Status of pdal-2.1 support?

Rich Shepard
I understand that work's in progress to support pdal-2.1 and higher in the
development branch, and I'm curious if there's an estimated date when it
might be available.

Regards,

Rich

Re: Status of pdal-2.1 support? [UPDATE]

Rich Shepard
On Mon, 25 May 2020, Rich Shepard wrote:

> I understand that work's in progress to support pdal-2.1 ...

Mea culpa! It's support for proj 7 that's holding up the build. How's that
coming along?

Rich

Re: Status of pdal-2.1 support? [UPDATE]

jmckenna
Administrator
On 2020-05-25 5:29 p.m., Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Mon, 25 May 2020, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
>> I understand that work's in progress to support pdal-2.1 ...
>
> Mea culpa! It's support for proj 7 that's holding up the build. How's that
> coming along?

Here's the recorded status for the adoption of PROJ throughout projects:
https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/wiki/proj.h-adoption-status

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
http://gatewaygeo.com/

On Mon, 25 May 2020, Jeff McKenna wrote:

> Here's the recorded status for the adoption of PROJ throughout projects:
> https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/wiki/proj.h-adoption-status

Jeff,

Thanks! If I read this correctly GRASS has adopted proj7 and the future but
it's PDAL (which I assume is shown in the list as PDL) that's hanging things
up. Sigh.

Stay well,

Rich

Re: Status of pdal-2.1 support? [UPDATE]

Rich Shepard
On Mon, 25 May 2020, Rich Shepard wrote:

> Thanks! If I read this correctly GRASS has adopted proj7 and the future
> but it's PDAL (which I assume is shown in the list as PDL) that's hanging
> things up. Sigh.

Well, now I'm thoroughly confused. The PDAL web landing page says they've
released version 2.1.0. Perhaps the proj adoption page refers to PDL, the
Program Design Language and not PDAL?

Grass 7.9.dev source code, when configured, reports it's using new PROJ 5+
API, but the web page on who's using which proj header file says that grass
has adopted proj.h which is the most recent since project.h was dropped with
proj6 and proj-api.h was supposed to be dropped with proj7.

When I run 'make' it eventually fails because,
v.in.pdal: error while loading shared libraries: libproj.so.15: cannot open

That's because proj-7.0.1 provides libproj.so.19.

Please help me understand.

Regards,

Rich

Re: Status of pdal-2.1 support? [UPDATE]

Maris Nartiss
otrd., 2020. g. 26. maijs, plkst. 01:00 — lietotājs Rich Shepard
(<[hidden email]>) rakstīja:

> When I run 'make' it eventually fails because,
> v.in.pdal: error while loading shared libraries: libproj.so.15: cannot open
>
> That's because proj-7.0.1 provides libproj.so.19.
>
> Please help me understand.

After upgrading to proj-7 you forgot to recompile all libraries
linking to proj. If you are running a system with pre-built packages,
go bark on your GIS package maintainer.
Be ware — mixing proj 6 and 7 in a single system is a road to failure.

> Regards,
>
> Rich

Good luck,
Māris.

On 2020-05-25 6:37 p.m., Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Mon, 25 May 2020, Jeff McKenna wrote:
>
>> Here's the recorded status for the adoption of PROJ throughout projects:
>> https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/wiki/proj.h-adoption-status
>
> Jeff,
>
> Thanks! If I read this correctly GRASS has adopted proj7 and the future but
> it's PDAL (which I assume is shown in the list as PDL) that's hanging
> things
> up. Sigh.
>
> Stay well,

Hey Rich!

PROJ is actually not a dependency of PDAL.

Good to chat again with you.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
http://gatewaygeo.com/

On 2020-05-26 8:10 a.m., Jeff McKenna wrote:

> On 2020-05-25 6:37 p.m., Rich Shepard wrote:
>> On Mon, 25 May 2020, Jeff McKenna wrote:
>>
>>> Here's the recorded status for the adoption of PROJ throughout projects:
>>> https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/wiki/proj.h-adoption-status
>>
>> Jeff,
>>
>> Thanks! If I read this correctly GRASS has adopted proj7 and the
>> future but
>> it's PDAL (which I assume is shown in the list as PDL) that's hanging
>> things
>> up. Sigh.
>>
>> Stay well,
>
> Hey Rich!
>
> PROJ is actually not a dependency of PDAL.

GDAL (and its PROJ support) handles the GDAL spatial referencing stuff,
so that's why (I believe) PDAL isn't listed on that page.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
http://gatewaygeo.com/

On Tue, 26 May 2020, Maris Nartiss wrote:

> After upgrading to proj-7 you forgot to recompile all libraries linking to
> proj. If you are running a system with pre-built packages, go bark on your
> GIS package maintainer.

