Supporting the Openlayers call for funding

Supporting the Openlayers call for funding

Jo Cook
Hi List,

The OpenLayers Development Organisation has recently announced a call for funding for Openlayers 6- see https://github.com/openlayers/openlayers/wiki/Openlayers-6:-call-for-funding.

OSGeo:UK are considering donating some funds to this- it's an ambitious target but incredibly important. If anyone feels strongly that we should not do this, please contact me off list to discuss.

Furthermore, I'd like to draw your attention to the final lines in the call for funding:

"If you are a user of Openlayers, if this library is important to your business, you are encouraged to join this one time call for funding targeting Vector Tiles or to support on a long-term basis the maintenance and further developments of the Openlayers project. This is the only way to ensure this open source mapping library stays up-to-date and provides a long-term top-notch solution for users aiming at avoiding software vendor lock, such as the one provided by proprietary software editors or SaaS providers ones."

If you are a representative of a company or organisation that makes use of Openlayers, could I urge you to also consider donating some funds to this. Openlayers is one of the bedrock programs of the opensource GIS ecosystem and deserves all the support it can get.

All the best

Jo

--
Jo Cook
t:+44 7930 524 155/twitter:@archaeogeek

Astun Technology Ltd, The Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18 7RL, UK
t:+44 1372 744 009 w: astuntechnology.com twitter:@astuntech

Company registration no. 5410695. Registered in England and Wales. Registered office: 120 Manor Green Road, Epsom, Surrey, KT19 8LN VAT no. 864201149.

Re: Supporting the Openlayers call for funding

Jo Cook
Hi List,

Just to update, OSGeo:UK did indeed donate €1000 to the OpenLayers call for funding. They have managed to raise €250K of their €350K target so far, which is impressive!

Again, I'd urge any organisations using OpenLayers, or getting any kind of benefit from the work the OpenLayers Development Organisation does, to consider also contributing to this funding call.

Regards

Jo