Symbology

Jay Kapalczynski

In a map file…..Is there a way to use an image (jpg, bmp, png) instead of a marker symbol (star, circle etc) when symbolizing points

       LAYER

              DUMP TRUE

              NAME 'Firestations'

              DATA 'firestations'

              TYPE POINT

              STATUS ON

              CLASS

                NAME 'Fire Stations'

                COLOR 254 0 0

                     INSTEAD OF STAR PLACE AN IMAGE

                SYMBOL "star"

                    SIZE 8

              END

Re: Symbology

tadams
Jay,

of course there are lots of possibilities... see here:

http://mapserver.org/mapfile/symbology/construction.html

Regards, Till

       LAYER

              DUMP TRUE

              NAME 'Firestations'

              DATA 'firestations'

              TYPE POINT

              STATUS ON

              CLASS

                NAME 'Fire Stations'

                COLOR 254 0 0

                     INSTEAD OF STAR PLACE AN IMAGE

                SYMBOL "star"

                    SIZE 8

              END

Re: Symbology

Michael Schulz

yes, you have to define an image symbol in your symbolset and use that:

SYMBOL
  NAME 'church'
  TYPE pixmap
  IMAGE 'church.gif'
  TRANSPARENT 5
END

then use
SYMBOL 'church' in your style.

Cheers, Michael

2010/9/16 Jay Kapalczynski <[hidden email]>:

> In a map file…..Is there a way to use an image (jpg, bmp, png) instead of a
> marker symbol (star, circle etc) when symbolizing points
>

>        LAYER
>
>               DUMP TRUE
>
>               NAME 'Firestations'
>
>               DATA 'firestations'
>
>               TYPE POINT
>
>               STATUS ON
>
>               CLASS
>
>                 NAME 'Fire Stations'
>
>                 COLOR 254 0 0
>
>                      INSTEAD OF STAR PLACE AN IMAGE
>
>                 SYMBOL "star"
>
>                     SIZE 8
>
>               END

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Aufwind durch Wissen!

Qualifizierte Open Source Schulungen bei der
http://www.foss-academy.eu/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Michael Schulz
[hidden email]

in medias res

Schwimmbadstraße 2
D-79100  Freiburg i. Br.

Tel:  +49 (0)761 705798-102
Tel:  +49 (0)761 705798-0
Fax: +49 (0)761 705798-09

http://www.webgis.de / http://www.zopecms.de

RE: Symbology

Jay Kapalczynski
Ok that seems to make sense...but where do I place the image SYMBOL (your example below)?  DO I place that in the map file as well?
Little confused there....

Thanks Michael and Adam for your return replys.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Aufwind durch Wissen!

Qualifizierte Open Source Schulungen bei der
http://www.foss-academy.eu/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Michael Schulz
[hidden email]

in medias res

Schwimmbadstraße 2
D-79100  Freiburg i. Br.

Tel:  +49 (0)761 705798-102
Tel:  +49 (0)761 705798-0
Fax: +49 (0)761 705798-09

http://www.webgis.de / http://www.zopecms.de

RE: Symbology

Fawcett, David (MNIT)
You can put the symbol definition in your map file, or in a symbols file (e.g. symbols.sym) and then set SYMBOLSET at the MAP level to point to your symbols.sym file.

David.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Aufwind durch Wissen!

Qualifizierte Open Source Schulungen bei der
http://www.foss-academy.eu/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Michael Schulz
[hidden email]

in medias res

Schwimmbadstraße 2
D-79100  Freiburg i. Br.

Tel:  +49 (0)761 705798-102
Tel:  +49 (0)761 705798-0
Fax: +49 (0)761 705798-09

http://www.webgis.de / http://www.zopecms.de

RE: Symbology

Jay Kapalczynski

Thanks guys for your thoughts...still green to this and trying to learn

I would make real sense to me to create the .sym file where I would not have to redefine the particular symbol sets

DO I HAVE THIS RIGHT?

1.  BUT how do I define the symbol set or point to the .sym file from the map file ?????

SYMBOL FILE: So in the Symbol file I would have this (example of two of them)

SYMBOL

  NAME 'bike'

  TYPE pixmap

  IMAGE '/home/mapserv/proj/pmap/bike.png'

  TRANSPARENT 2

END

SYMBOL

  NAME 'church'

  TYPE pixmap

  IMAGE '/home/mapserv/proj/pmap/church.png'

  TRANSPARENT 5

END

MAP FILE: I would simply call them?

CLASS

  STYLE

    SYMBOL "bike"

    COLOR 0 0 0

    OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0

  END

END

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aufwind durch Wissen!

