people working on
projects for client A that don't want client B to see they are working
on.

FWIW, I also find that default panel annoying.

I think you are a lone voice on the desert on that one - everyone I encounter loves this feature. (OK that was tempting fate - no doubt someone else will write in now saying they don’t like it too :-P ).

A discrete File->OpenRecent would have done :)

We have that already.

Regards

Tim

--strk;

Tim Sutton
QGIS Project Steering Committee Member

Re: There is a way to eliminate the "Recent Projects" startup screen ?

macho

Just for the record.

I am completely with Anita.. There might be some small points against
this but after all it is a huge improvement (which can be switched off
anyway if you dont like it).

So please keep the "Recent Projects" screen..

(But I would also like to be able to delete some of the "moved"
projects which cannot be loaded anymore)

regards
Werner

On 11/11/15 20:25, Tim Sutton wrote:

> Hi
>
>> On 11 Nov 2015, at 17:48, Sandro Santilli <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 03:32:22PM +0000, Barry Rowlingson
>> wrote:
>>> On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 3:13 PM, Mathieu Pellerin
>>>
>>> Privacy? Would you like your web browser to show your browser
>>> history on startup?
>>>
>>> That's an extreme analogy, but there may be people working on
>>> projects for client A that don't want client B to see they are
>>> working on.
>>
>> FWIW, I also find that default panel annoying.
>
> I think you are a lone voice on the desert on that one - everyone
> I encounter loves this feature. (OK that was tempting fate - no
> doubt someone else will write in now saying they don’t like it too
> :-P ).
>
>> A discrete File->OpenRecent would have done :)
>
> We have that already.
>
> Regards
>
> Tim
>

>> --strk; _______________________________________________
>> Qgis-developer mailing list [hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]> List info:
>> Unsubscribe:
>

> Tim Sutton QGIS Project Steering Committee Member [hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: There is a way to eliminate the "Recent Projects" startup screen ?

Nathan Woodrow

Don't worry. It's not going anywhere ;)

On Thu, 12 Nov 2015 5:38 am Werner Macho <[hidden email]> wrote:

Just for the record.

I am completely with Anita.. There might be some small points against
this but after all it is a huge improvement (which can be switched off
anyway if you dont like it).

So please keep the "Recent Projects" screen..

(But I would also like to be able to delete some of the "moved"
projects which cannot be loaded anymore)

regards
Werner

On 11/11/15 20:25, Tim Sutton wrote:
> Hi
>
>> On 11 Nov 2015, at 17:48, Sandro Santilli <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 03:32:22PM +0000, Barry Rowlingson
>> wrote:
>>> On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 3:13 PM, Mathieu Pellerin
>>>
>>> Privacy? Would you like your web browser to show your browser
>>> history on startup?
>>>
>>> That's an extreme analogy, but there may be people working on
>>> projects for client A that don't want client B to see they are
>>> working on.
>>
>> FWIW, I also find that default panel annoying.
>
> I think you are a lone voice on the desert on that one - everyone
> I encounter loves this feature. (OK that was tempting fate - no
> doubt someone else will write in now saying they don’t like it too
> :-P ).
>
>> A discrete File->OpenRecent would have done :)
>
> We have that already.
>
> Regards
>
> Tim
>

>> --strk; _______________________________________________
>> Qgis-developer mailing list [hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]> List info:
>> Unsubscribe:
>

> Tim Sutton QGIS Project Steering Committee Member [hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: [Gfoss] There is a way to eliminate the "Recent Projects" startup screen ?

ginetto
Me too

On Wednesday, 11 November 2015, Michael Kirk <[hidden email]> wrote:
I prefer the new "recent projects" screen as opposed to a blank screen
or opening my "last project".

As I bounce between a couple of projects from day to day, the list is
quite helpfule.

Ranked by frequency, I'd estimate my use cases as:

70% I'm opening the last project I worked on.
20% I'm opening a project I've recently worked on.
5% I'm starting a new project.
5% I'm opening a project I worked on a long time ago.

