Split large strings

Carlos Dávila-2
Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on https://www.transifex.com/qgis/

Hello all
There are some strings to translate which are really large, for example
string 19491 from transifex (Vector Layer Properties context help),
which contains 1538 words. IMHO this causes a lot of trouble for
translators: a change in a single character marks strings as
untranslated, so that you have to dig into all the text looking for a
minor change. Such large strings don't fit in translation screen,
neither in transifex nor in Linguist, so you have to scroll up and down
the screen looking for source text and translation.
Would it be possible to split such large strings in smaller parts?

Re: Split large strings

DelazJ
Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on https://www.transifex.com/qgis/

Hi Carlos,

It's weird that these texts are still present in Transifex: they've been removed from source code months ago (https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/4853/files#diff-0253393024141867874ef0009c443ecb). In QGIS3, we no longer use the context help to document features and instead rely on the official doc.
Werner, Jef, Richard, do we need to do some particular thing to have those strings removed from Transifex; we should avoid bothering translators with these really painful and useless texts.

Regards,
Harrissou

Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on https://www.transifex.com/qgis/

Hello all
There are some strings to translate which are really large, for example string 19491 from transifex (Vector Layer Properties context help), which contains 1538 words. IMHO this causes a lot of trouble for translators: a change in a single character marks strings as untranslated, so that you have to dig into all the text looking for a minor change. Such large strings don't fit in translation screen, neither in transifex nor in Linguist, so you have to scroll up and down the screen looking for source text and translation.
Would it be possible to split such large strings in smaller parts?

Re: Split large strings

macho
Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on https://www.transifex.com/qgis/

Hi!

Have to test but IIRC "old" translations are still available in a *.ts file ..
So maybe we should update the *.ts file next time with a switch (to be found) with "delete deprecated translations"

I remember I once did such a thing ..

Will do some investigation tomorrow

regards
Werner

On Sun, Oct 8, 2017 at 10:57 PM, DelazJ <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Richard Duivenvoorde

On 08-10-17 23:00, Werner Macho wrote:

> Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on https://www.transifex.com/qgis/
>

> Hi!
>
> Have to test but IIRC "old" translations are still available in a *.ts
> file ..
> So maybe we should update the *.ts file next time with a switch (to be
> found) with "delete deprecated translations"
>
> I remember I once did such a thing ..

Hi Werner,

lupdate has an option -no-obsolete :

$ lupdate
Usage:
    lupdate [options] [project-file]...
    lupdate [options] [source-file|path|@lst-file]... -ts ts-files|@lst-file

lupdate is part of Qt's Linguist tool chain. It extracts translatable
messages from Qt UI files, C++, Java and JavaScript/QtScript source code.
Extracted messages are stored in textual translation source files (typically
Qt TS XML). New and modified messages can be merged into existing TS files.

    -help  Display this information and exit.
    -no-obsolete
           Drop all obsolete and vanished strings.

I think the drawback of doing this always is that you loose some
'memory' when only the 'key' has been changed (instead of being
removed). But not 100% sure here..

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

Re: Split large strings

macho
Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on https://www.transifex.com/qgis/

Hi Richard!
Thats exactly what I meant.
"loosing the memory" is correct - at least local ..
I never tested this with uploading to transifex - maybe the memory there is more "long lasting" ;)
But we'll never know without trying .

regards
Werner

El 08/10/17 a las 22:57, DelazJ escribió:

> It's weird that these texts are still present in Transifex: they've
> been removed from source code months ago

That explains why I couldn't find it in source code yesterday, looking
for a way to fix this issue.

Re: Split large strings

skampus
Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on https://www.transifex.com/qgis/

in transifex these maga-strings are still present.

so we don't have to translate them, right?

s.

------------------------------

Message: 6
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2017 12:18:52 +0200
From: Carlos Dávila <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Qgis-tr] Split large strings

El 08/10/17 a las 22:57, DelazJ escribió:

> It's weird that these texts are still present in Transifex: they've
> been removed from source code months ago

That explains why I couldn't find it in source code yesterday, looking
for a way to fix this issue.

Re: Split large strings

DelazJ
Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on https://www.transifex.com/qgis/

Hi,
Yes, do not translate them in Transifex. It's useless.

But In your case and due to your other thread, note that these strings (with some typo)are still present in QGIS 2.18 Desktop and may need to be translated...

Regards,
Harrissou