Qualifizierte Open Source Schulungen bei der

http://www.foss-academy.eu/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Michael Schulz

[hidden email]

in medias res

Schwimmbadstraße 2

D-79100  Freiburg i. Br.

Tel:  +49 (0)761 705798-102

Tel:  +49 (0)761 705798-0

Fax: +49 (0)761 705798-09

http://www.webgis.de / http://www.zopecms.de

Re: Symbology

Smith, Michael ERDC-CRREL-NH
Re: [mapserver-users] Symbology Jay,

A couple of additional steps.

1). Add SYMBOLSET as the first line in your symbol file

2). In the mapfile, in the MAP section add a line

SYMBOLSET /path/to/symbolset_file

Mike

--
Michael Smith
Remote Sensing/GIS Center

2010/9/16 Jay Kapalczynski <jkapalczynski@...>:
> In a map file...Is there a way to use an image (jpg, bmp, png) instead of a
> marker symbol (star, circle etc) when symbolizing points
>

>        LAYER
>
>              DUMP TRUE
>
>              NAME 'Firestations'
>
>              DATA 'firestations'
>
>              TYPE POINT
>
>              STATUS ON
>
>              CLASS
>
>                NAME 'Fire Stations'
>
>                COLOR 254 0 0
>
>                     INSTEAD OF STAR PLACE AN IMAGE
>
>                SYMBOL "star"
>
>                    SIZE 8
>
>              END

Re: Symbology

Michael Schulz
Jay,

you need to reference the symbolset file in the map section of you mapfile
SYMYBOLSET '/path/to/your/symbolset.sym'

then you can simply use the names of the defined symbols.

Cheers, Michael

2010/9/16 Jay Kapalczynski <[hidden email]>:

> Thanks guys for your thoughts...still green to this and trying to learn
>
> I would make real sense to me to create the .sym file where I would not have
> to redefine the particular symbol sets
>

> DO I HAVE THIS RIGHT?
>

> 1.  BUT how do I define the symbol set or point to the .sym file from the
> map file ?????
>

> SYMBOL FILE: So in the Symbol file I would have this (example of two of
> them)
>

> SYMBOL
>
>   NAME 'bike'
>
>   TYPE pixmap
>
>   IMAGE '/home/mapserv/proj/pmap/bike.png'
>
>   TRANSPARENT 2
>
> END
>
> SYMBOL
>
>   NAME 'church'
>
>   TYPE pixmap
>
>   IMAGE '/home/mapserv/proj/pmap/church.png'
>
>   TRANSPARENT 5
>
> END
>

> MAP FILE: I would simply call them?
>

> CLASS
>
>   STYLE
>
>     SYMBOL "bike"
>
>     COLOR 0 0 0
>
>     OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0
>
>   END
>
> END

Once again guys….thanks…VERY Appreciated

I am having one last problem…the path…if the map file is in the police folder  (as seen below) how do I write the path to get to the .sym file.  I am having a hard tiem trying to figure out were is the root to start my URL path….

Hope this does not seem to stupid a question…when I am trying to create a path…do I think of it from the location of the .map file to the .sym file and then create the path between them.  OR do I always start from one location?

SYMBOLSET /path/to/symbolset_file

Folder structure:

Ms4w

Apps

maplegrove

Htdocs

                                Symbolset folder

                                                .sym file

maps

                                maple_grove

                                                police

                                                                .map files

You can put the symbol definition in your map file, or in a symbols file (e.g. symbols.sym) and then set SYMBOLSET at the MAP level to point to your symbols.sym file.

David.

Ok that seems to make sense...but where do I place the image SYMBOL (your example below)?  DO I place that in the map file as well?
Little confused there....

Thanks Michael and Adam for your return replys.

yes, you have to define an image symbol in your symbolset and use that:

SYMBOL
  NAME 'church'
  TYPE pixmap
  IMAGE 'church.gif'
  TRANSPARENT 5
END

then use
SYMBOL 'church' in your style.

Cheers, Michael

2010/9/16 Jay Kapalczynski <jkapalczynski@...>:
> In a map file...Is there a way to use an image (jpg, bmp, png) instead of a
> marker symbol (star, circle etc) when symbolizing points
>

>        LAYER
>
>              DUMP TRUE
>
>              NAME 'Firestations'
>
>              DATA 'firestations'
>
>              TYPE POINT
>
>              STATUS ON
>
>              CLASS
>
>                NAME 'Fire Stations'
>
>                COLOR 254 0 0
>
>                     INSTEAD OF STAR PLACE AN IMAGE
>
>                SYMBOL "star"
>
>                    SIZE 8
>
>              END

Re: Symbology

tadams
Jay,

all pathes in the mapfile are relative to the mapfile.

e.g.

mapfile.map
<subfolder-symbols>/symbset.sym

leads to the reference

<subfolder-symbols>/symbset.sym

This is true to all references in the mapfile AND included files such as symbset.sym!

