Style (.sld) syntax

Roland Shield
RE: OGC 02-070 / Version 1.0.0 / 11.4.3 / page 46

I am attempting to manipulate the font parameters in order to display an
'Arial' font-family instead of a 'Serif' font-family.
However, in all of my attempts to do so, the text that is ultimately
displayed in my browser window appears to be some form of 'default' where
the style is definately serif-flavored and always the same font-size
regardless of my input.

There is some discussion about "vendor-specific" fonts and "vector-based"
fonts in this section of the document.
However, I am unaware as to just where the GeoServer gets said fonts from! I
am not a developer, merely a user here. I am using a Windows XP box and
indeed it has a number of True Type fonts, none of which are specifically
"S-e-r-i-f", though there is, in fact an "A-r-i-a-l" one. Still, it appears
that the GeoServer is responding to the "Serif" font-family parameter
nicely, but behaves badly when confronted with the "Arial" font-family
parameter.

Are there perhaps fonts loaded on the server that is being accessed from my
desktop to generate these .png images and *that* is where I would
verify/adjust/load font files?

Also, is there a tutorial/guide/example library avail;available anywhere for
.sld creation?

Roland Shield
GIS Analyst/Developer
C&S Valuation Technologies, Inc.