Stepping Down From CoC Committee

Camille Acey-2
Dear Everyone,

I am writing to let you know that I am stepping down from my position as co-chair of the OSGeo COC Committee. As some of you may know, at the time I initially became  involved with OSGeo, I was working at a company closely aligned with the organization and was excited to deepen my involvement in the community. However, I was let go from that company many months ago and have taken on a position in a different space. So, working with OSGeo is unfortunately no longer aligned with my goals.

I am glad for the lively exchanges I've had with many of you and hope the work can go on (Kristin, I hope your leg is fully healed soon!). That said, I need to drop off all OSGeo lists, but if you ever need to reach me, my email is [hidden email].

Thanks for your time and understanding.

Sincerely,
Camille

Re: Stepping Down From CoC Committee

Cameron Shorter-2
Hi Camille,
Thanks for your contributions to date, and all the best for the future.

Hi Kate,
I understand that you have been working with Camille as co-chair to date? What are your thoughts in moving forward? Do you have specific ideas on what you'd like to see done? What is your personal availability for involvement like?

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 6:52 AM, Camille Acey <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager
LISAsoft
Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf,
26 - 32 Pirrama Rd, Pyrmont NSW 2009

P +61 2 9009 5000,  W www.lisasoft.com,  F +61 2 9009 5099

Re: Stepping Down From CoC Committee

Camille Acey-2

Kate is not the co-chair, Kristin  (cc'd) is.

On Nov 19, 2015 16:17, "Cameron Shorter" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

P <a href="tel:%2B61%202%209009%205000" value="+61290095000" target="_blank">+61 2 9009 5000,  W www.lisasoft.com,  F <a href="tel:%2B61%202%209009%205099" value="+61290095099" target="_blank">+61 2 9009 5099

Re: Stepping Down From CoC Committee

K.Bott
Hi Cameron,

Actually, I'm co-chairing (although Kate has certainly been involved in discussions of these issues [thanks, Kate!]).

Apologies -- I've been a bit silent as of late because I broke my leg ~ a month ago while solo backpacking. I'm finally getting back on top of things post-surgery and mid-recovery.

Addressing your questions:
1) Thoughts moving forward. // I would very much like to continue as a co-chair -- so I am looking to have someone else step up to co-captain with me. If no one does so, I'll finish out the rest of my promised year-long term solo. (That said, I think a diversity of perspectives would be useful, and would prefer to have someone along with me.)

2) Specific ideas on what I'd like to see done. // Generally, I'd like to see the committee move forward per our board-approved mission [1] -- "[make] sure that OSGeo continues to be an inclusive and welcoming organization .... by (1) guiding policy around the CoC and other initiatives to increase diversity and (2) dealing with reports of violations of the CoC." I think this could take different forms depending on what is happening in the community. (I realize this is not a collection of 'specific ideas' -- curious to hear how others envision these things taking shape.)

3) Personal availability for involvement. // I am committed to supporting this kind of work; that said, geo is a small part of my job (educational technology @ a small liberal arts college) and I need to allocate my time accordingly. Another reason that I'd like a teammate in this work: increased capacity.

Hope this helps spark some initial discussions. List, thoughts?

cheers -
-kristin / k.bott

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 1:17 PM, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ah, many apologies Kristin and Kate for getting you mixed up.
I have a mental image of the three great K women of OSGeo. (Admittedly Kamille is spelt with a C, but still sounds like a K).

P <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:%2B61%202%209009%205000" value="+61290095000" target="_blank">+61 2 9009 5000,  W www.lisasoft.com,  F <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:%2B61%202%209009%205099" value="+61290095099" target="_blank">+61 2 9009 5099

--
Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager
LISAsoft
Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf,
26 - 32 Pirrama Rd, Pyrmont NSW 2009

P +61 2 9009 5000,  M +61 419 142 254, W www.lisasoft.com

The contents of this email are confidential and may be subject to legal or professional privilege and copyright. No representation is made that this email is free of viruses or other defects. If you have received this communication in error, you may not copy or distribute any part of it or otherwise disclose its contents to anyone. Please advise the sender of your incorrect receipt of this correspondence.

Re: Stepping Down From CoC Committee

Cameron Shorter
Hi Kristin,
Sorry to hear about breaking your leg. I appreciate how that can slow you down. I'm glad to hear you are still interested.

With regards to moving forward, I suggest there is a mismatch between scope of work identified in the wiki, and number of official people on the committee (currently 1):

In particular, the wiki talks about developing a CoC Implementation Policy and associated documentation, which I expect will be quite time consuming to develop.

So I suggest that we either:
* Reduce scope of work. Ie prioritise what in the wiki will be done first.
* Recruit members to the committee in order to spread work
* Align with other Open Source communities in order to share work

Warm regards, Cameron

On 20/11/2015 9:19 am, Kristin Bott wrote:
[...]

Hi, all --

Pardon the slight delay, getting this conversation going again. (And apologies for my silence for half of Oct and most of Nov; that backpacking tumble/broken bone happened mid-Oct and I'm still getting back to functional.)

(1) re: scope //

Indeed, the wiki talks about developing a CoC Implementation Policy -- -- the OSGeo board passed the CoC [1], but without a clear plan to make those ideas actionable. One of the goals (stated in the wiki [2]) of the committee is to make sure that OSGeo has a way to move the CoC from a well-intentioned theory to action. I don't think our scope is too unreasonable as it's written.

(2) re: member recruitment //

I'd be happy to see the committee members grow, and would love to have some help in getting that done.

(3) Aligning with other OS communities in order to share work //

There are other open source communities that are doing similar work, but all have slightly different variations on the theme of CoC (see resources in the CoC wiki [3]). When we drafted the CoC, we looked at resources from a variety of other OS organizations.

I am very interested in moving this forward, but I can't do this on my own. I'd love to get a co-pilot on board to help; even if folks aren't interested in serving as co-chair, I look forward to your input on what the committee looks like.

Looking forward to hearing what you think; hope all's well in your various corners.

cheers -
-kristin