Regards

Once again guys….thanks…VERY Appreciated

I am having one last problem…the path…if the map file is in the police folder  (as seen below) how do I write the path to get to the .sym file.  I am having a hard tiem trying to figure out were is the root to start my URL path….

Hope this does not seem to stupid a question…when I am trying to create a path…do I think of it from the location of the .map file to the .sym file and then create the path between them.  OR do I always start from one location?

SYMBOLSET /path/to/symbolset_file

Folder structure:

Ms4w

Apps

maplegrove

Htdocs

                                Symbolset folder

                                                .sym file

maps

                                maple_grove

                                                police

                                                                .map files

You can put the symbol definition in your map file, or in a symbols file (e.g. symbols.sym) and then set SYMBOLSET at the MAP level to point to your symbols.sym file.

David.

Ok that seems to make sense...but where do I place the image SYMBOL (your example below)?  DO I place that in the map file as well?
Little confused there....

Thanks Michael and Adam for your return replys.

yes, you have to define an image symbol in your symbolset and use that:

SYMBOL
  NAME 'church'
  TYPE pixmap
  IMAGE 'church.gif'
  TRANSPARENT 5
END

then use
SYMBOL 'church' in your style.

Cheers, Michael

2010/9/16 Jay Kapalczynski <jkapalczynski@...>:
> In a map file...Is there a way to use an image (jpg, bmp, png) instead of a
> marker symbol (star, circle etc) when symbolizing points
>

>        LAYER
>
>              DUMP TRUE
>
>              NAME 'Firestations'
>
>              DATA 'firestations'
>
>              TYPE POINT
>
>              STATUS ON
>
>              CLASS
>
>                NAME 'Fire Stations'
>
>                COLOR 254 0 0
>
>                     INSTEAD OF STAR PLACE AN IMAGE
>
>                SYMBOL "star"
>
>                    SIZE 8
>
>              END

RE: Symbology

Jay Kapalczynski

This is what I am trying…when I turn on the layer it all goes pink…so something is not correct

I have to move back 3 folders and go into the one housing the sym file

The images are in the sym file folder in their own file

MAP FILE

       PROJECTION

              'init=epsg:26915'

       END

       LEGEND

             STATUS ON

             LABEL

              TYPE TRUETYPE

              FONT vera_sans

              SIZE 8

              COLOR 0 0 0

             END

       END

       SYMBOLSET "../../../htdocs/symbolsets/symbolset.sym"

       LAYER

             NAME Burglaries

             DATA './Burglaries.shp'

             STATUS ON

             TYPE POINT

                     CLASS

                           NAME 'Last Weeks'

                           STYLE

                                  SYMBOL "bike"

                                  COLOR 0 0 0

                                  OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0

                         END

                     END

SYMBOL FILE

SYMBOLSET

SYMBOL

  NAME 'bike'

  TYPE pixmap

  IMAGE '/symbol_images/bike.png'

  TRANSPARENT 2

END

SYMBOL

  NAME 'church'

  TYPE pixmap

  IMAGE '/symbol_images/church.png'

  TRANSPARENT 5

END

Folder structure:

Ms4w

Apps

maplegrove

Htdocs

                                Symbolset folder

                                                .sym file

maps

                                maple_grove

                                                police

                                                                .map files

You can put the symbol definition in your map file, or in a symbols file (e.g. symbols.sym) and then set SYMBOLSET at the MAP level to point to your symbols.sym file.

David.

Ok that seems to make sense...but where do I place the image SYMBOL (your example below)?  DO I place that in the map file as well?
Little confused there....

Thanks Michael and Adam for your return replys.

yes, you have to define an image symbol in your symbolset and use that:

SYMBOL
  NAME 'church'
  TYPE pixmap
  IMAGE 'church.gif'
  TRANSPARENT 5
END

then use
SYMBOL 'church' in your style.

