Start of our activities

Till Adams-3
Dear OSGeo-EU members,

I recently had the job to write a short message about formation of the
Local Chapter OSGeo-EU (in german). While writing I of course had some
glances on our WIKI pages and was also faced with our goals and missions
[1].

Now being approved by the board, I think we should at least start to
think about our first activities, because just having the envelope is
not listed on [1] ;-)

Maybe a good point to start might be ...

... form a voted board (okay, we voted on the board, but not on posts,
but we listed Dirk as our president, Marc as our treasurer and ?? as
secretary). Maybe we think about a vice-president and so on.

... think about at least having a homepage as point of contact for
finding us and being more representative than just a WIKI page

... introduce us to various European Organisations such as (list is
mostly c&p from [1]):

notably OSM
JRC
European projects
FIWARE
EUROGI
SMESpire
ESA
[...]

If, of course we have to add other organisations you might have in mind
to the list, then have s.th. that introduces us better than an
unformatted WIKI page (e.g. Introduction letter, regular homepage (s.a.)
?). Also we could offer to meet people from these organisations by
opportunity - if we find volunteers among us to do that (writing this, I
throw my hat in the ring)

As said, all these are just my first quick ideas. I formed a doodle in
order to schedule a meeting on IRC:

https://doodle.com/poll/2ear9qdzphwf6f9k

Feel free to add dates/times by sending them to me (can't find the handy
admin-link in doodle any more...)

Till

[1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Europe#Mission_and_objectives

Re: Start of our activities

María Arias de Reyna-2
Hi,

I am a bit busy with the foss4g proposal, but you are right, we should
start moving.

Is there some specific reason to propose times inside the normal
office time? Shouldn't it be outside the working time? Or not... I
don't know if this is part of your job :)

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 2:32 PM, Till Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear OSGeo-EU members,
>
> I recently had the job to write a short message about formation of the
> Local Chapter OSGeo-EU (in german). While writing I of course had some
> glances on our WIKI pages and was also faced with our goals and missions
> [1].
>
> Now being approved by the board, I think we should at least start to
> think about our first activities, because just having the envelope is
> not listed on [1] ;-)
>
> Maybe a good point to start might be ...
>
> ... form a voted board (okay, we voted on the board, but not on posts,
> but we listed Dirk as our president, Marc as our treasurer and ?? as
> secretary). Maybe we think about a vice-president and so on.
>
> ... think about at least having a homepage as point of contact for
> finding us and being more representative than just a WIKI page
>
> ... introduce us to various European Organisations such as (list is
> mostly c&p from [1]):
>
> notably OSM
> JRC
> European projects
> FIWARE
> EUROGI
> SMESpire
> ESA
> [...]
>
> If, of course we have to add other organisations you might have in mind
> to the list, then have s.th. that introduces us better than an
> unformatted WIKI page (e.g. Introduction letter, regular homepage (s.a.)
> ?). Also we could offer to meet people from these organisations by
> opportunity - if we find volunteers among us to do that (writing this, I
> throw my hat in the ring)
>
> As said, all these are just my first quick ideas. I formed a doodle in
> order to schedule a meeting on IRC:
>
> https://doodle.com/poll/2ear9qdzphwf6f9k
>
> Feel free to add dates/times by sending them to me (can't find the handy
> admin-link in doodle any more...)
>
> Till
>

> [1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Europe#Mission_and_objectives

Re: Start of our activities

Till Adams-3
Maria,

as said, if you prefer evening times, I can add them to the Doodle.

