Suggestions: OSGeo Marketing

Fernando Quadro-4
Hi All,

How are you? I would like to make some suggestions!

Yesterday I was seeing the OSGeo page, and I realized that the Link to LinkedIn is broken:

I removed the "beta" from the link, and it directed me to the OSGeo NL page. Do not you think it would be interesting to have an OSGeo page on LinkedIn?

Another thing I also thought, and I would suggest is to create a twitter profile for Planet OSGeo, and use a tweetfeed-type tool to feed the profile automatically!

I saw that Planet PostgreSQL (https://twitter.com/planetpostgres) uses this feature!

What do you think?

Re: Suggestions: OSGeo Marketing

jody.garnett
Yesterday I was seeing the OSGeo page, and I realized that the Link to LinkedIn is broken:

I removed the "beta" from the link, and it directed me to the OSGeo NL page. Do not you think it would be interesting to have an OSGeo page on LinkedIn?

That would be great! I looked at linked in a couple weeks ago for code sprint fundraising (I usually only use it for conferences) and was surprised at how active and engaged it was (compared to facebook at twitter).

Another thing I also thought, and I would suggest is to create a twitter profile for Planet OSGeo, and use a tweetfeed-type tool to feed the profile automatically!

I saw that Planet PostgreSQL (https://twitter.com/planetpostgres) uses this feature!

What do you think?

I do not know what is involved, is that the kind of thin you would ask the system admin committee to set up?

I do like the idea of taking our foundation-news items and automatically tweeting. The community-news is a bit more varied, with several personal blogs and corporate blogs in the mix. As such not all the headings are "on brand" for OSGeo to be tweeting unattended :)

Em qua, 10 de out de 2018 às 14:31, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> escreveu:
Yesterday I was seeing the OSGeo page, and I realized that the Link to LinkedIn is broken:

I removed the "beta" from the link, and it directed me to the OSGeo NL page. Do not you think it would be interesting to have an OSGeo page on LinkedIn?

That would be great! I looked at linked in a couple weeks ago for code sprint fundraising (I usually only use it for conferences) and was surprised at how active and engaged it was (compared to facebook at twitter).

Jody,

Yes, LinkedIn has a great engagement! I find it interesting for OSGeo as a foundation to have an official LinkedIn page because members, borders can add OSGeo to their resumes, and thereby create the "link" to the foundation page!

Many people use Open Source GIS tools and unfortunately do not know OSGeo, I say this because of the experience I have here in Brazil, especially!

Another thing I also thought, and I would suggest is to create a twitter profile for Planet OSGeo, and use a tweetfeed-type tool to feed the profile automatically!

I saw that Planet PostgreSQL (https://twitter.com/planetpostgres) uses this feature!

What do you think?

I do not know what is involved, is that the kind of thin you would ask the system admin committee to set up?

I do like the idea of taking our foundation-news items and automatically tweeting. The community-news is a bit more varied, with several personal blogs and corporate blogs in the mix. As such not all the headings are "on brand" for OSGeo to be tweeting unattended :)

I understand your preoccupation. And I think that care is really needed.

Maybe create a team (so that only one person is not overloaded), that daily see the posts of Planet, and post on twitter those who agree with the foundation! What do you think?

Best Regards,

Re: Suggestions: OSGeo Marketing

Cameron Shorter

On 11/10/18 4:58 am, Fernando Quadro wrote:

[...]

I really like this idea. I think that the twitter account should be "planet-osgeo" rather than "osgeo" so that people can sign up to it separately. As Jody mentions, the Planet OSGeo often contains content more diverse than just OSGeo.

If you are volunteering to do the work to set it up, then I'd back you.

Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: Suggestions: OSGeo Marketing

Astrid Emde (OSGeo)
Hello,

looks like an OSGeo page already exists as showcase or focuspage

https://www.linkedin.com/showcase/osgeo/

Maybe OSGeo should not be a company?

I must admit that I do not know LinkedIn so much.

I take care of our twitter account and at the moment that is enough for
me.

