Sort of MapServer related . . Stacked, or coincident points . . .

Sort of MapServer related . . Stacked, or coincident points . . .

blammo
All,

I need a way to handle a stacked point data set.  I'm working with a
Address dataset that has some points that are stacked in the same spot.
A few of them have hundreds of points in the same location, IE Apt.
Buildings, etc.

Has anyone worked with a similar dataset before from MapServer?

We have some ideas about how to display the data.  Nothing concrete
yet.  The current system relies on ImageMaps for the display of the
point data via a MapServer Template.  This works for the first (last
ImageMap record) in the imagemap, but how to view the other point
records from the same point.   We're in the mode right now to build some
Javascript handlers for a XML stream from MapServer, but this seems like
overkill for some reason.

The dataset is such that I can't seperate the different points very
easily, nor should they I think.

Any ideas out there?

bobb

United States City\Town\Village Shape Files???

Adam W-2
I've been looking everywhere and can't find shape files for all the towns in
the United States.  I have found incorporated cities and county subdivisions
but that's not quite town\city\village boundaries.

Does this dataset exist for free?

> I need a way to handle a stacked point data set.  I'm working with a
> Address dataset that has some points that are stacked in the same spot.
> A few of them have hundreds of points in the same location, IE Apt.
> Buildings, etc.
>
> Has anyone worked with a similar dataset before from MapServer?
>
> We have some ideas about how to display the data.  Nothing concrete
> yet.  The current system relies on ImageMaps for the display of the
> point data via a MapServer Template.  This works for the first (last
> ImageMap record) in the imagemap, but how to view the other point
> records from the same point.   We're in the mode right now to build some
> Javascript handlers for a XML stream from MapServer, but this seems like
> overkill for some reason.
>
> The dataset is such that I can't seperate the different points very
> easily, nor should they I think.
>
> Any ideas out there?
>
> bobb

Re: United States City\Town\Village Shape Files???

a.doyle
On 12/28/05, Adam <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've been looking everywhere and can't find shape files for all the towns in
> the United States.  I have found incorporated cities and county subdivisions
> but that's not quite town\city\village boundaries.
>
> Does this dataset exist for free?

You may have to get it on a state by state basis. I'm not sure if
there is a comprehensive list of state GIS agencies anywhere, but put
this into Google and you'll get quite a few - "state gis offices"

http://www.google.com/search?q=state+gis+offices

  Allan

Prashanth Ram
Adam:
  Some where on the tiger census bureau website (http://www.census.gov/geo/www/tiger/index.html)  you might find what you are looking for.

-Prashanth

--
HTMLX.com
Mapserver Hosting, Mapscript Hosting, PHP Hosting

On 12/28/05, Adam <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've been looking everywhere and can't find shape files for all the towns in
the United States.  I have found incorporated cities and county subdivisions
but that's not quite town\city\village boundaries.

Does this dataset exist for free?

> I need a way to handle a stacked point data set.  I'm working with a
> Address dataset that has some points that are stacked in the same spot.
> A few of them have hundreds of points in the same location, IE Apt.
> Buildings, etc.
>
> Has anyone worked with a similar dataset before from MapServer?
>
> We have some ideas about how to display the data.  Nothing concrete
> yet.  The current system relies on ImageMaps for the display of the
> point data via a MapServer Template.  This works for the first (last
> ImageMap record) in the imagemap, but how to view the other point
> records from the same point.   We're in the mode right now to build some
> Javascript handlers for a XML stream from MapServer, but this seems like
> overkill for some reason.
>
> The dataset is such that I can't seperate the different points very
> easily, nor should they I think.
>
> Any ideas out there?
>
> bobb

Re: United States City\Town\Village Shape Files???

Dylan Keon-3
On 12/28/05, Adam <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've been looking everywhere and can't find shape files for all the towns in
> the United States.  I have found incorporated cities and county subdivisions
> but that's not quite town\city\village boundaries.
>
> Does this dataset exist for free?

Adam,

There is a nationwide "Cities and Towns" shapefile at geocomm.com.
It's point data (i.e., no boundaries), and I don't know if it includes
*all* the towns in the U.S. (it contains about 29,000 points).
http://data.geocomm.com/catalog/US/group21.html .  For more detailed
data you'll probably have to follow Allan's suggestion and search
state by state.

Dylan

Re: Sort of MapServer related . . Stacked, or coincident points . . .

Dylan Keon-3
On 12/28/05, Bob Basques <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All,
>
> I need a way to handle a stacked point data set.  I'm working with a
> Address dataset that has some points that are stacked in the same spot.
> A few of them have hundreds of points in the same location, IE Apt.
> Buildings, etc.
>
> Has anyone worked with a similar dataset before from MapServer?
>
> We have some ideas about how to display the data.  Nothing concrete
> yet.  The current system relies on ImageMaps for the display of the
> point data via a MapServer Template.  This works for the first (last
> ImageMap record) in the imagemap, but how to view the other point
> records from the same point.   We're in the mode right now to build some
> Javascript handlers for a XML stream from MapServer, but this seems like
> overkill for some reason.
>
> The dataset is such that I can't seperate the different points very
> easily, nor should they I think.
>
> Any ideas out there?
>
> bobb

Hi Bob,

I once had a similar problem where I wanted to display an individual
point for each specimen collected from various research sites, where
each site was recorded as a single lat/lon.  Since so many specimens
shared the same coordinates, the points were often stacked.  The
options I considered were:

1) jitter the points by introducing a small amount of random error
into the coordinates (only works well when zoomed in pretty far).