Because I am shareholder, I can add this to my job profile easly ;-)

Till

Am 13.09.2017 um 14:40 schrieb María Arias de Reyna:

> Hi,
>
> I am a bit busy with the foss4g proposal, but you are right, we should
> start moving.
>
> Is there some specific reason to propose times inside the normal
> office time? Shouldn't it be outside the working time? Or not... I
> don't know if this is part of your job :)
>
> On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 2:32 PM, Till Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dear OSGeo-EU members,
>>
>> I recently had the job to write a short message about formation of the
>> Local Chapter OSGeo-EU (in german). While writing I of course had some
>> glances on our WIKI pages and was also faced with our goals and missions
>> [1].
>>
>> Now being approved by the board, I think we should at least start to
>> think about our first activities, because just having the envelope is
>> not listed on [1] ;-)
>>
>> Maybe a good point to start might be ...
>>
>> ... form a voted board (okay, we voted on the board, but not on posts,
>> but we listed Dirk as our president, Marc as our treasurer and ?? as
>> secretary). Maybe we think about a vice-president and so on.
>>
>> ... think about at least having a homepage as point of contact for
>> finding us and being more representative than just a WIKI page
>>
>> ... introduce us to various European Organisations such as (list is
>> mostly c&p from [1]):
>>
>> notably OSM
>> JRC
>> European projects
>> FIWARE
>> EUROGI
>> SMESpire
>> ESA
>> [...]
>>
>> If, of course we have to add other organisations you might have in mind
>> to the list, then have s.th. that introduces us better than an
>> unformatted WIKI page (e.g. Introduction letter, regular homepage (s.a.)
>> ?). Also we could offer to meet people from these organisations by
>> opportunity - if we find volunteers among us to do that (writing this, I
>> throw my hat in the ring)
>>
>> As said, all these are just my first quick ideas. I formed a doodle in
>> order to schedule a meeting on IRC:
>>
>> https://doodle.com/poll/2ear9qdzphwf6f9k
>>
>> Feel free to add dates/times by sending them to me (can't find the handy
>> admin-link in doodle any more...)
>>
>> Till
>>

>> [1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Europe#Mission_and_objectives

Re: Start of our activities

jmckenna
Administrator
Dear Till and fellow members,

A slight reminder that this is the "OSGeo-Europe" local chapter, as it
is more inclusive than just "EU"; sorry for being picky but we need to
be sure to use the correct terminology, at this early stage, before we
start spreading this news.

For the IRC meeting, I have registered the channel "osgeo-europe", so we
can use this from now on for meetings etc.  I'll add you and others as
admins of the channel.  I have made a note of this in the
"Communication" section of the Europe chapter wiki page.  (you can
connect directly in your browser to this channel through
https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=osgeo-europe)

Back to the "OSGeo-Europe" chapter name, I have filed a ticket to change
the name of this mailing list from "EU" to "Europe", which cannot be
done using the html admin interface but must be done on the server
(https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/1617), and also for changing the
Nabble forum name from "European Union Chapter" to "European Chapter"

Sorry for being picky but it's best to do all of this at the beginning
stage now, before we get too deep in this :)

(I've also entered my dates on the doodle)

Thanks!

-jeff

On 2017-09-13 9:32 AM, Till Adams wrote:

> Dear OSGeo-EU members,
>
> I recently had the job to write a short message about formation of the
> Local Chapter OSGeo-EU (in german). While writing I of course had some
> glances on our WIKI pages and was also faced with our goals and missions
> [1].
>
> Now being approved by the board, I think we should at least start to
> think about our first activities, because just having the envelope is
> not listed on [1] ;-)
>
> Maybe a good point to start might be ...
>
> ... form a voted board (okay, we voted on the board, but not on posts,
> but we listed Dirk as our president, Marc as our treasurer and ?? as
> secretary). Maybe we think about a vice-president and so on.
>
> ... think about at least having a homepage as point of contact for
> finding us and being more representative than just a WIKI page
>
> ... introduce us to various European Organisations such as (list is
> mostly c&p from [1]):
>
> notably OSM
> JRC
> European projects
> FIWARE
> EUROGI
> SMESpire
> ESA
> [...]
>
> If, of course we have to add other organisations you might have in mind
> to the list, then have s.th. that introduces us better than an
> unformatted WIKI page (e.g. Introduction letter, regular homepage (s.a.)
> ?). Also we could offer to meet people from these organisations by
> opportunity - if we find volunteers among us to do that (writing this, I
> throw my hat in the ring)
>
> As said, all these are just my first quick ideas. I formed a doodle in
> order to schedule a meeting on IRC:
>
> https://doodle.com/poll/2ear9qdzphwf6f9k
>
> Feel free to add dates/times by sending them to me (can't find the handy
> admin-link in doodle any more...)
>
> Till
>