Astrid

Am 10.10.2018 21:18 schrieb Cameron Shorter:

> On 11/10/18 4:58 am, Fernando Quadro wrote:
>
>> Another thing I also thought, and I would suggest is to create a
>> twitter profile for Planet OSGeo, and use a tweetfeed-type tool to
>> feed the profile automatically!
>>
>> I saw that Planet PostgreSQL (https://twitter.com/planetpostgres
>> [1]) uses this feature!
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> I do not know what is involved, is that the kind of thin you would
>> ask the system admin committee to set up?
>>
>> I do like the idea of taking our foundation-news items and
>> automatically tweeting. The community-news is a bit more varied,
>> with several personal blogs and corporate blogs in the mix. As such
>> not all the headings are "on brand" for OSGeo to be tweeting
>> unattended :)
>
> I understand your preoccupation. And I think that care is really
> needed.
>
> Maybe create a team (so that only one person is not overloaded), that
> daily see the posts of Planet, and post on twitter those who agree
> with the foundation! What do you think? I really like this idea. I
> think that the twitter account should be "planet-osgeo" rather than
> "osgeo" so that people can sign up to it separately. As Jody mentions,
> the Planet OSGeo often contains content more diverse than just OSGeo.
>
>  If you are volunteering to do the work to set it up, then I'd back
> you.
>
>  Cheers,
>
> --
> Cameron Shorter
> Technology Demystifier
>
> M +61 (0) 419 142 254
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] https://twitter.com/planetpostgres

Re: Suggestions: OSGeo Marketing

Fernando Quadro-4
Hi All,

Responding to Cameron, I also think it should be a profile of the planet OSGeo (twitter.com/planetosgeo), regardless of the profile of OSGeo (twitter.com/osgeo).

I can create yes, no problem! Just need to know which email will be the account owner (example: [hidden email])?

About LinkedIn, this showcase* was created by Get Interactive:

In my opinion, the correct thing was to create a Company page for OSGeo. I can help, I just need to know how to proceed!

Em qui, 11 de out de 2018 às 03:22, Astrid Emde (OSGeo) <[hidden email]> escreveu:
Hello,

looks like an OSGeo page already exists as showcase or focuspage

https://www.linkedin.com/showcase/osgeo/

Maybe OSGeo should not be a company?

I must admit that I do not know LinkedIn so much.

I take care of our twitter account and at the moment that is enough for
me.

Astrid

Am 10.10.2018 21:18 schrieb Cameron Shorter:
> On 11/10/18 4:58 am, Fernando Quadro wrote:
>
>> Another thing I also thought, and I would suggest is to create a
>> twitter profile for Planet OSGeo, and use a tweetfeed-type tool to
>> feed the profile automatically!
>>
>> I saw that Planet PostgreSQL (https://twitter.com/planetpostgres
>> [1]) uses this feature!
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> I do not know what is involved, is that the kind of thin you would
>> ask the system admin committee to set up?
>>
>> I do like the idea of taking our foundation-news items and
>> automatically tweeting. The community-news is a bit more varied,
>> with several personal blogs and corporate blogs in the mix. As such
>> not all the headings are "on brand" for OSGeo to be tweeting
>> unattended :)
>
> I understand your preoccupation. And I think that care is really
> needed.
>
> Maybe create a team (so that only one person is not overloaded), that
> daily see the posts of Planet, and post on twitter those who agree
> with the foundation! What do you think? I really like this idea. I
> think that the twitter account should be "planet-osgeo" rather than
> "osgeo" so that people can sign up to it separately. As Jody mentions,
> the Planet OSGeo often contains content more diverse than just OSGeo.
>
>  If you are volunteering to do the work to set it up, then I'd back
> you.
>
>  Cheers,
>
> --
> Cameron Shorter
> Technology Demystifier
>
> M +61 (0) 419 142 254
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] https://twitter.com/planetpostgres

Re: Suggestions: OSGeo Marketing

Fernando Quadro-4
Hi

I'm trying to create the OSGeo page on LinkedIn, but due to the showcase created by Get Interactive, it does not allow me to create an "OSGeo" company.

osgeo_LinkedIn.png

Does anyone have Get Interactive contact, and could contact them (or give me the contact) and ask them to rename or delete this showcase?

