Showing funny characters.

mpozauko
Hey.

I'm stuck. When I import SHP file (character encoding in windows-1250) in Maestro with built-in providers (MGOS 2.4. beta1)
my special characters  č, Č don't show correctly.
They are shown as È. If i convert database to UTF-8 then even Š, Ž, š, ž are all messed up (ÄŒ, Ž, ...).

When I import postgis layer from database with UTF-8 encoding,
character-type Slovenian, Slovenia then Č, Š, Ž, č, š, ž appear correctly.

Little help please, really need a fresh idea how to overcome this issue.

Thanks!

Re: Showing funny characters.

Jackie Ng
Does your SHP file include a code page (.cpg) file ?

- Jackie

Re: Showing funny characters.

mpozauko
No it doesn't. When saving shape file with Qgis .cpg isn't created, but thanks for the heads up. I will try to include cpg file.

With SDF characters are also ok, problem is only with shape.

Re: Showing funny characters.

Jackie Ng
This is my beef with SHP files. It's not a single file! It is a set of many different files. Some bits openly spec'd and some bit completely undocumented which result in problems like the one you are having.

- Jackie

Re: Showing funny characters.

mpozauko
It works now. I just needed to add .cpg file which includes one line and four characters: 1250. :) And i spent a lot of time figuring what's wrong. Well at the end i did learn something new. :) Thanks Jackie!

And i feel your frustration, especially after this. :) On the other hand it is convenient, for example, that i'm able to change only attribute data in .dbf file or correct projection in .prj file and so on. But at the end it is nice to have only one file for one layer.