Should we sponsor adding support to GDAL for FileGDB?

Should we sponsor adding support to GDAL for FileGDB?

Tom Chadwin-2
Hello all

OSGeo:UK seeks to use the money you have kindly given for conference tickets and in donations as effectively as possible. A significant use of the money is sponsorship of open-source geo software.

The committee started to look for sponsorship opportunities, and the possibility of adding support to GDAL for GDB rasters was raised:

GDAL is the open-source spatial file format library which drives many of the spatial software packages (open-source and proprietary) that we use every day. GDB is an Esri file format.

The committee are considering pledging £500 towards this work. However, we want to find out whether this would be popular with you all. How much are GDB rasters used? Would this really help the UK FOSS4G community?

Please let us know what you think.

Thanks

Tom

Re: Should we sponsor adding support to GDAL for FileGDB?

Tom Chadwin-2
Morning all

I didn't get any response to my specific enquiry about sponsoring the GDB raster idea. There has since been a new development, with much discussion online on the importance of sponsoring GDAL as a whole. In parallel with this, Even Rouault, the core GDAL developer, has now set up a sponsorship mechanism.

We're keen to contribute to GDAL development and are thinking about sponsoring Even directly via GitHub. After discussion among the committee, we propose to do this if we don't get any negative responses within the next couple of days. Please therefore drop us a reply on- or off-list if you have any thoughts.

Thanks

Tom

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 5:03 PM Tom Chadwin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Mike Saunt-2
I think it's a brilliant idea.

Lots of studies done over the years but often the software maintenance cost is many multiples of the original "development" cost - therefore this methodology could provide a great, sustainable mechanism for Even moving forward and GDAL as a whole.

On Wed, 20 Jan 2021 at 09:29, Tom Chadwin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Astun Technology Ltd, 120 Manor Green Road, Epsom, Surrey, KT19 8LN, UK
t:+44 1372 744 009 w: astuntechnology.com twitter:@astuntech

Company registration no. 5410695. Registered in England and Wales. Registered office: 120 Manor Green Road, Epsom, Surrey, KT19 8LN VAT no. 864201149.

Re: Should we sponsor adding support to GDAL for FileGDB?

James Milner
+1 from me around sponsoring GDAL maintenance/development directly - absolutely core infrastructure for a lot of other projects downstream (whilst also being incredibly valuable in and of itself!)