Em qui, 11 de out de 2018 às 14:46, Fernando Quadro <[hidden email]> escreveu:
Hi All,

Responding to Cameron, I also think it should be a profile of the planet OSGeo (twitter.com/planetosgeo), regardless of the profile of OSGeo (twitter.com/osgeo).

I can create yes, no problem! Just need to know which email will be the account owner (example: [hidden email])?

About LinkedIn, this showcase* was created by Get Interactive:

In my opinion, the correct thing was to create a Company page for OSGeo. I can help, I just need to know how to proceed!

Em qui, 11 de out de 2018 às 03:22, Astrid Emde (OSGeo) <[hidden email]> escreveu:
Hello,

looks like an OSGeo page already exists as showcase or focuspage

https://www.linkedin.com/showcase/osgeo/

Maybe OSGeo should not be a company?

I must admit that I do not know LinkedIn so much.

I take care of our twitter account and at the moment that is enough for
me.

Astrid

Am 10.10.2018 21:18 schrieb Cameron Shorter:
> On 11/10/18 4:58 am, Fernando Quadro wrote:
>
>> Another thing I also thought, and I would suggest is to create a
>> twitter profile for Planet OSGeo, and use a tweetfeed-type tool to
>> feed the profile automatically!
>>
>> I saw that Planet PostgreSQL (https://twitter.com/planetpostgres
>> [1]) uses this feature!
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> I do not know what is involved, is that the kind of thin you would
>> ask the system admin committee to set up?
>>
>> I do like the idea of taking our foundation-news items and
>> automatically tweeting. The community-news is a bit more varied,
>> with several personal blogs and corporate blogs in the mix. As such
>> not all the headings are "on brand" for OSGeo to be tweeting
>> unattended :)
>
> I understand your preoccupation. And I think that care is really
> needed.
>
> Maybe create a team (so that only one person is not overloaded), that
> daily see the posts of Planet, and post on twitter those who agree
> with the foundation! What do you think? I really like this idea. I
> think that the twitter account should be "planet-osgeo" rather than
> "osgeo" so that people can sign up to it separately. As Jody mentions,
> the Planet OSGeo often contains content more diverse than just OSGeo.
>
>  If you are volunteering to do the work to set it up, then I'd back
> you.
>
>  Cheers,
>
> --
> Cameron Shorter
> Technology Demystifier
>
> M +61 (0) 419 142 254
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] https://twitter.com/planetpostgres

Re: Suggestions: OSGeo Marketing

Fernando Quadro-4
Hi All,

The LinkedIn staff today released the public URL "osgeo". The page is now available at the following link:

Some observations are important (see Screenshot_1.png):

1. Official page link
2. Headquarter: LinkedIn today requires that you have already declared a place for the company
3. Size of the background image. (Can anyone create it?)
4. LinkedIn requires that at least one office (address or PO) be inserted.

About items 2 and 4, my suggestion is to put the city and address of the next FOSS4G, what do you think?

At the moment the page administrators are me and Jody, but if anyone wants to help manage the page will be very welcome!

I also suggest, that anyone who has a profile on LinkedIn, add in their profile to OSGeo, as the example of Screenshot_2.png

Best Regards,

Em qui, 18 de out de 2018 às 09:57, Fernando Quadro <[hidden email]> escreveu:
> [...]