2) plot a single point for each research site, with data for multiple
specimens contained in the attributes for that point.

3) render a single point of one color where multiple specimens were
collected at a site, and another color where a single specimen was
collected.

In my case option 2 worked out pretty well.  However, your data are
quite different and I wasn't doing imagemaps.  Also, my data were
selected and rendered dynamically based upon the user's query.  You
mentioned you can't separate the points easily - is your address
dataset stored in a database, or is it more static (shapefile)?
Anyway, maybe this will give you some ideas.  HTH.

Dylan

Compiling MapServer with PostGIS Support - Error

Adam W-2
I'm compiling MapServer with PostGIS support.  PostGIS is installed and I
can load shapefiles and query them fine.

Now I'm trying to recomplie MapServer with PostGIS support and I'm getting
this error after compiliation:
[root@localhost mapserver-4.6.2]# ./mapserv -v
./mapserv: error while loading shared libraries: libpq.so.4: cannot open
[root@localhost mapserver-4.6.2]#

libpq.so.4 is located in two places:
/usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.so.4
/usr/local/src/pgsql/postgresql-8.1.1/src/interfaces/libpq/libpq.so.4

And for the ./configure line where I specify the PostgreSQL install I use:
--with-postgis=/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_config

pg_config is indeed in this directory.

I also ran "ldconfig".

Any ideas as to why I'm getting this error?

Re: Compiling MapServer with PostGIS Support - Error

Paul Ramsey-2
Adam,

Edit /etc/ld.so.conf
Add /usr/local/pgsql/lib
Run ldconfig
Rejoice

Dylan Keon wrote:

>1) jitter the points by introducing a small amount of random error
>into the coordinates (only works well when zoomed in pretty far).
>
>2) plot a single point for each research site, with data for multiple
>specimens contained in the attributes for that point.
>
>3) render a single point of one color where multiple specimens were
>collected at a site, and another color where a single specimen was
>collected.
>
>In my case option 2 worked out pretty well.  However, your data are
>quite different and I wasn't doing imagemaps.  Also, my data were
>selected and rendered dynamically based upon the user's query.  You
>mentioned you can't separate the points easily - is your address
>dataset stored in a database,

It's not so much that I can't seperate them, as it is the need to keep
them together for business reasons.

There is at least a "primary" (tax Owner) address in every case, along
with possible secondary addresses in the cases of Duplexes and Apt.
Buildings, etc.  All Addresses need to be viewable, even if I seperate
out the Primary, there would still be instances of secondary stacked
points.  I'm still researching this at this point to gather options.

The data is all in a Oracle DB

bobb

> or is it more static (shapefile)?=20
>Anyway, maybe this will give you some ideas.  HTH.
>
>Dylan

Re: United States City\Town\Village Shape Files???

Gary Watry
Hi
If you did not find a solution yet

Check the national Atlas
http://www.nationalatlas.gov/atlasftp.html

Download the following Shapefile layer from "Map Reference"

        Urban Areas

This will give you a polygon layer of the areas of all the towns, villages,
cities in the U.S. The only thing that is missing is the unincoorporated
townships
Gary L. Watry

GIS Coordinator
Center for Ocean-Atmospheric Prediction Studies
FSU / COAPS
Johnson Building, RM 215
2035 East Paul Dirac Drive
Tallahassee, Florida 32306-2840

E-Mail: [hidden email]

> I need a way to handle a stacked point data set.  I'm working with a
> Address dataset that has some points that are stacked in the same spot.
> A few of them have hundreds of points in the same location, IE Apt.
> Buildings, etc.
>
> Has anyone worked with a similar dataset before from MapServer?
>
> We have some ideas about how to display the data.  Nothing concrete
> yet.  The current system relies on ImageMaps for the display of the
> point data via a MapServer Template.  This works for the first (last
> ImageMap record) in the imagemap, but how to view the other point
> records from the same point.   We're in the mode right now to build some
> Javascript handlers for a XML stream from MapServer, but this seems like
> overkill for some reason.
>
> The dataset is such that I can't seperate the different points very
> easily, nor should they I think.
>
> Any ideas out there?
>
> bobb

Re: United States City\Town\Village Shape Files???

Raj Singh-4
Re: United States City\Town\Village Shape Files??? Adam did you ever find “town\city\village boundaries”? I’ve been going crazy searching for the same thing.

Gary I tried that National Atlas data set but it isn’t what I expected. For example, here in Massachusetts every town/city is incorporated, so there should be no holes, but there are plenty. Is there some population cutoff to this data set? Also another problem—it groups multiple cities into one shape. For example, Boston, Cambridge, Somerville, etc. all get grouped in a “Boston Metro” polygon.

--Raj