TR : Line label placement improvement

Michaël Michaud-2

Hi Andrea, hi list,

We would like to submit a patch to improve line label placement in Geotools.

We are producing maps with a lot of street names using Geoserver. We noticed that many labels could not be placed because areas used to manage conflicts are quite big when labels follow diagonal directions.

We decided to manage the label index using "letters" bounding boxes rather than "label" bounding boxes. This improve noticeably the number of placed labels (it is not possible to tell how many more as it is highly data-dependant). The performance penalty does not seem very high (indeed, we could not really measure it).

Currently, we have implemented the change as a vendor option named "letterConflictEnabled". But if the code is good enough, it could also replace the current one at some point.

Please, let us know if you're interested by this patch. It includes some unit tests and can be submitted as a PullRequest on the current GeoTools 14-SNAPSHOT.
Here attached is a small document explaining the change.

Michaël Michaud and Mathieu Lemarchand for
Institut Géographique National (France)

ImproveLabelPlacement.pdf (128K) Download Attachment

Re: TR : Line label placement improvement

geowolf
Hi Michael,
I've been hoping to find the time to do something similar for quite a while now, so this is certainly welcomed.
I'd suggest you make a pull request with these changes enabled by default, and maybe have a system variable to disable
it in case we find situations in which the performance slowdown is noticeable?

Cheers
Andrea

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 10:22 AM, Michael Michaud <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

==
==

Ing. Andrea Aime
@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax: +39 0584 1660272
mob: +39  339 8844549

AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act (Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the information in this message that has been received in error. The sender does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.

Re: TR : Line label placement improvement

geowolf
Oh, forgot, the feature freeze in in 4 days, after that, the pull request will be merged against the GeoTools 15.x/GeoServer 2.9.x series

Cheers
Andrea

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 10:35 AM, Andrea Aime <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

phone: <a href="tel:%2B39%200584%20962313" value="+390584962313" target="_blank">+39 0584 962313
fax: <a href="tel:%2B39%200584%201660272" value="+3905841660272" target="_blank">+39 0584 1660272
mob: <a href="tel:%2B39%20%C2%A0339%208844549" value="+393398844549" target="_blank">+39  339 8844549

[...]

OK, I changed the way to activate the option (vendorOption -> system variable), but I can't create a pull request. I get the following error from my IDE:

Push failed:
unable to access 'https://github.com/geotools/geotools/': The requested URL returned error: 403

Maybe I should have created my fork on github first instead of checking out directly from geotools/geotools ?

I'll try this tomorrow. Now that I removed the vendor option, there is only one file changed (out of test files)

Cheers,

Michaël

Re: RE : TR : Line label placement improvement

geowolf
On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 8:34 PM, Michael Michaud <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Andrea,

OK, I changed the way to activate the option (vendorOption -> system variable), but I can't create a pull request. I get the following error from my IDE:

Push failed:
unable to access 'https://github.com/geotools/geotools/': The requested URL returned error: 403

You are trying to push to the main repository, this is not a pull requset :-)

Maybe I should have created my fork on github first instead of checking out directly from geotools/geotools ?

You should create your fork, push your branch there, and then from that one,
you'll be able to make a pull request (just check your project's github page after
pushing the branch)

More info on the internet, e.g., here:

Cheers
Andrea

--
==
==

[...]

Thank you for the help,
I think you get the pull request now.

I added a static variable DISABLE_LETTER_LEVEL_CONFLICT in LabelCacheImpl to be able to disable the new behaviour from system property "org.geotools.labelcache.disableLetterLevelConflict".
It should probably be final but I needed to switch the option on and off in the unit tests.

Let us know if there is something else we can do to validate the patch.

Michaël