Cheers, Michael

2010/9/16 Jay Kapalczynski <jkapalczynski@...>:
> In a map file...Is there a way to use an image (jpg, bmp, png) instead of a
> marker symbol (star, circle etc) when symbolizing points
>

>        LAYER
>
>              DUMP TRUE
>
>              NAME 'Firestations'
>
>              DATA 'firestations'
>
>              TYPE POINT
>
>              STATUS ON
>
>              CLASS
>
>                NAME 'Fire Stations'
>
>                COLOR 254 0 0
>
>                     INSTEAD OF STAR PLACE AN IMAGE
>
>                SYMBOL "star"
>
>                    SIZE 8
>
>              END

RE: Symbology

Jay Kapalczynski

Last entry on this….I can get this to work ALTHOUGH ONLY in the map file

In the map file I am pointing to the folder that contains the .sym file but cant get the sym file to work

I cannot get the SYMBOLSET to load the sym file. As Seen below it only works when I have the symbol set declared in the map file…

What can I be doing wrong?

MAP

# THIS DOES NOT WORK

       # DECLARE LOCATION OF THE SYMBOL SET

       #SYMBOLSET '../../../htdocs/symbolsets/symbolset.sym'

# THIS WORKS

       SYMBOL

         NAME 'bike'

         TYPE pixmap

         IMAGE '../../../htdocs/symbolsets/symbol_images/bike.png'

         TRANSPARENT 50

       END

LAYER

             NAME Burglaries

             DATA './Burglaries.shp'

             STATUS ON

             TYPE POINT

              CLASS

                     NAME 'Last Weeks'

                     STYLE

                     SYMBOL "bike"

                     COLOR 0 0 0

                     OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0

              END

       END

#…..snip

SYM FILE

SYMBOLSET

       SYMBOL

         NAME 'bike'

         TYPE pixmap

         IMAGE 'symbol_images/bike.png'

         TRANSPARENT 2

       END

END

You can put the symbol definition in your map file, or in a symbols file (e.g. symbols.sym) and then set SYMBOLSET at the MAP level to point to your symbols.sym file.

David.

Ok that seems to make sense...but where do I place the image SYMBOL (your example below)?  DO I place that in the map file as well?
Little confused there....

Thanks Michael and Adam for your return replys.

yes, you have to define an image symbol in your symbolset and use that:

SYMBOL
  NAME 'church'
  TYPE pixmap
  IMAGE 'church.gif'
  TRANSPARENT 5
END

then use
SYMBOL 'church' in your style.

Cheers, Michael

2010/9/16 Jay Kapalczynski <jkapalczynski@...>:
> In a map file...Is there a way to use an image (jpg, bmp, png) instead of a
> marker symbol (star, circle etc) when symbolizing points
>

>        LAYER
>
>              DUMP TRUE
>
>              NAME 'Firestations'
>
>              DATA 'firestations'
>
>              TYPE POINT
>
>              STATUS ON
>
>              CLASS
>
>                NAME 'Fire Stations'
>
>                COLOR 254 0 0
>
>                     INSTEAD OF STAR PLACE AN IMAGE
>
>                SYMBOL "star"
>
>                    SIZE 8
>
>              END

Arabic text

ianwalberg

Can anyone point us at the details of how to display Arabic text. We tried a few weeks ago and could not get the characters to link up but they did look correct as single characters.

Does the fgs install for Linux or the ms4w on windows support Arabic text?

Thanks

Re: Arabic text

Stephen Woodbridge
On 9/18/2010 12:55 PM, Ian Walberg wrote:
> Can anyone point us at the details of how to display Arabic text. We
> tried a few weeks ago and could not get the characters to link up but
> they did look correct as single characters.
>
> Does the fgs install for Linux or the ms4w on windows support Arabic text?

Ian,

In your LABEL block you need to have ENCODING 'your encoding' and you
need a text font that has all the joining character glyphs and mapserver
needs to be with fribidi-0.19.2

I think both FGS and MS4W both build with that.

Often, the hardest part is finding a good text font that supports all
the characters.

-Steve

RE: Symbology

blammo

try this instead:

   SYMBOLSET "../../htdocs/symbolsets/symbolset.sym"

bobb

>>> Jay Kapalczynski <[hidden email]> wrote:

This is what I am trying…when I turn on the layer it all goes pink…so something is not correct

I have to move back 3 folders and go into the one housing the sym file

The images are in the sym file folder in their own file

MAP FILE

       PROJECTION

              'init=epsg:26915'

       END

       LEGEND

             STATUS ON

             LABEL

              TYPE TRUETYPE

              FONT vera_sans

              SIZE 8

              COLOR 0 0 0

             END

       END

       SYMBOLSET "../../../htdocs/symbolsets/symbolset.sym"

       LAYER

             NAME Burglaries

             DATA './Burglaries.shp'

             STATUS ON

             TYPE POINT

                     CLASS

                           NAME 'Last Weeks'

