Supporting OSGeo4W

pcav
Dear OSGEO Board

We are writing to petition your help both financially and for general
support with the OSGEO4W project. Over the years, OSGEO4W (started by
Frank Warmerdam and Jürgen Fischer) has become the de-facto delivery
mechanism to Windows users for many of the projects that make up OSGEO -
including GDAL, PROJ, GRASS, QGIS and many more.

Currently, most of the maintenance and improvements to OSGEO4W are
carried out through activities of the QGIS packaging process (our
windows standalone packages are based on OSGEO4W). This includes using a
portion of the income donated to QGIS.org each year to support the
OSGEO4W project.

Since OSGEO4W plays such a central role in the OSGEO landscape we would
like to ask you to 'adopt' the OSGEO4W project financially and also help
with marshalling more contributors to the project so that it is not a
'one man show' - which represents a vulnerability to the long term
prospects of this project. You can see these sentiments reflected in the
budget request for supporting OSGEO4W in the OSGEO budget call. This
budget request represents 50% of the anticipated budget for funded
OSGEO4W work for 2020, with the remainder being funded by QGIS.org for
the interim.

Regards

The QGIS team.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: Supporting OSGeo4W

jody.garnett
Paolo:

OSGeo4W is already "adopted" by OSGeo as part of the community project program. While the project does not have an independent budget (until it goes through incubation) it does have access to funding through attending board meetings.

I think if you look at the draft budget a request has already been made on behalf of OSGeo4W, indeed it appears to be funded as a joint initiative with QGIS.org.
--
Jody Garnett

On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 at 07:43, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Jody. Our request was in fact about having a stable budget, as
implied by an adoption, as it is IOHO a fundamental piece of
infrastructure, that deserve a stable commitment.
Cheers.

Il 16/01/20 17:06, Jody Garnett ha scritto:

> Paolo:
>
> OSGeo4W is already "adopted" by OSGeo as part of the community project
> program. While the project does not have an independent budget (until it
> goes through incubation) it does have access to funding through
> attending board meetings.
>
> I think if you look at the draft budget
> <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2020> a request has already
> been made on behalf of OSGeo4W, indeed it appears to be funded as a
> joint initiative with QGIS.org.
> --
> Jody Garnett
>

> On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 at 07:43, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Dear OSGEO Board
>
>     We are writing to petition your help both financially and for general
>     support with the OSGEO4W project. Over the years, OSGEO4W (started by
>     Frank Warmerdam and Jürgen Fischer) has become the de-facto delivery
>     mechanism to Windows users for many of the projects that make up OSGEO -
>     including GDAL, PROJ, GRASS, QGIS and many more.
>
>     Currently, most of the maintenance and improvements to OSGEO4W are
>     carried out through activities of the QGIS packaging process (our
>     windows standalone packages are based on OSGEO4W). This includes using a
>     portion of the income donated to QGIS.org each year to support the
>     OSGEO4W project.
>
>     Since OSGEO4W plays such a central role in the OSGEO landscape we would
>     like to ask you to 'adopt' the OSGEO4W project financially and also help
>     with marshalling more contributors to the project so that it is not a
>     'one man show' - which represents a vulnerability to the long term
>     prospects of this project. You can see these sentiments reflected in the
>     budget request for supporting OSGEO4W in the OSGEO budget call. This
>     budget request represents 50% of the anticipated budget for funded
>     OSGEO4W work for 2020, with the remainder being funded by QGIS.org for
>     the interim.
>
>     Regards
>
>     The QGIS team.
>     --
>     Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu <http://www.faunalia.eu>
>     QGIS.ORG <http://QGIS.ORG> Chair:
>     http://planet.qgis.org/planet/user/28/tag/qgis%20board/

Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: Supporting OSGeo4W

Till Adams-3
Dear Paolo,

thank you for your email. We've discussed your request on our last
meeting and as already qritten by Jody, there is a drafted OSGeo budget
already. Once it is approved, we will come back to you and explain our
thoughts to you. Also feel free to attend our next board meeting to
bring up your points. I am happy to add your request to the agenda.