Even though I'm usually opening my most recent project, I still prefer
the list of my last few recent projects because I do use them somewhat
regularly, while getting my "most recent" is only one click away.

So the pain of clicking once to get my most recent project 70% of the
time outweighs the risk of entering a file dialog 20% of the time.

And considering that in previous releases I had to enter a file dialog
100% of the time, this is a great improvement =)

On Wed, 2015-11-11 at 07:29 -0800, qgis-developer-

> > It'd still be good to know why you want the recent project disabled
> on
> > startup.
> >

> Trade Secret.
> :(
>
> No, seriously: I wrote a book and I had to change the pages and
> images.
>
> ;)
>

> A presto
>
> Roberto
>
> PS: I could turn the question around: why you entered a useless page
> of old
> projects, and instead open the last directly, as does MapWindow? I've
> seen
> it: you can do that too. However, I prefer a blank page instead of
> showing others
> (my wife)  what I was doing   ;)

Luigi Pirelli

* Boundless QGIS Support/Development: lpirelli AT boundlessgeo DOT com
* GitHub: https://github.com/luipir
* Mastering QGIS: https://www.packtpub.com/application-development/mastering-qgis

Re: There is a way to eliminate the "Recent Projects" startup screen ?

Geo DrinX
I have a suggestion for the "open last project" at startup option choice.
In other programs where this usually happens ( iMovie, and other Apple programs, for example )  they save on exit also the memory status of the program ( i.e.  the "display file" on gis or cad or 3d graphics) in way to have an immediate re-start of last saved project.
Instead, simply re-open again the old project (like perform an "Open project..." macro without menus, results too slow to be effettively useful, expecially with very big projects.

Do you think I wrong ?

A presto

Roberto

Inviato da iPhone

> Il giorno 11 nov 2015, alle ore 19:46, Michael Kirk <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>
> I prefer the new "recent projects" screen as opposed to a blank screen
> or opening my "last project".
>
> As I bounce between a couple of projects from day to day, the list is
> quite helpfule.
>
> Ranked by frequency, I'd estimate my use cases as:
>
> 70% I'm opening the last project I worked on.
> 20% I'm opening a project I've recently worked on.
> 5% I'm starting a new project.
> 5% I'm opening a project I worked on a long time ago.
>
> Even though I'm usually opening my most recent project, I still prefer
> the list of my last few recent projects because I do use them somewhat
> regularly, while getting my "most recent" is only one click away.
>
> So the pain of clicking once to get my most recent project 70% of the
> time outweighs the risk of entering a file dialog 20% of the time.
>
> And considering that in previous releases I had to enter a file dialog
> 100% of the time, this is a great improvement =)

> On Wed, 2015-11-11 at 07:29 -0800, qgis-developer-
> [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>>> It'd still be good to know why you want the recent project disabled
>> on
>>> startup.
>>
>> Trade Secret.
>> :(
>>
>> No, seriously: I wrote a book and I had to change the pages and
>> images.
>>
>> ;)
>>

>> A presto
>>
>> Roberto
>>
>> PS: I could turn the question around: why you entered a useless page
>> of old
>> projects, and instead open the last directly, as does MapWindow? I've
>> seen
>> it: you can do that too. However, I prefer a blank page instead of
>> showing others
>> (my wife)  what I was doing   ;)

Re: There is a way to eliminate the "Recent Projects" startup screen ?

Nathan Woodrow
Can't this already be done with the recent projects screen now?  The top one is the most recent.

- Open QGIS
- Double click top item

Done.

- Nathan

Il giorno 12 nov 2015, alle ore 11:02, Nathan Woodrow <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

Can't this already be done with the recent projects screen now?  The top one is the most recent.

I know this.
Sorry that my English is incomprehensible :(

I was trying to explain that I think the "open the last project" makes sense only if it is quick to do so (and I tried to explain how to do this the other programs).

Sorry, nothing.

I can explain it only in Italian.  :(

A presto

Roberto