(TENET) mirror.ac.za

Donald Coetzee

Greetings,

I am one of the Administrators responsible for the above Mirror Server in South Africa. We are in the process of rebuilding our mirror service onto a new platform, and I would like to sync the Grass GIS data onto this new platform. on the current mirror server, as well as the new server however, I have noted a timeout when our cron is set to run (rsync://grass.meteo.uni.wroc.pl/grass). is there something I need to do to be able to sync from this source ? or have you an alternate source that we can sync from ?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

TENET Standard Signature

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: (TENET) mirror.ac.za

Markus Neteler
Greetings,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Indeed, the old master mirror site at
rsync://grass.meteo.uni.wroc.pl/grass is not functioning properly for
a long time.

We are currently rewriting the GRASS GIS Web site from scratch:
https://staging.grass.osgeo.org/

This will be then moved to https://grass.osgeo.org/ soon (DNS entry
swap with https://old.grass.osgeo.org/).
I will already add rsync functionality here so that you may use it for
mirroring.

What is the timeline you have to complete the change?

Best regards,

Markus

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 8:43 AM Donald Coetzee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I am one of the Administrators responsible for the above Mirror Server in South Africa. We are in the process of rebuilding our mirror service onto a new platform, and I would like to sync the Grass GIS data onto this new platform. on the current mirror server, as well as the new server however, I have noted a timeout when our cron is set to run (rsync://grass.meteo.uni.wroc.pl/grass). is there something I need to do to be able to sync from this source ? or have you an alternate source that we can sync from ?
>
> Looking forward to hearing from you.
>
> Regards,

> Donald Coetzee
> Senior Systems Administrator
>
> Tertiary Education & Research Network of South Africa NPC
>
> Fault Reporting: +27(21)763-7147 or [hidden email]
> Office: +27(21)763-7154
> http://www.tenet.ac.za/contact
> https://orcid.org/0000-0003-2845-6969

Markus Neteler, PhD
https://www.mundialis.de - free data with free software
https://grass.osgeo.org
https://courses.neteler.org/blog

Re: (TENET) mirror.ac.za

Markus Neteler
Hi Donald,

Thanks for your offlist response with your mirroring future plans.

I have just completed the rsync setup on the new GRASS GIS Web site.
Being currently still behind a firewall, it is not yet visible. But as
soon as we switch the old and new server, this should then work:

# soon visible:
rsync grass.osgeo.org::grass-website

We try to come to speed with the content migration :-)

Thanks again for mirroring us,

best regards
Markus

Re: (TENET) mirror.ac.za

Donald Coetzee

Hi Markus,

Hope you are doing well, and keeping safe amid the global pandemic ?

I thought to follow up on the below, and to find out if we are yet supposed to be pointing our rsync at the new server ? I am about to move the grass mirror to our new infrastructure, and am successfully syncing from:  staging.grass.osgeo.org::download/grass/
is this correct ?

On 2020/02/22 14:36, Markus Neteler wrote:
Hi Donald,

Thanks for your offlist response with your mirroring future plans.

I have just completed the rsync setup on the new GRASS GIS Web site.
Being currently still behind a firewall, it is not yet visible. But as
soon as we switch the old and new server, this should then work:

# soon visible:
rsync grass.osgeo.org::grass-website

We try to come to speed with the content migration :-)

Thanks again for mirroring us,

best regards
Markus

Re: (TENET) mirror.ac.za

Markus Neteler
Hi Donald,

Thanks doing well - I hope you too!

Your message comes with perfect timing, we are pretty good now with
setting up the new website.
I have just written a ticket that the `grass-website` rsync space
isn't visible yet:

https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/2454

As soon as that's solved you will be able to sync with:

rsync staging.grass.osgeo.org::grass-website

In the very near future we'll then swap the DNS entries and make it

# very soon:
rsync grass.osgeo.org::grass-website

As a reminder to self I have an open ticket for that to notify you then:
https://github.com/OSGeo/grass-website/issues/22

So, the order would be
- fix #2454 (I expect it to be done today or tomorrow)
- then you may enable your mirror, using for now
staging.grass.osgeo.org in your cronjob
- fix #22 (this may still take a few weeks)
- switch rsync to grass.osgeo.org in your cronjob

Hope this makes sense.

--
http://orcid.org/0000-0003-1916-1966

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 4:48 PM Donald Coetzee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Markus,
>
> Hope you are doing well, and keeping safe amid the global pandemic ?
>
> I thought to follow up on the below, and to find out if we are yet supposed to be pointing our rsync at the new server ? I am about to move the grass mirror to our new infrastructure, and am successfully syncing from:  staging.grass.osgeo.org::download/grass/
> is this correct ?
>
> Looking forward to hearing from you.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
>
> Donald Coetzee
> Senior Systems Administrator
>
> Tertiary Education & Research Network of South Africa NPC
>
> Fault Reporting: +27(21)763-7147 or [hidden email]
> Office: +27(21)763-7154
> hhttp://orcid.org/0000-0003-1916-1966ttp://www.tenet.ac.za/contact
> https://orcid.org/0000-0003-2845-6969

Re: (TENET) mirror.ac.za

Donald Coetzee

Hi Markus,

All well this side too, thanks.

Thanks very much for the update - I have subscribed to notifications on #22, and in the meantime will add staging.grass.osgeo.org :-)

Thanks again.

Regards,

TENET Standard Signature
On 2020/05/04 22:25, Markus Neteler wrote:
[...]

Thanks to Regina from OSGeo-SAC the rsync support for mirroring is ready:

rsync --port=50026 staging.grass.osgeo.org::

Please try it out.

