String Arrays in PostgreSQL

GeoServer - User mailing list

Hello all,

I have posted the following question on GIS StackExchange, then remembered the GeoServer lists, so I thought I would see if any one has any input. https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/306456/how-should-arrays-be-stored-in-postgresql-when-used-as-a-datastore-with-geoserve

The crux of my question is how to represent string data in arrays within PostgreSQL to utilize the feature for reading and writing from PostGIS arrays released in version 2.14.  As stated in the question, I have created two columns: one is a character varying array and one is a text array.  When registering the table in GeoServer as a layer, the text array column doesn’t show up in the feature type details, but the column with character varying data type does.  When trying to access the data via WFS, the character varying data type data is not serialized as a string, but is shown as "[Ljava.lang.String;@1748e3a9" for example.  Is there additional configuration needed in GeoServer, such as creating a custom schema, to handle the serialization of array data from PostgreSQL?

~ Phil

Re: String Arrays in PostgreSQL

geowolf
On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 11:11 PM Nugent, Philip J. via Geoserver-users <[hidden email]> wrote:

The crux of my question is how to represent string data in arrays within PostgreSQL to utilize the feature for reading and writing from PostGIS arrays released in version 2.14.  As stated in the question, I have created two columns: one is a character varying array and one is a text array.  When registering the table in GeoServer as a layer, the text array column doesn’t show up in the feature type details, but the column with character varying data type does.  When trying to access the data via WFS, the character varying data type data is not serialized as a string, but is shown as "[Ljava.lang.String;@1748e3a9" for example.  Is there additional configuration needed in GeoServer, such as creating a custom schema, to handle the serialization of array data from PostgreSQL?

Hi,
as far as I remember, array support was added at the "low" level, read and write and the datastore machinery,
followed by support encoding it out in GeoJSON, but that's it, there was no follow up on GML (we did not get sponsoring to do that part as well).
It can still be added of course, see this guide for adding new features in code:

Cheers
Andrea

==

GeoServer Professional Services from the experts! Visit http://goo.gl/it488V for more information. == Ing. Andrea Aime @geowolf Technical Lead GeoSolutions S.A.S. Via di Montramito 3/A 55054 Massarosa (LU) phone: +39 0584 962313 fax: +39 0584 1660272 mob: +39 339 8844549 http://www.geo-solutions.it http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it ------------------------------------------------------- Con riferimento alla normativa sul trattamento dei dati personali (Reg. UE 2016/679 - Regolamento generale sulla protezione dei dati “GDPR”), si precisa che ogni circostanza inerente alla presente email (il suo contenuto, gli eventuali allegati, etc.) è un dato la cui conoscenza è riservata al/i solo/i destinatario/i indicati dallo scrivente. Se il messaggio Le è giunto per errore, è tenuta/o a cancellarlo, ogni altra operazione è illecita. Le sarei comunque grato se potesse darmene notizia. This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. We remind that - as provided by European Regulation 2016/679 “GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email by mistake, please notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail.

Re: String Arrays in PostgreSQL

GeoServer - User mailing list

Hi Andrea,

Thanks for your response.  I tested several outputs of WFS and the array object string ([Ljava.lang.String;@1748e3a9) shows up in GeoJSON as well.  Is the support for encoding to GeoJSON happening at a lower level outside of WFS? If this is a case, I will look at requesting or contributing an enhancement if I am able.

Thank you,

Phil

Re: String Arrays in PostgreSQL

geowolf
Ah, you make a good remark. Indeed I saw the GeoJSON related changes in GeoTools, but GeoServer
is using its own encoder for GeoJSON, so yes, not even that format will handle arrays correctly.

Cheers
Andrea

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 2:46 PM Nugent, Philip J. <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Andrea,

Thanks for your response.  I tested several outputs of WFS and the array object string ([Ljava.lang.String;@1748e3a9) shows up in GeoJSON as well.  Is the support for encoding to GeoJSON happening at a lower level outside of WFS? If this is a case, I will look at requesting or contributing an enhancement if I am able.

Thank you,

Phil

Re: String Arrays in PostgreSQL

GeoServer - User mailing list