Suspicious:Opensearch.org web search in GeoNetwork

Suspicious:Opensearch.org web search in GeoNetwork

François-Xavier PRUNAYRE

Hi all, I’ve added a simple support for opensearch.org (http://www.opensearch.org) web search spec into GeoNetwork. Opensearch describe a search engine so that it can be used by search client application (eg. firefox, IE, http://www.opensearch.org/Community/OpenSearch_search_clients). That’s an easy way to search into a catalog directly from our browsers.

“For example, the Search bar of Firefox comes pre-loaded with search engines for Google, Yahoo!, Amazon, eBay, Answers.com, and Creative Commons. Wherever you are on the Web, you can enter a search term in the Search bar and receive immediate answers from the search engine you’ve chosen. You can select a new search engine from the Search bar menu at any time, and add search engines from hundreds of your favorite Web sites.”… including your favourite GeoNetwork catalog !

Demo web site based on svn trunk : http://dev.sandre.eaufrance.fr/geonetwork/

The xml description of the opensearch service is :  http://dev.sandre.eaufrance.fr/geonetwork/srv/en/portal.opensearch

If that functionality sounds nice to all, I could add it to the trunk? Any comments?

Cheers.

Francois

Re: Suspicious:Opensearch.org web search in GeoNetwork

Jeroen Ticheler-3
Hi Francois,
Sounds nice to me! I didn't see how I should add it to Firfox though... What should I do?
Ciao,
Jeroen

On Aug 27, 2007, at 12:27 PM, François-Xavier PRUNAYRE wrote:

[...]

Suspicious:RE: Suspicious:Opensearch.org web searchin GeoNetwork

François-Xavier PRUNAYRE

Hi Jeroen, on firefox go to the main page, then you shloud have some "signal" left to the google icon J ... at least on my firefox (v 2.0.0.6),

you should have a text box to do quick search using google search (by default) right to the url, click on the google icon and you should have at the bottom of the list "add Geonetwork|sandre|geonetwork", then select that search engine and you will get the search result page of geonetwork ...

It should also work on safari :

http://www.cartoonbarry.com/2007/06/opensearch_for_safari_nope_but.html

Works fine with IE7

Ciao. Francois

[...]

Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.

Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >>  http://get.splunk.com/

Re: Suspicious:Opensearch.org web search in GeoNetwork

annina
Just tried it, very nice feature, thx François!

It is very simple. just click on the link  http://dev.sandre.eaufrance.fr/geonetwork/

Go to the search bar in FF, IE. (normaly first engine is google) then select "Add Geonetwork/sandre/geonetwork

That's all. now you can enter a search term where ever you are to search Geonetwork

Cheers
Annina

Jeroen Ticheler-3 wrote
Hi Francois,
Sounds nice to me! I didn't see how I should add it to Firfox
though... What should I do?
Ciao,
Jeroen

On Aug 27, 2007, at 12:27 PM, François-Xavier PRUNAYRE wrote:

> Hi all, I’ve added a simple support for opensearch.org (http://
> www.opensearch.org) web search spec into GeoNetwork. Opensearch
> describe a search engine so that it can be used by search client
> application (eg. firefox, IE, http://www.opensearch.org/Community/
> OpenSearch_search_clients). That’s an easy way to search into a
> catalog directly from our browsers.
>
> “For example, the Search bar of Firefox comes pre-loaded with
> search engines for Google, Yahoo!, Amazon, eBay, Answers.com, and
> Creative Commons. Wherever you are on the Web, you can enter a
> search term in the Search bar and receive immediate answers from
> the search engine you’ve chosen. You can select a new search engine
> from the Search bar menu at any time, and add search engines from
> hundreds of your favorite Web sites.”… including your favourite
> GeoNetwork catalog !
>
> Demo web site based on svn trunk : http://dev.sandre.eaufrance.fr/
> geonetwork/
>
> The xml description of the opensearch service is :  http://
> dev.sandre.eaufrance.fr/geonetwork/srv/en/portal.opensearch
>

> If that functionality sounds nice to all, I could add it to the
> trunk? Any comments?
>
> Cheers.
>
> Francois

> projects/geonetwork

Re: Suspicious:Opensearch.org web search in GeoNetwork

Mathieu Coudert-3
Indeed, very nice feature and easy to use!
Sounds nice to me  too!

ciao,
mathieu

--

Mathieu COUDERT

Camptocamp France SAS
Savoie Technolac, BP 352
73377 Le Bourget du Lac, Cedex

Tel : +33 (0)4 79 26 57 88
Mail : [hidden email]
http://www.camptocamp.com

Re: Suspicious:Opensearch.org websearch in GeoNetwork

François-Xavier PRUNAYRE
We only need a common geo-metadata-catalog to search GIS data & services in
now ;)

Indeed, very nice feature and easy to use!Sounds nice to me  too!
ciao,mathieu
KOGIS a écrit :> Hi all,> Just tried it, very nice feature, thx François!>>
It is very simple. just click on the link >
http://dev.sandre.eaufrance.fr/geonetwork/>> Go to the search bar in FF, IE.
(normaly first engine is google) then select> "Add
Geonetwork/sandre/geonetwork>> That's all. now you can enter a search term
where ever you are to search> Geonetwork>> Cheers> Annina>>> Jeroen
Ticheler-3 wrote:>   >> Hi Francois,>> Sounds nice to me! I didn't see how I
should add it to Firfox  >> though... What should I do?>> Ciao,>> Jeroen>>>>
On Aug 27, 2007, at 12:27 PM, François-Xavier PRUNAYRE wrote:>>>>     >>> Hi

[hidden email]://www.camptocamp.com

Re: Suspicious:Opensearch.org websearch in GeoNetwork

Jeroen Ticheler-3
Do we really? I agree it would be nice, but at this stage maybe a bit
complicated. Maybe the function will just point to the installed
catalog!?
Ciao,
Jeroen