Symbol image transparency problem

Jez Walters
Hello TileCachers, I'm not sure if I posted this question correctly last time, so I'm trying again! ;-) I'm displaying UK Ordnance Survey MasterMap vector maps using OpenLayers, TileCache and MapServer. The maps display perfectly when I use just MapServer ( MapServer.jpg ), as well as when I also use OpenLayers. However, when I add TileCache to the mix, the various symbol images are no longer transparent ( TileCache.jpg ). I don't have that much experience of TileCache, so any help/explanation would be most appreciated! Jez

Re: Symbol image transparency problem

Marco Nijdam
Dear Jez,

Could you please give more information on you setup?
E.g. mapfile, tilecache.cfg file.
Are all layers tiled into one tilecache, or are you overlaying multiple
layers?

Kind regards,
--
-- Marco Nijdam
--

As quoted from Jez Walters:

> Hello TileCachers,
>
> I'm not sure if I posted this question correctly last time, so I'm trying
> again!  ;-)
>
> I'm displaying UK Ordnance Survey MasterMap vector maps using OpenLayers,
> TileCache and MapServer.  The maps display perfectly when I use just
> MapServer (
> http://osgeo-org.1803224.n2.nabble.com/file/n5389483/MapServer.jpg
> MapServer.jpg  ), as well as when I also use OpenLayers.  However, when I
> add TileCache to the mix, the various symbol images are no longer
> transparent (
> http://osgeo-org.1803224.n2.nabble.com/file/n5389483/TileCache.jpg
> TileCache.jpg  ).
>
> I don't have that much experience of TileCache, so any help/explanation
> would be most appreciated!
>
> Jez

RE: Symbol image transparency problem

Jez Walters

Jeff,

Thanks for the advice, but how exactly do I do as you suggest?  Do I need to set the “extension” parameter, and if so what value should I use – the online documentation doesn’t indicate how to use this parameter.  I tried adding “extension=png”, but that didn’t change anything.

Warm regards,

Jez

RE: Symbol image transparency problem

Jez Walters
Marco,

It took some work, but I've pared it down to the attached mapfile and tilecache.cfg.  For completeness I've enclosed my OpenLayers configuration and the image file too, just in case either of these are the culprit.

Any thoughts as to where I'm going wrong - or is it a bug in TileCache?

Jez

Jez Walters
Senior Consultant

direct phone: +44 (0)1225 475093
phone: +44 (0)1225 475000
fax: +44 (0)1225 444400
email: [hidden email]

IPL Information Processing Limited
Eveleigh House, Grove Street, Bath, BA1 5LR, UK
www.ipl.com

Could you please give more information on you setup?
E.g. mapfile, tilecache.cfg file.
Are all layers tiled into one tilecache, or are you overlaying multiple
layers?

Kind regards,
--
-- Marco Nijdam
--

As quoted from Jez Walters:

> Hello TileCachers,
>
> I'm not sure if I posted this question correctly last time, so I'm trying
> again!  ;-)
>
> I'm displaying UK Ordnance Survey MasterMap vector maps using OpenLayers,
> TileCache and MapServer.  The maps display perfectly when I use just
> MapServer (
> http://osgeo-org.1803224.n2.nabble.com/file/n5389483/MapServer.jpg
> MapServer.jpg  ), as well as when I also use OpenLayers.  However, when I
> add TileCache to the mix, the various symbol images are no longer
> transparent (
> http://osgeo-org.1803224.n2.nabble.com/file/n5389483/TileCache.jpg
> TileCache.jpg  ).
>
> I don't have that much experience of TileCache, so any help/explanation
> would be most appreciated!
>
> Jez

confidential and/or privileged material. If you are not the
addressee, any disclosure, reproduction, copying,
distribution, or other dissemination or use of this
communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this transmission in error please notify the sender
immediately and then delete this email.

Any representations or commitments expressed in this email
are subject to contract.

content. However, it is essential that the recipient also
checks this message using commercially available mail
scanning and anti-virus software. IPL Information Processing
Limited accepts no liability for any loss or damage resulting
from any virus or other dangerous content in this message.

IPL Information Processing Limited is registered in England
and Wales under company registration number 1418818.
Registration took place at Cardiff on 10 May 1979. IPL
Information Processing Limited's registered office and
normal place of business is Eveleigh House, Grove Street,
Bath, BA1 5LR, United Kingdom. IPL is also registered for
Value Added Tax (VAT) under registration number GB 601 2931 83.

Test.map (1K) Download Attachment
tilecache.cfg (3K) Download Attachment
IPMap.html (3K) Download Attachment
positionedNonconiferousTreeSymbol.png (1K) Download Attachment

RE: Symbol image transparency problem

Marco Nijdam
Dear Jez,

In your config files, I do not see the underlying topographic layer you
had in your original screen capture.
If you tilecache only the symbols, and the format would not be PNG,
I would expect the background topo layer to be completely hidden.
Since the problem you originally showed was the symbols only to be
non-transparent, but not the room between the symbols,
I'm not sure if we have the complete solution.

Based on the config files you provided, I agree with Jess you need to add
"extension=png" to you tilecache.cfg, in the [ipmap] section.

