Sol Katz / MOSS sources -> new kind of "heritage project" ?

Sol Katz / MOSS sources -> new kind of "heritage project" ?

Peter Löwe
Hi board,

a few weeks back I noticed that the sources of MOSS ("oldest open source GIS") were taken offline by BLM.
Others have noticed this earlier as the fact is mentioned on the Sol Katz award wikipage (https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Sol_Katz_Award).

In the meantime I contacted the library staff of BLM - they did not keep a digital copy of the MOSS sources.

If the source code of MOSS should be recovered, I would like to propose to make MOSS a OSGeo "heritage" project or something similar, and to preserve the sources in an OSGeo-controlled software repo. At the very least, we could make sure to deposit the code in the Zenodo archive.

In the meantime, I went ahead and created a wiki page with links to still existing MOSS-related documentation:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/MOSS

best,
Peter

PS: If anyone of y'all should have a local copy of the MOSS repo, please speak up :-)

<[hidden email]>

Sol Katz / MOSS sources -> Carl Reed

Peter Löwe
Hi Board,

FWIW: Regarding MOSS I contacted the original programmer, Carl Reed (https://www.linkedin.com/in/carlreediii/). He still cares about MOSS (https://sites.google.com/site/reedsgishistory/Home/short-history-of-the-moss-gis) and is also investigating where to find a copy. If at a FOSS4G event a speaker is needed to tell the MOSS story, he would be the right guy.

best,
peter

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 28. März 2019 um 14:57 Uhr
Von: "Brian M Hamlin" <[hidden email]>
An: "Peter Löwe" <[hidden email]>
Betreff: Re: [Board] Sol Katz / MOSS sources -> new kind of "heritage project" ?

Hi Peter - thanks for your good attention here..

In the coming years, the GMT project may also be a candidate for this

  best regards from Berkeley, --Brian

On Thu, 28 Mar 2019 14:46:55 +0100, "Peter Löwe" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Brian M Hamlin
OSGeo California
blog.light42.com

Re: Sol Katz / MOSS sources -> new kind of "heritage project" ?

Cameron Shorter

Peter, have you tried looking for the source in the Internet Archive: https://archive.org/

On 29/3/19 1:21 am, Jody Garnett wrote:
[...]

Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: Sol Katz / MOSS sources -> new kind of "heritage project" ?

Peter Löwe
Cameron, board,

the wayback machine lists one snapshot dating from 2011, but it doesn't provide any content or subdirectories:

best,
peter

Re: Sol Katz / MOSS sources -> new kind of "heritage project" ?

Vincent Picavet (ml)
Hello,

On 28/03/2019 14:46, "Peter Löwe" wrote:

> a few weeks back I noticed that the sources of MOSS ("oldest open
> source GIS") were taken offline by BLM. Others have noticed this
> earlier as the fact is mentioned on the Sol Katz award wikipage
> (https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Sol_Katz_Award).
>
> In the meantime I contacted the library staff of BLM - they did not
> keep a digital copy of the MOSS sources.
>
> If the source code of MOSS should be recovered, I would like to
> propose to make MOSS a OSGeo "heritage" project or something similar,
> and to preserve the sources in an OSGeo-controlled software repo. At
> the very least, we could make sure to deposit the code in the Zenodo
> archive.

Maybe this would be a good candidate to add to the software heritage
project ?

https://www.softwareheritage.org/

If someone has a source file, you can check directly on the website if
it is already there.

Best regards,

Vincent