>> I do like the idea of taking our foundation-news items and
>> automatically tweeting. The community-news is a bit more varied,
>> with several personal blogs and corporate blogs in the mix. As such
>> not all the headings are "on brand" for OSGeo to be tweeting
>> unattended :)
>
> I understand your preoccupation. And I think that care is really
> needed.
>
> Maybe create a team (so that only one person is not overloaded), that
> daily see the posts of Planet, and post on twitter those who agree
> with the foundation! What do you think? I really like this idea. I
> think that the twitter account should be "planet-osgeo" rather than
> "osgeo" so that people can sign up to it separately. As Jody mentions,
> the Planet OSGeo often contains content more diverse than just OSGeo.
>
>  If you are volunteering to do the work to set it up, then I'd back

Screenshot_1.png (423K) Download Attachment
Screenshot_2.png (579K) Download Attachment

Re: Suggestions: OSGeo Marketing

delawen
Wow, my "OSGeo" references to linkedin were automatically updated. Nice one, Linkedin :)

Legally we have an official address somewhere on the US, but I like the idea of promoting FOSS4G.

On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 12:49 PM Fernando Quadro <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> I do like the idea of taking our foundation-news items and
>> automatically tweeting. The community-news is a bit more varied,
>> with several personal blogs and corporate blogs in the mix. As such
>> not all the headings are "on brand" for OSGeo to be tweeting
>> unattended :)
>
> I understand your preoccupation. And I think that care is really
> needed.
>
> Maybe create a team (so that only one person is not overloaded), that
> daily see the posts of Planet, and post on twitter those who agree
> with the foundation! What do you think? I really like this idea. I
> think that the twitter account should be "planet-osgeo" rather than
> "osgeo" so that people can sign up to it separately. As Jody mentions,
> the Planet OSGeo often contains content more diverse than just OSGeo.
>
>  If you are volunteering to do the work to set it up, then I'd back

We have background graphics for social media in our repo :)

I would prefer we use our own address (FOSS4G is a different brand).

On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 4:21 AM María Arias de Reyna <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> I do like the idea of taking our foundation-news items and
>> automatically tweeting. The community-news is a bit more varied,
>> with several personal blogs and corporate blogs in the mix. As such
>> not all the headings are "on brand" for OSGeo to be tweeting
>> unattended :)
>
> I understand your preoccupation. And I think that care is really
> needed.
>
> Maybe create a team (so that only one person is not overloaded), that
> daily see the posts of Planet, and post on twitter those who agree
> with the foundation! What do you think? I really like this idea. I
> think that the twitter account should be "planet-osgeo" rather than
> "osgeo" so that people can sign up to it separately. As Jody mentions,
> the Planet OSGeo often contains content more diverse than just OSGeo.
>
>  If you are volunteering to do the work to set it up, then I'd back

Jody Garnett

Re: Suggestions: OSGeo Marketing

Fernando Quadro-4
Jody,

Do you have any image in the repository in these dimensions (1536 x 768) that we can use as background on the LinkedIn page?

If so, please tell me which one I can add already!

Best regards,

Em ter, 6 de nov de 2018 às 14:04, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> escreveu:
> [...]

>> I do like the idea of taking our foundation-news items and
>> automatically tweeting. The community-news is a bit more varied,
>> with several personal blogs and corporate blogs in the mix. As such
>> not all the headings are "on brand" for OSGeo to be tweeting
>> unattended :)
>
> I understand your preoccupation. And I think that care is really
> needed.
>
> Maybe create a team (so that only one person is not overloaded), that
> daily see the posts of Planet, and post on twitter those who agree
> with the foundation! What do you think? I really like this idea. I
> think that the twitter account should be "planet-osgeo" rather than
> "osgeo" so that people can sign up to it separately. As Jody mentions,
> the Planet OSGeo often contains content more diverse than just OSGeo.
>
>  If you are volunteering to do the work to set it up, then I'd back

Yes, it was one of the deliverables last year:

