Should a new print composition contain a map item by default?

123

Re: Should a new print composition contain a map item by default?

Nathan Woodrow

Open a PR and we do talk about this on there.

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 10:16 am Matthias Kuhn <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10/11/2015 01:30 AM, Nathan Woodrow wrote:

> If you can make it work without looking too cluttered go for it.  I
> was thinking that also pressing Project -> New Project could open that
> widget again to pick a template or recent. That is what Word does and
> I find it very handy.

Does that look too cluttered?

http://imgur.com/3egvzo9

If the space for the recent projects gets too small we could also make
the thumbnails smaller and rearrange the text and thumbnail on the list
items (aka responsive design).

+1 for having a way to put the welcome screen back on top

Re: Should a new print composition contain a map item by default?

Matthias Kuhn 🌍
I don't really have more time to work on this at the moment

On 10/11/2015 02:42 AM, Nathan Woodrow wrote:

Open a PR and we do talk about this on there.

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 10:16 am Matthias Kuhn <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10/11/2015 01:30 AM, Nathan Woodrow wrote:

> If you can make it work without looking too cluttered go for it.  I
> was thinking that also pressing Project -> New Project could open that
> widget again to pick a template or recent. That is what Word does and
> I find it very handy.

Does that look too cluttered?

http://imgur.com/3egvzo9

If the space for the recent projects gets too small we could also make
the thumbnails smaller and rearrange the text and thumbnail on the list
items (aka responsive design).

+1 for having a way to put the welcome screen back on top

Re: Should a new print composition contain a map item by default?

Nathan Woodrow

I will have a look after feature freeze.

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 4:18 pm Matthias Kuhn <[hidden email]> wrote:
I don't really have more time to work on this at the moment

On 10/11/2015 02:42 AM, Nathan Woodrow wrote:

Open a PR and we do talk about this on there.

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 10:16 am Matthias Kuhn <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10/11/2015 01:30 AM, Nathan Woodrow wrote:

> If you can make it work without looking too cluttered go for it.  I
> was thinking that also pressing Project -> New Project could open that
> widget again to pick a template or recent. That is what Word does and
> I find it very handy.

Does that look too cluttered?

http://imgur.com/3egvzo9

If the space for the recent projects gets too small we could also make
the thumbnails smaller and rearrange the text and thumbnail on the list
items (aka responsive design).

+1 for having a way to put the welcome screen back on top

Re: Should a new print composition contain a map item by default?

Richard Duivenvoorde
On 11-10-15 02:42, Nathan Woodrow wrote:
> Open a PR and we do talk about this on there.

It is good to have this UX discussions (anywhere, but I think the UX
list is a good place to start). We need more of this for QGIS, though
next time in a separate thread would be nice :-)

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

Re: Should a new print composition contain a map item by default?

Andreas Neumann-4

I agree with Nyall. The OpenLayers map layers would be very bad to ship by default. It is legally and technically questionable and leads to lots of frustrations with unaligned map content, poor quality, etc.

The other problem with tiled map providers is that the resolution is usually really bad. It is optimized for 96dpi screen displays - so it will result in poor prints and poor quality base maps even on high-dpi displays. Or are these tiled maps also available in higher resolutions? Something like 300dpi?

Let's also not forget that the majority of our user base works on a very local level. At least in Switzerland, 90% of the professional users work in their community or province. They have their own data. Adding worldwide layers by default would be annoying to them.

Again - the idea of shipping project templates would be fine for me.

In the whole discussion we should also think about performance - not just about making life easier for new users. If we stuff in lots and lot of startup dialogues and options, QGIS will eventually be slow to start ... for the same reason I advice people to deinstall/disable python plugins they don't really need.

Andreas

On 10.10.2015 23:11, Nyall Dawson wrote:

On 11 Oct 2015 5:23 AM, "Tim Sutton" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Actually it is a common feedback I get that it would be good to ship QGIS with e.g. OpenLayers plugin and start with a base map loaded by default. Or at the very least a simple vector layer of country outlines. It lets the user immediately orientate themselves on the map and provides context. Again something that we could make configurable but nice to provide as an out of the box experience for new users. Instead of comparing to word processor or illustrator, compare rather to Google Earth, Marble, any online mapping app you encounter….

I feel like I'm the -1 guy at the moment, but I'm strongly opposed to including openlayers by default. Apart from the grey legal status of using some of the provided layers, the plugin also has some major bugs. I hate to think of how much wasted hours/frustration with QGIS has been caused by the incompatibility between OL basemaps and composer, it seems like this issue is always popping up on stackexchange.

That said, I'd be +1 for a proper (c++) tiled provider and an optional default OSM base map.

Nyall

> Regards
>
> Tim
>

>> Andreas
>>

>> On 10.10.2015 11:12, Anita Graser wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> A user (Lars S. Sørensen on Twitter) suggested that it would make sense and improve the printing workflow if
>>> ​ a new print composition would contain a map item by default.
>>>
>>> Is there any reason not to add a map by default?
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>>
>>> Best wishes,
>>> Anita​

> —
>

> Tim Sutton
>
> Visit http://kartoza.com to find out about open source:
>
> * Desktop GIS programming services
> * Geospatial web development
> * GIS Training
> * Consulting Services
>
> Skype: timlinux Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net
> Tim is a member of the QGIS Project Steering Committee
>
> Kartoza is a merger between Linfiniti and Afrispatial

Re: Should a new print composition contain a map item by default?