Till

- on behalf of the OSGeo board -

Am 16.01.20 um 16:43 schrieb Paolo Cavallini:

> Dear OSGEO Board
>
> We are writing to petition your help both financially and for general
> support with the OSGEO4W project. Over the years, OSGEO4W (started by
> Frank Warmerdam and Jürgen Fischer) has become the de-facto delivery
> mechanism to Windows users for many of the projects that make up OSGEO -
> including GDAL, PROJ, GRASS, QGIS and many more.
>
> Currently, most of the maintenance and improvements to OSGEO4W are
> carried out through activities of the QGIS packaging process (our
> windows standalone packages are based on OSGEO4W). This includes using a
> portion of the income donated to QGIS.org each year to support the
> OSGEO4W project.
>
> Since OSGEO4W plays such a central role in the OSGEO landscape we would
> like to ask you to 'adopt' the OSGEO4W project financially and also help
> with marshalling more contributors to the project so that it is not a
> 'one man show' - which represents a vulnerability to the long term
> prospects of this project. You can see these sentiments reflected in the
> budget request for supporting OSGEO4W in the OSGEO budget call. This
> budget request represents 50% of the anticipated budget for funded
> OSGEO4W work for 2020, with the remainder being funded by QGIS.org for
> the interim.
>
> Regards
>
> The QGIS team.

Re: Supporting OSGeo4W

pcav
Thnks a lot Till

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: Supporting OSGeo4W

jody.garnett
I guess "adoption" is the key word we are not in a position to provide as an organization .. no other project is "adopted".

That said OSGeo4W is in an interesting position being a joint-initiative (is their an MOU to this effect?). An initiative gives the board a chance to fund it outside of the "community project" program. I think "MetaGIS" and "OSGeo Live" were also in this position ... and both made the transition to a full OSGeo project (resulting in some autonomy on budgeting and spending).

aside: If an MOU is made it would be good to update https://www.osgeo.org/partners/qgis-org-association/ to reflect this as a joint initiative.

In terms of treating OSGeo as a stable source of funding (for any project):

- OSZGeo is into year 4 of providing projects a budget (as a strategic shift from running as a low or no cost organization). It has taken this long for projects to notice funding is available :)
- Many projects position to use funds provided (as shown by the difference between the amount budgeted and the amount spent in any given year)
- Foundation budget guidance has always been a reflection of income (primarily from foss4g events). Rule of thumb is to be able to run 2-3 foss4g events without profit.
- TLDR: I would expect the "stability" to be flexible over time - OSGeo may not always be in a position to provide funds.

aside: We have had to drop our geroserver installer (due to lack of resources), it would be great to see this added back into OSGeo4W.
--
Jody Garnett

On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 at 08:10, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Jody. Our request was in fact about having a stable budget, as
implied by an adoption, as it is IOHO a fundamental piece of
infrastructure, that deserve a stable commitment.
Cheers.

Il 16/01/20 17:06, Jody Garnett ha scritto:
> Paolo:
>
> OSGeo4W is already "adopted" by OSGeo as part of the community project
> program. While the project does not have an independent budget (until it
> goes through incubation) it does have access to funding through
> attending board meetings.
>
> I think if you look at the draft budget
> <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2020> a request has already
> been made on behalf of OSGeo4W, indeed it appears to be funded as a
> joint initiative with QGIS.org.
> --
> Jody Garnett
>

> On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 at 07:43, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Dear OSGEO Board
>
>     We are writing to petition your help both financially and for general
>     support with the OSGEO4W project. Over the years, OSGEO4W (started by
>     Frank Warmerdam and Jürgen Fischer) has become the de-facto delivery
>     mechanism to Windows users for many of the projects that make up OSGEO -
>     including GDAL, PROJ, GRASS, QGIS and many more.
>
>     Currently, most of the maintenance and improvements to OSGEO4W are
>     carried out through activities of the QGIS packaging process (our
>     windows standalone packages are based on OSGEO4W). This includes using a
>     portion of the income donated to QGIS.org each year to support the
>     OSGEO4W project.
>
>     Since OSGEO4W plays such a central role in the OSGEO landscape we would
>     like to ask you to 'adopt' the OSGEO4W project financially and also help
>     with marshalling more contributors to the project so that it is not a
>     'one man show' - which represents a vulnerability to the long term
>     prospects of this project. You can see these sentiments reflected in the
>     budget request for supporting OSGEO4W in the OSGEO budget call. This
>     budget request represents 50% of the anticipated budget for funded
>     OSGEO4W work for 2020, with the remainder being funded by QGIS.org for
>     the interim.
>
>     Regards
>
>     The QGIS team.
>     --
>     Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu <http://www.faunalia.eu>
>     QGIS.ORG <http://QGIS.ORG> Chair:
>     http://planet.qgis.org/planet/user/28/tag/qgis%20board/

Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: Supporting OSGeo4W

jody.garnett
Hijacking this thread for a moment - what build infrastructure does OSGeo4W have in position for building and signing installers? There may be an opportunity here for GeoServer PSC to fund adding GeoServer windows installer into the mix (if you are already have a build server setup for such things).
--
Jody Garnett

On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 at 10:18, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>     Currently, most of the maintenance and improvements to OSGEO4W are
>     carried out through activities of the QGIS packaging process (our
>     windows standalone packages are based on OSGEO4W). This includes using a
>     portion of the income donated to QGIS.org each year to support the
>     OSGEO4W project.
>
>     Since OSGEO4W plays such a central role in the OSGEO landscape we would
>     like to ask you to 'adopt' the OSGEO4W project financially and also help
>     with marshalling more contributors to the project so that it is not a
>     'one man show' - which represents a vulnerability to the long term
>     prospects of this project. You can see these sentiments reflected in the
>     budget request for supporting OSGEO4W in the OSGEO budget call. This
>     budget request represents 50% of the anticipated budget for funded
>     OSGEO4W work for 2020, with the remainder being funded by QGIS.org for

Jürgen E. Fischer
Hi Jody,

On Thu, 16. Jan 2020 at 10:32:54 -0800, Jody Garnett wrote:
> Hijacking this thread for a moment - what build infrastructure does OSGeo4W
> have in position for building and signing installers? There may be an
> opportunity here for GeoServer PSC to fund adding
> GeoServer windows installer into the mix (if you are already have a build
> server setup for such things).

None.  The packages are built locally and then uploaded.   There are automated
nightlies of GRASS, QGIS, GDAL and PRØJ on internal machines (run by the Martin
Landa for GRASS and me for the rest).

Java stuff - if any - in OSGeo4W is currently orphaned.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer           norBIT GmbH             Tel. +49-4931-918175-31
Dipl.-Inf. (FH)             Rheinstraße 13          Fax. +49-4931-918175-50

Re: Supporting OSGeo4W

pcav
how could we proceed on this?
Cheers.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu

Re: Supporting OSGeo4W

jody.garnett

Edit the following page (

Recommend: Attend the meeting tomorrow on IRC to ask “in person”, and clarify any question you have with the board.
Jody

Hi all,

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
Jody Garnett

Re: Supporting OSGeo4W

Angelos Tzotsos
Hi Paolo,

The board has already approved the budget for 2020.
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2020

There is already a discussion item in the agenda for OSGeo4W:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2020-01-27#Current_items

Best regards,
Angelos

--
Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
Charter Member

Re: Supporting OSGeo4W

pcav
Dear OSGEO Board,
following the discussions in OSGeo and QGIS.ORG boards, I'm herewith
suggesting to budget a long term support for OSGeo4W, in order to give
good prospects for its long term maintenance of this crucial piece of
infrastructure. A reasonable amount can be estimated, but I guess it
will be in the order of 10.000 €.
All best wishes.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: Supporting OSGeo4W

Angelos Tzotsos
Dear Paolo,

Sorry for the delayed reply, I wanted to have the previous meeting
minutes in place.

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2020-01-27#Discuss_request_from_osgeo4w_for_yearly_budget

As we discussed, we will wait for feedback from SAC meeting before
making any decision.

Best regards,
Angelos

--
Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
Charter Member
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://users.ntua.gr/tzotsos

Re: Supporting OSGeo4W

pcav
Thanks, looking forward to this.
Cheers.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: Supporting OSGeo4W

Angelos Tzotsos

We have not heard back from SAC. Has this been discussed in one of their
meetings?

Best,
Angelos

--