You also need to request the tiles as PNG, by specifying the format
in the OpenLayers.Layers.WMS constructor, as part of the list of
options in the third argument. So

    layer = new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS("Map",
                                  urls,
                                  {
                                    layers: 'ipmap',
                                    format: 'image/png'
                                  });

Finally you need to remove all existing tiles, to make sure they are
properly generated.

Kind regards,
--
-- Marco Nijdam
--

As quoted from Jez Walters:

> Marco,
>
> It took some work, but I've pared it down to the attached mapfile and
> tilecache.cfg.  For completeness I've enclosed my OpenLayers configuration
> and the image file too, just in case either of these are the culprit.
>
> Any thoughts as to where I'm going wrong - or is it a bug in TileCache?
>
> Jez

> Jez Walters
> Senior Consultant
>
> direct phone: +44 (0)1225 475093
> phone: +44 (0)1225 475000
> fax: +44 (0)1225 444400
> email: [hidden email]
>

> IPL Information Processing Limited
> Eveleigh House, Grove Street, Bath, BA1 5LR, UK
> www.ipl.com

My sample configuration is a cut-down version of my current 'live' mapfile, which is over 1500 lines long and is split over several files.  I'll see if I can knock up a better example that demonstrates the problem I'm still having.

In the meantime, I tried adding "extension=png" to my tilecache.cfg and adding "format: 'image/png'" to my OpenLayers invocation (as well as flushing the tile cache), but this had no effect.  The comments in the default tilecache.cfg indicate that "extension=png" is the default setting, so I guess adding this wouldn't make a difference anyway?

Warm regards,

Jez

In your config files, I do not see the underlying topographic layer you
had in your original screen capture.
If you tilecache only the symbols, and the format would not be PNG,
I would expect the background topo layer to be completely hidden.
Since the problem you originally showed was the symbols only to be
non-transparent, but not the room between the symbols,
I'm not sure if we have the complete solution.

Based on the config files you provided, I agree with Jess you need to add
"extension=png" to you tilecache.cfg, in the [ipmap] section.

You also need to request the tiles as PNG, by specifying the format
in the OpenLayers.Layers.WMS constructor, as part of the list of
options in the third argument. So

    layer = new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS("Map",
                                  urls,
                                  {
                                    layers: 'ipmap',
                                    format: 'image/png'
                                  });

Finally you need to remove all existing tiles, to make sure they are
properly generated.

Kind regards,
--
-- Marco Nijdam
--

As quoted from Jez Walters:

> Marco,
>
> It took some work, but I've pared it down to the attached mapfile and
> tilecache.cfg.  For completeness I've enclosed my OpenLayers configuration
> and the image file too, just in case either of these are the culprit.
>
> Any thoughts as to where I'm going wrong - or is it a bug in TileCache?
>
> Jez

I've already tried that and I'm afraid it makes no difference.  Is it time to raise a TileCache bug?

Regards,

Jez

You may want to try adding "&TRANSPARENT=true" to the URL parameters
of the WMS service URL in the tilecache.cfg file.

Kind regards,
--
-- Marco Nijdam
--

As quoted from Jez Walters:

> Marco,
>

> My sample configuration is a cut-down version of my current 'live'
> mapfile, which is over 1500 lines long and is split over several files.
> I'll see if I can knock up a better example that demonstrates the problem
> I'm still having.
>
> In the meantime, I tried adding "extension=png" to my tilecache.cfg and
> adding "format: 'image/png'" to my OpenLayers invocation (as well as
> flushing the tile cache), but this had no effect.  The comments in the
> default tilecache.cfg indicate that "extension=png" is the default
> setting, so I guess adding this wouldn't make a difference anyway?
>

> Warm regards,
>

> Jez

No, since we don't know the cause of the problem yet. Please make a
simple configuration with all relevant layers that explains the problem.
As mentioned, your earlier configuration didn't contain a topographic
layer, so could not explain the actual problem.

Kind regards,
--
-- Marco Nijdam

joel bandibas
Jez,

I had similar transparency problem before and solved it with the correct OUTPUTFORMAT setting of the Mapserver map file.  YOu did not show your OUTPUTFORMAT setting in your map file but I assume that the IMAGEMODE is RGB.  RGB mode does not support transparency (check Mapserver  documentation http://mapserver.org/mapfile/outputformat.html) . Yes, it is strange for even with that setting, transparency works in OpenLayers. Anyway, make the following changes and add the following OUTPUTFORMAT setting bellow in your map file and see if it works:

IMAGETYPE PNG
IMAGECOLOR  255 255 255

OUTPUTFORMAT
  NAME PNG
  DRIVER "GD/PNG"
  MIMETYPE "image/png"
  IMAGEMODE PC256
  EXTENSION "png"
  TRANSPARENT ON
END
Good day.

Joel
GSJ/AIST

Thanks for the advice, but how exactly do I do as you suggest?  Do I need to set the “extension” parameter, and if so what value should I use – the online documentation doesn’t indicate how to use this parameter.  I tried adding “extension=png”, but that didn’t change anything.

Warm regards,

Jez

RE: Symbol image transparency problem

Jez Walters

Joel,

I had a go dabbling with OUTPUTFORMAT too, but so far to no avail.  Anyway, I’ve just made the changes you recommended, but I’m afraid it doesn’t make any difference – my symbol images are still not displayed transparently when I use TileCache.  :-(

Thanks for the suggestion though!