Tim Sutton-6
Hi

On 10 Oct 2015, at 23:11, Nyall Dawson <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 11 Oct 2015 5:23 AM, "Tim Sutton" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Actually it is a common feedback I get that it would be good to ship QGIS with e.g. OpenLayers plugin and start with a base map loaded by default. Or at the very least a simple vector layer of country outlines. It lets the user immediately orientate themselves on the map and provides context. Again something that we could make configurable but nice to provide as an out of the box experience for new users. Instead of comparing to word processor or illustrator, compare rather to Google Earth, Marble, any online mapping app you encounter….

I feel like I'm the -1 guy at the moment, but I'm strongly opposed to including openlayers by default. Apart from the grey legal status of using some of the provided layers, the plugin also has some major bugs. I hate to think of how much waste

hours/frustration with QGIS has been caused by the incompatibility between OL basemaps and composer, it seems like this issue is always popping up on stack exchange.

Hi - yeah I am aware of the legal grains - I didn’t compose my message very well - I wasn’t actually proposing to ship it by default - but rather to have a backdrop layer by default. Besides the legal issues with OL plugin, the issues with printing make it a poor candidate for being a default QGIS component (although it is my favourite plugin after InaSAFE :-P ). So 100% agreed with you there...

That said, I'd be +1 for a proper (c++) tiled provider and an optional default OSM base map.

Yeah - I think we could actually just wrap OSM as a GDAL XML layer e.g.:

<GDAL_WMS>
  <Service name="TMS">
    <ServerUrl><a href="http://otile1.mqcdn.com/tiles/1.0.0/osm/{z}/{x}/{y}.png&lt;/ServerUrl&gt;" class="">http://otile1.mqcdn.com/tiles/1.0.0/osm/{z}/{x}/{y}.png</ServerUrl>
  </Service>
  <DataWindow>
    <UpperLeftX>-20037508.34</UpperLeftX>
    <UpperLeftY>20037508.34</UpperLeftY>
    <LowerRightX>20037508.34</LowerRightX>
    <LowerRightY>-20037508.34</LowerRightY>
    <TileLevel>18</TileLevel>
    <TileCountX>1</TileCountX>
    <TileCountY>1</TileCountY>
    <YOrigin>top</YOrigin>
  </DataWindow>
  <Projection>EPSG:3857</Projection>
  <BlockSizeX>256</BlockSizeX>
  <BlockSizeY>256</BlockSizeY>
  <BandsCount>3</BandsCount>
  <MaxConnections>6</MaxConnections>
  <Cache/>
</GDAL_WMS>

The above gives you an OSM baseman if you add that layer to your map as a GDAL Layer. There is a small issue of setting it to use tile scale intervals but I guess we can figure out something to force that behaviour / enable tile slider for that layer?

The beauty of the above approach is that it requires very little coding since we are just wrapping the service as a GDAL layer.

Regards

Tim

Nyall

Skype: timlinux Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: Should a new print composition contain a map item by default?

Tim Sutton-6
Hi

Just a quick apology for all the typos in my message…hope it still made sense :-p

Regards

Tim

    <ServerUrl><a href="http://otile1.mqcdn.com/tiles/1.0.0/osm/{z}/{x}/{y}.png%3C/ServerUrl%3E" class="">http://otile1.mqcdn.com/tiles/1.0.0/osm/{z}/{x}/{y}.png</ServerUrl>
  </Service>
  <DataWindow>
    <UpperLeftX>-20037508.34</UpperLeftX>
    <UpperLeftY>20037508.34</UpperLeftY>
    <LowerRightX>20037508.34</LowerRightX>
    <LowerRightY>-20037508.34</LowerRightY>
    <TileLevel>18</TileLevel>
    <TileCountX>1</TileCountX>
    <TileCountY>1</TileCountY>
    <YOrigin>top</YOrigin>
  </DataWindow>
  <Projection>EPSG:3857</Projection>
  <BlockSizeX>256</BlockSizeX>
  <BlockSizeY>256</BlockSizeY>
  <BandsCount>3</BandsCount>
  <MaxConnections>6</MaxConnections>
  <Cache/>
</GDAL_WMS>

The above gives you an OSM baseman if you add that layer to your map as a GDAL Layer. There is a small issue of setting it to use tile scale intervals but I guess we can figure out something to force that behaviour / enable tile slider for that layer?

The beauty of the above approach is that it requires very little coding since we are just wrapping the service as a GDAL layer.

Regards

Tim

Nyall

> Regards
>
> Tim
>

>> Andreas
>>

>> On 10.10.2015 11:12, Anita Graser wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> A user (Lars S. Sørensen on Twitter) suggested that it would make sense and improve the printing workflow if
>>> ​ a new print composition would contain a map item by default.
>>>
>>> Is there any reason not to add a map by default?
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>>
>>> Best wishes,
>>> Anita​

> —
>

> Tim Sutton
>
> Visit http://kartoza.com to find out about open source:
>
> * Desktop GIS programming services
> * Geospatial web development
> * GIS Training
> * Consulting Services
>
> Skype: timlinux Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net
> Tim is a member of the QGIS Project Steering Committee
>
> Kartoza is a merger between Linfiniti and Afrispatial

<KartozaLogo160x66.png>

Tim Sutton

Skype: timlinux Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Tim Sutton