> [1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Europe#Mission_and_objectives
>
> _

Re: Start of our activities

Marc Vloemans-3
Dear all,

We need to formally establish it with (as discussed earlier) a country/city 'seat'.
As agreed I will pre-finance the legal costs for establishing it. Reimbursement once there is some money in the coffers.

Jeffs comment is super valid. Although we abbreviate it perhaps as EU, it is more than just the European Union. So need to check that we spell it like 'Europe' in all official docs. Who will do this?
Also thx for getting infra for the chapter!

Regarding the times for our call...I don't distinguish that much between work and play. I made my hobby into my work. Hope y'all do !

We will obviously bump into many other unforeseen things. In good English: 'tant pis'.... start-ups don't get started without a healthy dose of serendipity and blindness ;-)
Looking forward to the ride!

Kind regards,
Marc Vloemans

> [...]
>> JRC
>> European projects
>> FIWARE
>> EUROGI
>> SMESpire
>> ESA
>> [...]
>> If, of course we have to add other organisations you might have in mind
>> to the list, then have s.th. that introduces us better than an
>> unformatted WIKI page (e.g. Introduction letter, regular homepage (s.a.)
>> ?). Also we could offer to meet people from these organisations by
>> opportunity - if we find volunteers among us to do that (writing this, I
>> throw my hat in the ring)
>> As said, all these are just my first quick ideas. I formed a doodle in
>> order to schedule a meeting on IRC:
>> https://doodle.com/poll/2ear9qdzphwf6f9k
>> Feel free to add dates/times by sending them to me (can't find the handy

Re: Start of our activities

Dirk Frigne-2
Dear all,

Actually, I am now in a meeting with OSGeo.be to prepare FOSS4G2017!.
The meeting takes place in a very good location: BE Central Cantersteen
12, 1000 Bruxelles

Easy to reach as it is in the offices of the Belgium Railway station.
I think we can have here the base address and even possibilities for
face2face meetings.

I will inform to the possibilities... (now I have to continue our
meeting ...)

Dirk

On 13-09-17 17:19, Marc Vloemans wrote:

> [...]
>>> I recently had the job to write a short message about formation of the
>>> Local Chapter OSGeo-EU (in german). While writing I of course had some
>>> glances on our WIKI pages and was also faced with our goals and missions
>>> [1].
>>> Now being approved by the board, I think we should at least start to
>>> think about our first activities, because just having the envelope is
>>> not listed on [1] ;-)
>>> Maybe a good point to start might be ...
>>> ... form a voted board (okay, we voted on the board, but not on posts,
>>> but we listed Dirk as our president, Marc as our treasurer and ?? as
>>> secretary). Maybe we think about a vice-president and so on.
>>> ... think about at least having a homepage as point of contact for
>>> finding us and being more representative than just a WIKI page
>>> ... introduce us to various European Organisations such as (list is
>>> EUROGI
>>> SMESpire
>>> ESA
>>> [...]
>>> If, of course we have to add other organisations you might have in mind
>>> to the list, then have s.th. that introduces us better than an
>>> unformatted WIKI page (e.g. Introduction letter, regular homepage (s.a.)
>>> ?). Also we could offer to meet people from these organisations by
>>> opportunity - if we find volunteers among us to do that (writing this, I
>>> throw my hat in the ring)
>>> As said, all these are just my first quick ideas. I formed a doodle in
>>> order to schedule a meeting on IRC:
>>> https://doodle.com/poll/2ear9qdzphwf6f9k
>>> Feel free to add dates/times by sending them to me (can't find the handy
>>> admin-link in doodle any more...)
>>> Till
>>> [1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Europe#Mission_and_objectives
>>> _