                           STYLE

                                  SYMBOL "bike"

                                  COLOR 0 0 0

                                  OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0

                         END

                     END

SYMBOL FILE

SYMBOLSET

SYMBOL

  NAME 'bike'

  TYPE pixmap

  IMAGE '/symbol_images/bike.png'

  TRANSPARENT 2

END

SYMBOL

  NAME 'church'

  TYPE pixmap

  IMAGE '/symbol_images/church.png'

  TRANSPARENT 5

END

Folder structure:

Ms4w

Apps

maplegrove

Htdocs

                                Symbolset folder

.sym file

maps

                                maple_grove

                                                police

.map files

Smith, Michael D ERDC-CRREL-NH [[hidden email]]

You can put the symbol definition in your map file, or in a symbols file (e.g. symbols.sym) and then set SYMBOLSET at the MAP level to point to your symbols.sym file.

David.

Ok that seems to make sense...but where do I place the image SYMBOL (your example below)?  DO I place that in the map file as well?
Little confused there....

Thanks Michael and Adam for your return replys.

yes, you have to define an image symbol in your symbolset and use that:

SYMBOL
  NAME 'church'
  TYPE pixmap
  IMAGE 'church.gif'
  TRANSPARENT 5
END

then use
SYMBOL 'church' in your style.

Cheers, Michael

2010/9/16 Jay Kapalczynski <jkapalczynski@...>:

> In a map file...Is there a way to use an image (jpg, bmp, png) instead of a
> marker symbol (star, circle etc) when symbolizing points
>

>        LAYER
>
>              DUMP TRUE
>
>              NAME 'Firestations'
>
>              DATA 'firestations'
>
>              TYPE POINT
>
>              STATUS ON
>
>              CLASS
>
>                NAME 'Fire Stations'
>
>                COLOR 254 0 0
>
>                     INSTEAD OF STAR PLACE AN IMAGE
>
>                SYMBOL "star"
>
>                    SIZE 8
>
>              END

RE: Symbology

Jay Kapalczynski

I added a few things to my sym file and got a few  to work

I can now call circle and get a circle….BUT for some reason the image will not work, maybe an issue with the image?  You have any test images that are known to work?

I have the image like this IMAGE 'bike.png' because the images are in the same folder as the .sym file

Any other thoughts….greatly appreciated….thanks

THIS WORKS

                     CLASS

                           NAME 'Last Week'

                           STYLE

                                  SYMBOL "circle"

                                  COLOR 0 0 0

                                  OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0

                                  #SIZE 12

                         END  # STYLE

                     END # CLASS

THIS DOES NOT WORK

                     CLASS

                           NAME 'Last Week'

                           STYLE

                                  SYMBOL "bike"

                                  COLOR 0 0 0

                                  OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0

                                  #SIZE 12

                         END  # STYLE

                     END # CLASS

.SYM FILE

Symbol

Name 'circle'

Type ELLIPSE

FILLED TRUE

Points

1 1

END

END

SYMBOL

    NAME 'circle-dashed'

    TYPE ELLIPSE

    FILLED TRUE

    POINTS 1 1 END

    STYLE 5 5 END

  END

SYMBOL

       NAME 'bike'

       TYPE pixmap

       IMAGE 'bike.png'

> [...]

David.

Ok that seems to make sense...but where do I place the image SYMBOL (your example below)?  DO I place that in the map file as well?
Little confused there....

Thanks Michael and Adam for your return replys.

yes, you have to define an image symbol in your symbolset and use that:

SYMBOL
  NAME 'church'
  TYPE pixmap
  IMAGE 'church.gif'
  TRANSPARENT 5
END

then use
SYMBOL 'church' in your style.

Cheers, Michael

2010/9/16 Jay Kapalczynski <jkapalczynski@...>:
> In a map file...Is there a way to use an image (jpg, bmp, png) instead of a
> marker symbol (star, circle etc) when symbolizing points

FW: [mapserver-users] Symbology

Fawcett, David (MNIT)

Apologies for the dup, my original response got embargoed due to the large image included…

RE: Symbology

Jay Kapalczynski

Thank you all for your help here….and I am quite embarrassed as to my solution…and more importantly sorry to take up your time, although I did learn a few things.

I moved everything into the map section and created a Symbol folder to hold the images and .sym files.

I placed the png in the map folder (as requested by David)

And it still didn’t work…looking closer I realized that the symbol name was “bike” although the image name was “bikes” one stupid ‘s’ and this results.

Although your help allowed me to move the files into the correct location, understand the connection between map file and sym file and images etc.

I thank you for all your help..much appreciated