Small Donation Levels

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo)
Hi everyone,
Can we discuss some of the funding levels for memberships?  I know we
have in the past, but think it would be good to revisit it and
finalise on this - correct me if we haven't.

In our income projection page:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Income_Projection
.. we reference Supporting Memberships at $40. I believe we had
thought this would come with some perk - i.e. a tshirt or hat.  This
is also discussed on a fundraising brainstorm page:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Fundraising#Other

I'm not sure $40 will be enough for international costs, considering
that some of the short run shirts costs more than half that cost,
including bulk shipping.  But we can probably get lower quality than
before or increase this level of membership.

Whereas an Associate Membership at a lower amount would be for status
and maybe a logo only (i.e. no perk).  I put it in at $15.  I don't
see a lot of discussion around this concept though.

Either way, I just wanted to get the discussion going.  Anyone been
thinking about this recently?  Would you like to see a donate now
button on the website?

We recently got all our PayPal account straightened out and can now
accept donations at: [hidden email].  I have put together a few
buttons for use on the website.  Please see the lower right corner of
the OSGeo test website for a demo:
http://test.osgeo.net/

Tyler

RE: Small Donation Levels

Michael P. Gerlek
I think we should definitely put buttons on the front page as soon as we
can (although maybe higher up / more visible than your test page).  We
can put it up now, and back-date any donations towards "memberships"
later, after we get them nailed down?

$40 is probably too low, if we're giving a T-shirt, etc.  I'd say maybe
~$100, and maybe also have iy include some sort of discount off the next
FOSS4G meeting?

-mpg

Re: Small Donation Levels

Frank Warmerdam
Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:

> In our income projection page:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Income_Projection
> .. we reference Supporting Memberships at $40. I believe we had thought
> this would come with some perk - i.e. a tshirt or hat.  This is also
> discussed on a fundraising brainstorm page:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Fundraising#Other
>
> I'm not sure $40 will be enough for international costs, considering
> that some of the short run shirts costs more than half that cost,
> including bulk shipping.  But we can probably get lower quality than
> before or increase this level of membership.

Tyler,

The plan at the time was that we would offer a T-shirt on the online
store price at $40 + the cost of the shirt as a "supporting membership".
That way the normal online store mechanisms take care of the money
collection and shipping of the shirt.

We did want to ensure we could get a list of folks who did this though,
so we could add them to an honour roll of supporting members.

> Whereas an Associate Membership at a lower amount would be for status
> and maybe a logo only (i.e. no perk).  I put it in at $15.  I don't see
> a lot of discussion around this concept though.

Note that there seemed to be a pretty clear consensus at the face to
face in SF that the normal membership should be free.  What do you
have in mind for "associate membership"?   I think the idea was that
there would be a "member" who essentially fills out an online form
with some contact info but is otherwise not charged anything. Then
there would be a supporting member, who via the t-shirt mechanism
pays $40 but otherwise gets no perks other than possible being listed
on an honour roll.

I'm not especially in favor of throwing in cheap conference attendance
as a perk since it just seems to complicate things but I don't feel
strongly either way on that issue.