Sign-up and subscription process request and offer of help

Sign-up and subscription process request and offer of help

scott.mchale

Hello,

We’re working on building up the OSGeo Alberta Chapter mailing list and I have heard a few folks mention that they aren’t really sure if they’re on the mailing list though they feel they’ve done what steps are apparent to them.  I’ll admit that the process has a very “black box” feel – I’m not particularly technical – to me, as well.

Can you tell me if there is a resource that I can use to better understand the process?  Is there a way you could add me as the admin for our '[hidden email]'  list so I can confirm for people whether I see them subscribed?

If there’s a part I could play in helping out – on the mailing lists or the membership sign-ups (I’ve heard similar suggestions around becoming a member) - I would be interested in understanding that as well.  It would be a great help for me in hand-holding folks into the enterprise.  I think that is something that would go a long way in the local community.

Please let me know your thoughts.

I looked to see if there was a more appropriate list – wow! There’s a lot of lists – and I don’t think I saw one but feel free to direct me elsewhere it that makes sense.

Thanks,

Scott.

Re: Sign-up and subscription process request and offer of help

Even Rouault-2

Scott,

> We're working on building up the OSGeo Alberta Chapter mailing list and I

> have heard a few folks mention that they aren't really sure if they're on

> the mailing list though they feel they've done what steps are apparent to

> them.

Normally when you subscribe to a mailing list, you should receive a confirmation email. If you don't, this might be due to your email service provider bouncing back emails from the mailing lists. I've had several reports from several people over past months trying to subscribe to different OSGeo managed mailing lists facing that issue. When they can reach their email service provider and he is cooperative, whitelisting the lists.osgeo.org domain generally solves the issue.

For particular issues, you can file a ticket to the attention of the OSGeo System administration committee: https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/newticket

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: Sign-up and subscription process request and offer of help

Jorge Sanz
On Fri, 8 May 2020 at 19:52, Even Rouault <[hidden email]> wrote:

Scott,

> We're working on building up the OSGeo Alberta Chapter mailing list and I

> have heard a few folks mention that they aren't really sure if they're on

> the mailing list though they feel they've done what steps are apparent to

> them.

Normally when you subscribe to a mailing list, you should receive a confirmation email. If you don't, this might be due to your email service provider bouncing back emails from the mailing lists. I've had several reports from several people over past months trying to subscribe to different OSGeo managed mailing lists facing that issue. When they can reach their email service provider and he is cooperative, whitelisting the lists.osgeo.org domain generally solves the issue.

For particular issues, you can file a ticket to the attention of the OSGeo System administration committee: https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/newticket

Even

Hi Scott,

I'm the main admin for the OSGeo mailing lists. The ideal situation would be for any of the current admins to create a ticket asking for adding your as admin of the list. This is only for transparency purposes since the administration password in mailman is not tied to any account in particular. Please remember to assign the ticket to the Mailing Lists component so I'm notified directly.

Happy to answer any other questions regarding this service.

Best regards