Spatial data viewer to run off a CD?

Frank Sokolic
Does anyone know of a spatial data viewer that can be freely distributed
on CD along with spatial datasets (currently in shapefile format but can
be converted into other formats). I would like to use autorun to start
the viewer when the CD is inserted and then automatically load the
datasets. I've looked at a few free shapefile viewers but they all need
to be installed and won't run directly from the CD. I would rather have
something that runs automatically without the end user having to install
anything. Anybody have any ideas?

Frank Sokolic.

RE: Spatial data viewer to run off a CD?

Gavin Fleming
I haven't done this myself, but I believe you can use OpenLayers
(http://openlayers.org/) by simply writing an html page that uses this
javascript file (http://www.openlayers.org/api/OpenLayers.js). The
result would be that a browser would open up when the CD is inserted,
with your page with OpenLayers running inside it, which you would
preconfigure to load the data on your CD.

Gavin

Re: Spatial data viewer to run off a CD?

Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS)-2
Yeah, but you would still need a Mapserver (and a localhost webserver)
to render the images from the shapefiles (or pre-generate tiles from the
shapefiles and put them on the CD which could become a storage problem).
OpenLayers can't load shapefiles directly ofcourse.

I would recommend Quantum GIS for this purpose, but probably things like
uDIG or MapWindow GIS can do this as well.

Best regards,
Bart

Gavin Fleming schreef:

> I haven't done this myself, but I believe you can use OpenLayers
> (http://openlayers.org/) by simply writing an html page that uses this
> javascript file (http://www.openlayers.org/api/OpenLayers.js). The
> result would be that a browser would open up when the CD is inserted,
> with your page with OpenLayers running inside it, which you would
> preconfigure to load the data on your CD.
>
> Gavin

Bart van den Eijnden
OSGIS, Open Source GIS
[hidden email]
http://www.osgis.nl

RE: Spatial data viewer to run off a CD?

Gavin Fleming
OK, but other than setting up a LiveCD, what viewers can load and render
shapefiles without any install?

QGIS, uDIG and Mapwindow all need to be installed first.

Perhaps a java applet in a browser, but then you're assuming that the
user has Java already.

Gavin

Gavin Fleming schreef:

> I haven't done this myself, but I believe you can use OpenLayers
> (http://openlayers.org/) by simply writing an html page that uses this
> javascript file (http://www.openlayers.org/api/OpenLayers.js). The
> result would be that a browser would open up when the CD is inserted,
> with your page with OpenLayers running inside it, which you would
> preconfigure to load the data on your CD.
>
> Gavin

Bart van den Eijnden
OSGIS, Open Source GIS
[hidden email]
http://www.osgis.nl

RE: Spatial data viewer to run off a CD?

Dean Mikkelsen
Hi everyone,

Jo Walsh had a presentation (@FOSS4G2007 here in Victoria) about something
similar to what is being asked for on a CD.

Here is the link:
http://www.foss4g2007.org/presentations/view.php?abstract_id=81

Cheers,
Dean

Dean C. Mikkelsen, B.Sc., P.Eng.
Terra ETL Ltd.
Victoria, BC, Canada
http://wwww.terraetl.com

Sent: 18 October 2007 01:31 PM
To: Gavin Fleming
Cc: [hidden email]

Gavin Fleming schreef:

> I haven't done this myself, but I believe you can use OpenLayers
> (http://openlayers.org/) by simply writing an html page that uses this
> javascript file (http://www.openlayers.org/api/OpenLayers.js). The
> result would be that a browser would open up when the CD is inserted,
> with your page with OpenLayers running inside it, which you would
> preconfigure to load the data on your CD.
>
> Gavin

Bart van den Eijnden
OSGIS, Open Source GIS
[hidden email]
http://www.osgis.nl

Re: Spatial data viewer to run off a CD?

Venkatesh Raghavan
Dean C. Mikkelsen wrote:
> Jo Walsh had a presentation (@FOSS4G2007 here in Victoria) about something
> similar to what is being asked for on a CD.

Jo Cook it was.

Venka

> Here is the link:
> http://www.foss4g2007.org/presentations/view.php?abstract_id=81
>
> Cheers,
> Dean
>
> Dean C. Mikkelsen, B.Sc., P.Eng.
> Terra ETL Ltd.
> Victoria, BC, Canada
> http://wwww.terraetl.com

Hi Venka,

My apologies.....where did I get the name Jo Walsh from?

Cheers,
Dean

> something similar to what is being asked for on a CD.

Jo Cook it was.

Venka

> Here is the link:
> http://www.foss4g2007.org/presentations/view.php?abstract_id=81
>
> Cheers,
> Dean
>
> Dean C. Mikkelsen, B.Sc., P.Eng.
> Terra ETL Ltd.
> Victoria, BC, Canada
> http://wwww.terraetl.com

Those programs have installers, but can be run without using the
installers. For uDIG I know this for sure, since we have it on a network
disk at work and just run it from there. But ofcourse the embedded JRE
is platform dependent.

Best regards,
Bart

Gavin Fleming schreef:

> OK, but other than setting up a LiveCD, what viewers can load and render
> shapefiles without any install?
>
> QGIS, uDIG and Mapwindow all need to be installed first.
>
> Perhaps a java applet in a browser, but then you're assuming that the
> user has Java already.
>
> Gavin

Bart van den Eijnden
OSGIS, Open Source GIS
[hidden email]
http://www.osgis.nl

Re: Spatial data viewer to run off a CD?

Frank Sokolic
Thanks Bart, I''ll give these a try. Out of interest, I did a search through my Windows registry and found that uDig, QGIS and MapWindow all have keys stored there. I guess these were created during the installation. I'm not sure how important they are but I'll find out by making a CD with an autorun.inf file and checking whether I can run uDig, MapWindow or QGIS off the CD.

When I started on this project I thought it would take half an hour at most :-)

Frank.

Gavin Fleming schreef:

> OK, but other than setting up a LiveCD, what viewers can load and render
> shapefiles without any install?
>
> QGIS, uDIG and Mapwindow all need to be installed first.
>
> Perhaps a java applet in a browser, but then you're assuming that the
> user has Java already.
>
> Gavin

Bart van den Eijnden
OSGIS, Open Source GIS