Best regards,

Markus

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 9:13 AM Donald Coetzee <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Markus,

All well this side too, thanks.

Thanks very much for the update - I have subscribed to notifications on #22, and in the meantime will add staging.grass.osgeo.org :-)

Thanks again.

Regards,

Donald Coetzee
Senior Systems Administrator

Tertiary Education & Research Network of South Africa NPC

Fault Reporting: <a href="tel:+27(21)763-7147" style="color:rgb(31,78,121);text-decoration:none" target="_blank">+27(21)763-7147 or [hidden email]
Office: +27(21)763-7154
http://www.tenet.ac.za/contact
ORCID iD https://orcid.org/0000-0003-2845-6969
[...]

Ah .great - have set the script to sync from staging.grass.osgeo.org::grass-website/ - seems to be running fine thus far - will let you know if I have and problems.

Regards,

TENET Standard Signature
On 2020/05/07 16:35, Markus Neteler wrote:
Hi Donald,

Thanks to Regina from OSGeo-SAC the rsync support for mirroring is ready:

rsync --port=50026 staging.grass.osgeo.org::

Please try it out.

Best regards,

Markus

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 9:13 AM Donald Coetzee <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Markus,

All well this side too, thanks.

Thanks very much for the update - I have subscribed to notifications on #22, and in the meantime will add staging.grass.osgeo.org :-)

Thanks again.

Regards,

Donald Coetzee
Senior Systems Administrator

Tertiary Education & Research Network of South Africa NPC

Fault Reporting: <a href="tel:+27(21)763-7147" style="color:rgb(31,78,121);text-decoration:none" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">+27(21)763-7147 or [hidden email]
[...]

Great, just notify me in case.

Important hint: all the binaries aren't there yet, so the disk consumption is a fraction of the expected one.
First we have to solve this ticket:

which we try to tackle ASAP.
However, for you nothing to change except for the future DNS switch.

Best
Markus

On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 5:11 PM Donald Coetzee <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

ah! I was just wondering why the mirror was only 250MB lol.

Can you give me a more or less size of the complete set, I would like to make sure I have allocated enough disk.

Thanks!

TENET Standard Signature
On 2020/05/07 17:44, Markus Neteler wrote:
[...]

I just checked on the old server and we are at 15GB.
I hope that's doable! Not easy to shrink > 35 years of software development :-)

Cheers,
Markus

On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 5:46 PM Donald Coetzee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Markus,
>
> ah! I was just wondering why the mirror was only 250MB lol.
>
> Can you give me a more or less size of the complete set, I would like to make sure I have allocated enough disk.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
>
> Donald Coetzee
> Senior Systems Administrator
>
> Tertiary Education & Research Network of South Africa NPC
>
> Fault Reporting: +27(21)763-7147 or [hidden email]
> Office: +27(21)763-7154
> http://www.tenet.ac.za/contact
> https://orcid.org/0000-0003-2845-6969

Re: (TENET) mirror.ac.za

Donald Coetzee

Hi Markus,

15GB is absolutely fine - I've now allocated 30GB :-) - We have monitoring in place for disk space, so can keep an eye on things.

Thanks for the info.

Regards,

On 2020/05/07 20:13, Markus Neteler wrote:
[...]

BTW: this seems to be the right command:

rsync -az --port=50026 staging.grass.osgeo.org::grass-website grass-website

Another mirror has been set up here:
https://grass.mirror.download.it/

I do not seem to have your mirror URL - is it publicly available?

thanks,
Markus

Re: (TENET) mirror.ac.za

Donald Coetzee

Hi Markus,

Thanks forthe info on the command - I will check the URL, and let you know!

The current URL is: grass.mirror.ac.za - but it is still pointing at the old infrastructure as we were not quite ready to point it at the new. I will let you know once we have things in place.

Just as a reminder, the new infrastructure supports:

https://grass.mirror.ac.za (old infrastructure is not https)
ftp://grass.mirror.ac.za
rsync://grass.mirror.ac.za/grass

Regards,

TENET Standard Signature
On 2020/06/13 12:29, Markus Neteler wrote:
Hi Donald,

BTW: this seems to be the right command:

rsync -az --port=50026 staging.grass.osgeo.org::grass-website grass-website

Another mirror has been set up here:
https://grass.mirror.download.it/

I do not seem to have your mirror URL - is it publicly available?

thanks,
Markus

Re: (TENET) mirror.ac.za

Donald Coetzee

Hi Markus,

Just to let you know, we have moved the Grass GIS mirror onto the new platform - let me know if all looks correct ?

Regards,

TENET Standard Signature
On 2020/06/15 08:41, Donald Coetzee wrote:

[...]

Great, it looks fine at
https://grass.mirror.ac.za/

except for this open issue which we have to solve:
https://github.com/OSGeo/grass-website/issues/172

In any case, at your end it appears to operate as expected!

Best,
Markus

--
Markus Neteler, PhD
https://www.mundialis.de - free data with free software
https://grass.osgeo.org
https://courses.neteler.org/blog

Re: (TENET) mirror.ac.za

Markus Neteler
Hi Donald,

Indeed I found an issue in the FTP mirror:

We use links to combine the static part (software and data) and the
dynamic part (hugo generated web pages).
While it works fine with https:
https://grass.mirror.ac.za/

it doesn't in FTP - links are not followed:
ftp://grass.mirror.ac.za/grass/html/
--> grassXY (e.g. grass78/) appears to be empty - in reality it is a link.

I wonder if you could tweak that somehow to let also FTP user follow
the links the the parent directory and therein code_and_data/grassXY/

Best
Markus