Terrain Ruggedness Index Calculation

polczynskim
I have read Riley, S. J., S. D. DeGloria and R. Elliot (1999). A terrain ruggedness index that quantifies topographic heterogeneity, Intermountain Journal of Sciences, vol. 5, No. 1-4,1999, but might someone be able to tell me how the "Ruggedness Index" calculation is performed in QGIS?  In particular, the "Z factor" seems to have no effect on the result. I have a passing familiarity with Python, so could probably figure out how the code works, if that would help the explanation.

Thanks!

--
Mark Polczynski

Re: Terrain Ruggedness Index Calculation

Falk Huettmann
Hi there,

very good question indeed.

I have no direct answer but three more points to add:

-in virtually any GIS and software computations, SLOPE, ASPECT, IDW, KRIGGING etc.
 one will find such type of questions, and many answers and solutions. None of them are
 very clear and often not precise. Home range and Kernel computations are notorious for that.

-there is quite a mis-match with reality, and wrong perceptions, when it comes to such metrics,
 tools, layers and GIS data.

-this does not only affect inference, but many management and real-world questions indeed, science, education,
 certifications and publications included.

Overall, for a good software, these items are essential to have right and well documented;
the more the better. One wonders what the metadata really are for those metrics ?

Happy to learn more, thanks.

Kindly

   Falk Huettmann PhD, Associate Professor
     University of Alaska Fairbanks (UAF)