Switching style to use external graphic only when not clustered

Switching style to use external graphic only when not clustered

dnbphysicist
Hello all,

I'm having a hard time getting my clustered vector layer to display points with an external graphic ONLY when they are not clustered. In other words when feature.cluster is defined and feature.attributes.count > 1, I want to use a style that doesn't involve an external graphic at all, but rather one like in this example: http://dev.openlayers.org/releases/OpenLayers-2.13.1/examples/strategy-cluster-threshold.html. Is there a way to change the style itself (not just the attributes) of a single feature dynamically and still have them cluster? Or is there another way to do this?

Thanks in advance!