Small, black & white OSGeo badge for project websites

Small, black & white OSGeo badge for project websites

Andreas Hocevar
Hey,

recently, the OpenLayers project was asked to add an OSGeo badge to
the website [1]. Becaue the website is strongly user focused, we
consider the existing badge versions too big and colorful. So what the
OpenLayers project is asking for is a small and black & white badge. I
think this will also benefit other projects.

Thanks!

Andreas.

[1] https://github.com/openlayers/ol3/issues/4760

Re: Small, black & white OSGeo badge for project websites

jody.garnett
related: we have an open email thread on sponsorship badges (bronze, silver, gold).

I do like the user-focused open layers site (http://openlayers.org) - a small logo would be appropriate in the footer (where the minimal project details are provided).

Would it be possible to use the small logo there, and keep the normal OSGeo project logo on the project github README which is more developer/project focused.

--
Jody Garnett

On 11 February 2016 at 09:55, Andreas Hocevar <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey,

recently, the OpenLayers project was asked to add an OSGeo badge to
the website [1]. Becaue the website is strongly user focused, we
consider the existing badge versions too big and colorful. So what the
OpenLayers project is asking for is a small and black & white badge. I
think this will also benefit other projects.

Thanks!

Andreas.

[1] https://github.com/openlayers/ol3/issues/4760

Re: Small, black & white OSGeo badge for project websites

jody.garnett
I see some discussion on twitter (thanks for kicking that off Andreas):

https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/marketing/logo/svg/ (need to be updated to gold, silver, bronze)
- shields style badges with compass (similar to https://www.w3.org/QA/Tools/Icons )

Things waiting on this:

1) meet the osgeo logo requirement for open layers
2) blog post for osgeo 2016 sponsorship program
3) OSGeo Incubation / "Technology" branding

I am sorry this is a real "bike shed" problem.

--
Jody Garnett

On 11 February 2016 at 10:54, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

For OpenLayers, we got a badge as an outcome from the Twitter
discussion. See
https://github.com/openlayers/ol3/blob/master/README.md.

Thanks to everyone involved.

Andreas.

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 11:37 PM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I see some discussion on twitter (thanks for kicking that off Andreas):
>
> - https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/marketing/logo/svg/ (need to be updated to
> gold, silver, bronze)
> - https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Seal_contest#Submission_2
> - shields style badges:
> https://img.shields.io/badge/OSGeo-Project-brightgreen.svg
> - shields style badges with compass (similar to
> https://www.w3.org/QA/Tools/Icons )
>
> Things waiting on this:
>
> 1) meet the osgeo logo requirement for open layers
> 2) blog post for osgeo 2016 sponsorship program
> 3) OSGeo Incubation / "Technology" branding
>
> I am sorry this is a real "bike shed" problem.
>

> --
> Jody Garnett
>
> On 11 February 2016 at 10:54, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> related: we have an open email thread on sponsorship badges (bronze,
>> silver, gold).
>>
>> I do like the user-focused open layers site (http://openlayers.org) - a
>> small logo would be appropriate in the footer (where the minimal project
>> details are provided).
>>
>> Would it be possible to use the small logo there, and keep the normal
>> OSGeo project logo on the project github README which is more
>> developer/project focused.
>>
>> --
>> Jody Garnett
>>
>> On 11 February 2016 at 09:55, Andreas Hocevar <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hey,
>>>
>>> recently, the OpenLayers project was asked to add an OSGeo badge to
>>> the website [1]. Becaue the website is strongly user focused, we
>>> consider the existing badge versions too big and colorful. So what the
>>> OpenLayers project is asking for is a small and black & white badge. I
>>> think this will also benefit other projects.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Andreas.
>>>

>>> [1] https://github.com/openlayers/ol3/issues/4760

Re: Small, black & white OSGeo badge for project websites

jody.garnett
cute, like how it blends in with the github experience.

I thought we were looking for a small b&w logo for the http://openlayers.org footer.
--
Jody Garnett

On 23 February 2016 at 15:35, Andreas Hocevar <[hidden email]> wrote:
For OpenLayers, we got a badge as an outcome from the Twitter
discussion. See
https://github.com/openlayers/ol3/blob/master/README.md.

Thanks to everyone involved.

Andreas.

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 11:37 PM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I see some discussion on twitter (thanks for kicking that off Andreas):
>
> - https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/marketing/logo/svg/ (need to be updated to
> gold, silver, bronze)
> - https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Seal_contest#Submission_2
> - shields style badges:
> https://img.shields.io/badge/OSGeo-Project-brightgreen.svg
> - shields style badges with compass (similar to
> https://www.w3.org/QA/Tools/Icons )
>
> Things waiting on this:
>
> 1) meet the osgeo logo requirement for open layers
> 2) blog post for osgeo 2016 sponsorship program
> 3) OSGeo Incubation / "Technology" branding
>
> I am sorry this is a real "bike shed" problem.
>

> --
> Jody Garnett
>
> On 11 February 2016 at 10:54, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> related: we have an open email thread on sponsorship badges (bronze,
>> silver, gold).
>>
>> I do like the user-focused open layers site (http://openlayers.org) - a
>> small logo would be appropriate in the footer (where the minimal project
>> details are provided).
>>
>> Would it be possible to use the small logo there, and keep the normal
>> OSGeo project logo on the project github README which is more
>> developer/project focused.
>>
>> --
>> Jody Garnett
>>
>> On 11 February 2016 at 09:55, Andreas Hocevar <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hey,
>>>
>>> recently, the OpenLayers project was asked to add an OSGeo badge to
>>> the website [1]. Becaue the website is strongly user focused, we
>>> consider the existing badge versions too big and colorful. So what the
>>> OpenLayers project is asking for is a small and black & white badge. I
>>> think this will also benefit other projects.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Andreas.
>>>

>>> [1] https://github.com/openlayers/ol3/issues/4760

Re: Small, black & white OSGeo badge for project websites

Andreas Hocevar
OpenLayers is happy now. If OSGeo wants more, then a small b&w logo
will be needed indeed.

Andreas.