On Tue, 6 Nov 2018 at 08:57, Fernando Quadro <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> I do like the idea of taking our foundation-news items and
>> automatically tweeting. The community-news is a bit more varied,
>> with several personal blogs and corporate blogs in the mix. As such
>> not all the headings are "on brand" for OSGeo to be tweeting
>> unattended :)
>
> I understand your preoccupation. And I think that care is really
> needed.
>
> Maybe create a team (so that only one person is not overloaded), that
> daily see the posts of Planet, and post on twitter those who agree
> with the foundation! What do you think? I really like this idea. I
> think that the twitter account should be "planet-osgeo" rather than
> "osgeo" so that people can sign up to it separately. As Jody mentions,
> the Planet OSGeo often contains content more diverse than just OSGeo.
>
>  If you are volunteering to do the work to set it up, then I'd back

adam steer-2
hey all

just chiming in to say ‘fantastic stuff’! - well done. I second Jody re. address - just put whatever is the official address for Linkedin; and promote foss4g events by posting about them a bunch.

Using wordpress / jetpack, I can post stuff automagically to linkedin - is that something OSGeo would consider (for example, news items on the OSGeo blog get pushed to Linkedin)?

Cheers

Adam

On Wed, 7 Nov 2018 at 04:55, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> I do like the idea of taking our foundation-news items and
>> automatically tweeting. The community-news is a bit more varied,
>> with several personal blogs and corporate blogs in the mix. As such
>> not all the headings are "on brand" for OSGeo to be tweeting
>> unattended :)
>
> I understand your preoccupation. And I think that care is really
> needed.
>
> Maybe create a team (so that only one person is not overloaded), that
> daily see the posts of Planet, and post on twitter those who agree
> with the foundation! What do you think? I really like this idea. I
> think that the twitter account should be "planet-osgeo" rather than
> "osgeo" so that people can sign up to it separately. As Jody mentions,
> the Planet OSGeo often contains content more diverse than just OSGeo.
>
>  If you are volunteering to do the work to set it up, then I'd back

Ok Jody,

I already added the image on the LinkedIn page.

What do you think of sending an email in the discussion list (OSGeo Discuss), telling you the creation of the page and asking to update your profile and like the page?

Em ter, 6 de nov de 2018 às 15:55, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> escreveu:
> [...]

>> I do like the idea of taking our foundation-news items and
>> automatically tweeting. The community-news is a bit more varied,
>> with several personal blogs and corporate blogs in the mix. As such
>> not all the headings are "on brand" for OSGeo to be tweeting
>> unattended :)
>
> I understand your preoccupation. And I think that care is really
> needed.
>
> Maybe create a team (so that only one person is not overloaded), that
> daily see the posts of Planet, and post on twitter those who agree
> with the foundation! What do you think? I really like this idea. I
> think that the twitter account should be "planet-osgeo" rather than
> "osgeo" so that people can sign up to it separately. As Jody mentions,
> the Planet OSGeo often contains content more diverse than just OSGeo.
>
>  If you are volunteering to do the work to set it up, then I'd back

That is a great idea, please send "on behalf of the marketing committee", being sure to phrase the email as a news update and invitation.

Thank you for joining the marketing committee Fernando.
--
Jody Garnett

On Wed, 7 Nov 2018 at 03:09, Fernando Quadro <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> I do like the idea of taking our foundation-news items and
>> automatically tweeting. The community-news is a bit more varied,
>> with several personal blogs and corporate blogs in the mix. As such
>> not all the headings are "on brand" for OSGeo to be tweeting
>> unattended :)
>
> I understand your preoccupation. And I think that care is really
> needed.
>
> Maybe create a team (so that only one person is not overloaded), that
> daily see the posts of Planet, and post on twitter those who agree
> with the foundation! What do you think? I really like this idea. I
> think that the twitter account should be "planet-osgeo" rather than
> "osgeo" so that people can sign up to it separately. As Jody mentions,
> the Planet OSGeo often contains content more diverse than just OSGeo.
>
>  If you are volunteering to do the work to set it up, then I'd back

Can you change the link to LinkedIn on the OSGeo page?

Screenshot_1.png (24K) Download Attachment

Re: Suggestions: OSGeo Marketing

jody.garnett
I cannot since it is part of the "theme" we can however ask the sys admin committee to do so :)

To ask report a bug here - https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo (if you look at the list for website you can see some examples )
--
Jody Garnett