Māris,

Each time proj, geos, or gdal is upgraded I rebuild the entire stack in that
order. So, when I upgraded to proj7 I rebuilt geos-3.8.1-x86_64-1_SBo and
gdal-3.0.4-x86_64-1_SBo. Is there another library dependent on proj?

>  Be ware — mixing proj 6 and 7 in a single system is a road to failure.

$ ls /var/log/packages/ | grep proj
proj-7.0.1-x86_64-1_SBo

When a package is upgraded it replaces the prior one.

On Tue, 26 May 2020, Jeff McKenna wrote:

> PROJ is actually not a dependency of PDAL.

jeff,

Yes, I realized that but lost track whether the library version error was
for PDAL or PROJ. Turns out it's PDAL.

Thanks,

On 2020-05-26 9:39 a.m., Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Tue, 26 May 2020, Maris Nartiss wrote:
>
>> After upgrading to proj-7 you forgot to recompile all libraries
>> linking to
>> proj. If you are running a system with pre-built packages, go bark on
>> your
>> GIS package maintainer.
>
> Māris,
>
> Each time proj, geos, or gdal is upgraded I rebuild the entire stack in
> that
> order. So, when I upgraded to proj7 I rebuilt geos-3.8.1-x86_64-1_SBo and
> gdal-3.0.4-x86_64-1_SBo. Is there another library dependent on proj?

Not sure in terms of GRASS specifically, but keep an eye open for PROJ
required in GeoTIFF and Spatialite libs as well.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
http://gatewaygeo.com/

Re: Status of pdal-2.1 support? [UPDATE]

Rich Shepard
On Tue, 26 May 2020, Jeff McKenna wrote:

> GDAL (and its PROJ support) handles the GDAL spatial referencing stuff, so
> that's why (I believe) PDAL isn't listed on that page.

jeff,

PDAL is the Point Data Abstraction Library and equivalent to GDAL, the
Geospatial Data Abstraction Library for raster and vector data.

On 2020-05-26 9:54 a.m., Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Tue, 26 May 2020, Jeff McKenna wrote:
>
>> GDAL (and its PROJ support) handles the GDAL spatial referencing
>> stuff, so
>> that's why (I believe) PDAL isn't listed on that page.
>
> jeff,
>
> PDAL is the Point Data Abstraction Library and equivalent to GDAL, the
> Geospatial Data Abstraction Library for raster and vector data.

Rich,

All of my messages were/are in regards to PDAL; in fact PROJ is not a
listed dependency of PDAL - GDAL is however.  That explains why you do
not see PDAL on the projects page for PROJ6 support.

(I also distribute/compile PDAL for Windows users, through MS4W, so I am
more than aware of your pain, ha, but on a harder level than unix ;)

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
http://gatewaygeo.com/

Re: Status of pdal-2.1 support?

Rich Shepard
On Mon, 25 May 2020, Rich Shepard wrote:

> I understand that work's in progress to support pdal-2.1 and higher in the
> development branch, and I'm curious if there's an estimated date when it
> might be available.

The issue when building grass-7.9.svn is that v.in.pdal is looking for
libproj.so.15 and the installed proj-7.0.1 provides libproj.so.19. This
seems to me to indicate the problem is in pdal so I've asked for help on
their mail list.

If the issue is in v.in.pdal please let me know and I'll try to fix it.

Regards,

Rich

Re: Status of pdal-2.1 support? [RESOLVED]

Rich Shepard
On Wed, 27 May 2020, Rich Shepard wrote:

> If the issue is in v.in.pdal please let me know and I'll try to fix it.

All issues resolved. I rebuilt and re-installed (in order) proj7, geos,
gdal, libgeotiff, and libspatialite. I think it was either libgeotiff or
libspatialite not being rebuilt that caused make to fail.

On 2020-05-27 1:34 p.m., Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Wed, 27 May 2020, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
>> If the issue is in v.in.pdal please let me know and I'll try to fix it.
>
> All issues resolved. I rebuilt and re-installed (in order) proj7, geos,
> gdal, libgeotiff, and libspatialite. I think it was either libgeotiff or
> libspatialite not being rebuilt that caused make to fail.
>
> Rich

Yes, I am also on the pdal list and it is interesting that everything I
said here is correct - PDAL does not depend on PROJ, it is GDAL who
links to PROJ, as well as my earlier warning to focus on GeoTIFF and
Spatialite libs linking to PROJ.

So it seems I am not as crazy as you think ;)

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
http://gatewaygeo.com/