Status check qwc2

Karl Magnus Jönsson

Hi all!
We are about to decide what our next step for QWC2 will be. It would be valuable knowing what other people planning, doing and using the project. I have a few questions:

·         Is there any plans for development in the near future and what is the focus then?

·         Is there anyone got an public web client in production or testing to get inspired how to configure?

·         Our approach to get good performance in our previous clients is to seed and cache requests for the layers in the map. In qwc2 every change in layer visibility or transparency results in a new request that is hard to cache efficient. I suppose that is an intended behavior. How are you thinking about getting good performance and user experience?

·         Another concern is how to customize without interfering too much with the code. For example if we want to develop an alternative layer tree widget. Could we just add our module and turn off the present without destroying it’s functionality? Is the code enough flexible and modular? Maybe a tricky question to answer. But the intention from the beginning was to have a flexible and modular client.

Happy for some answers.

Regards

Karl-Magnus Jönsson | Gis-Utvecklare
Geografisk information
Miljö- och samhällsbyggnadsförvaltningen
Kristianstads kommun
Besöksadress: Västra Storgatan 12
Postadress: 291 80 Kristianstad

Re: Status check qwc2

Sandro Mani

Hi

On 24.08.2017 13:45, Karl Magnus Jönsson wrote:
We at Sourcepole will be doing some development this fall focusing on various topics, among the most interesting ones perhaps stuff like editing, importing external WMS layers, visualizing height profiles.

·         Is there anyone got an public web client in production or testing to get inspired how to configure?

I suppose Kanton Zug has a good example: https://services.geo.zg.ch/qwc2

·         Our approach to get good performance in our previous clients is to seed and cache requests for the layers in the map. In qwc2 every change in layer visibility or transparency results in a new request that is hard to cache efficient. I suppose that is an intended behavior. How are you thinking about getting good performance and user experience?

I suppose the alternative is be to have one WMS request for each layer instead of one request for all layers, which is easier to cache but performs worse if no cache is available.

·         Another concern is how to customize without interfering too much with the code. For example if we want to develop an alternative layer tree widget. Could we just add our module and turn off the present without destroying it’s functionality? Is the code enough flexible and modular? Maybe a tricky question to answer. But the intention from the beginning was to have a flexible and modular client.

The codebase is modular, see [1], components are self-contained (as far as it makes sense) and can be individually activated/deactivated/replaced.

Hope this helps
Sandro

[1] https://github.com/qgis/qwc2/tree/master/QWC2Components/plugins

Re: Status check qwc2

Karl Magnus Jönsson

Thanks for a really fast answer. I’ve come up with to more questions:

·         Invit did some work on the client for redlining. There is still need for extend the server API to render this for printing. I suppose it’s not in the plans for this fall. Is it much work to do? And who can do it?

·         Would it be possible to use the one request for each layer approach without having to rebuild the whole client?

On 24.08.2017 14:17, Karl Magnus Jönsson wrote:

Thanks for a really fast answer. I’ve come up with to more questions:

·         Invit did some work on the client for redlining. There is still need for extend the server API to render this for printing. I suppose it’s not in the plans for this fall. Is it much work to do? And who can do it?

Some work on redlining is planned, need to check about printing.

·         Would it be possible to use the one request for each layer approach without having to rebuild the whole client?

One could implement it as a configurable setting, say a switch in config.json, so that you can toggle it without needing to rebuild the application bundle.