Should a new print composition contain a map item by default?

123

Should a new print composition contain a map item by default?

Anita Graser
Hi,

A user (Lars S. Sørensen on Twitter) suggested that it would make sense and improve the printing workflow if
​ a new print composition would contain a map item by default.

Is there any reason not to add a map by default?

What do you think?

Best wishes,
Anita​

Re: Should a new print composition contain a map item by default?

Nyall Dawson
On 10 October 2015 at 20:12, Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A user (Lars S. Sørensen on Twitter) suggested that it would make sense and
> improve the printing workflow if
> a new print composition would contain a map item by default.
>
> Is there any reason not to add a map by default?
>
> What do you think?

Hmm... I'm wavering somewhere between a -0 and a +0 to this. Count me as a 0 ;)

Nyall

> Best wishes,
> Anita

Re: Should a new print composition contain a map item by default?

Nathan Woodrow

Why don't we just ship some basic default templates that is what they are form. Map, Map + Title + Scale, The works (map, legend, scale, title, etc)

I think that is the best option and shows how templates work.

Regards,
Nathan

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 7:14 pm Nyall Dawson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10 October 2015 at 20:12, Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A user (Lars S. Sørensen on Twitter) suggested that it would make sense and
> improve the printing workflow if
> a new print composition would contain a map item by default.
>
> Is there any reason not to add a map by default?
>
> What do you think?

Hmm... I'm wavering somewhere between a -0 and a +0 to this. Count me as a 0 ;)

Nyall

> Best wishes,
> Anita

Re: Should a new print composition contain a map item by default?

pcav
Il 10/10/2015 11:13, Nyall Dawson ha scritto:

> Hmm... I'm wavering somewhere between a -0 and a +0 to this. Count me as a 0 ;)

+1
In my experience, the blank page is intimidating for new users.
A simple template would help a lot.
Thanks.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu

Re: Should a new print composition contain a map item by default?

Colin Moretti
As a new user that seems very sensible and helpful to me.

Colin

On 10 October 2015 at 10:21, Nathan Woodrow <[hidden email]> wrote:

Why don't we just ship some basic default templates that is what they are form. Map, Map + Title + Scale, The works (map, legend, scale, title, etc)

I think that is the best option and shows how templates work.

Regards,
Nathan

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 7:14 pm Nyall Dawson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10 October 2015 at 20:12, Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A user (Lars S. Sørensen on Twitter) suggested that it would make sense and
> improve the printing workflow if
> a new print composition would contain a map item by default.
>
> Is there any reason not to add a map by default?
>
> What do you think?

Hmm... I'm wavering somewhere between a -0 and a +0 to this. Count me as a 0 ;)

Nyall

> Best wishes,
> Anita

Re: Should a new print composition contain a map item by default?

Alexandre Neto
+1 The blank page is quite confusing for first users. Plud the add map icon is not very obvious.

Using a basic template would be very nice to have.

Alexandre

On Sat, Oct 10, 2015 at 11:21 AM, Nathan Woodrow <[hidden email]> wrote:

Why don't we just ship some basic default templates that is what they are form. Map, Map + Title + Scale, The works (map, legend, scale, title, etc)

​Sounds good! And the default template used wouldn't be "empty" but "map"?

Best wishes,
Anita​

I think that is the best option and shows how templates work.

Regards,
Nathan

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 7:14 pm Nyall Dawson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10 October 2015 at 20:12, Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A user (Lars S. Sørensen on Twitter) suggested that it would make sense and
> improve the printing workflow if
> a new print composition would contain a map item by default.
>
> Is there any reason not to add a map by default?
>
> What do you think?

Hmm... I'm wavering somewhere between a -0 and a +0 to this. Count me as a 0 ;)

Nyall

> Best wishes,
> Anita

Re: Should a new print composition contain a map item by default?

Mathieu Pellerin

I see a big -1 issue for me. Adding a map item by default will tremendously slow down the opening of the composer window as it'll freeze to draw map content. On a complex project that'd be very problematic.

Why don't we have the map item tool activated by default with a grayed tip / help string on empty page that says "click n drag over sheet to add map".

On 10 Oct 2015 18:26, "Alexandre Neto" <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 The blank page is quite confusing for first users. Plud the add map icon is not very obvious.

Using a basic template would be very nice to have.

Alexandre
Em sáb, 10 de out de 2015 às 10:21, Nathan Woodrow <[hidden email]> escreveu:

Why don't we just ship some basic default templates that is what they are form. Map, Map + Title + Scale, The works (map, legend, scale, title, etc)

I think that is the best option and shows how templates work.

Regards,
Nathan

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 7:14 pm Nyall Dawson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10 October 2015 at 20:12, Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A user (Lars S. Sørensen on Twitter) suggested that it would make sense and
> improve the printing workflow if
> a new print composition would contain a map item by default.
>
> Is there any reason not to add a map by default?
>
> What do you think?

Hmm... I'm wavering somewhere between a -0 and a +0 to this. Count me as a 0 ;)

Nyall

> Best wishes,
> Anita

Re: Should a new print composition contain a map item by default?

Nathan Woodrow

I don't adding by default is a good idea but simply having a default list of templates.

Empty
Map
Map legned

Etc

On 10 October 2015 at 22:32, Mathieu Pellerin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I see a big -1 issue for me. Adding a map item by default will tremendously
> slow down the opening of the composer window as it'll freeze to draw map
> content. On a complex project that'd be very problematic.

Good point. I'm amending my vote to a -1.

Nyall

Re: Should a new print composition contain a map item by default?

Richard Duivenvoorde
yes! +1

even only a map is already OK for me (a map is what you ALWAYS want, the
other items not)

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

On 10-10-15 13:25, Alexandre Neto wrote:

> +1 The blank page is quite confusing for first users. Plud the add map
> icon is not very obvious.
>
> Using a basic template would be very nice to have.
>
> Alexandre
> Em sáb, 10 de out de 2015 às 10:21, Nathan Woodrow <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> escreveu:
>
>     Why don't we just ship some basic default templates that is what
>     they are form. Map, Map + Title + Scale, The works (map, legend,
>     scale, title, etc)
>
>     I think that is the best option and shows how templates work.
>
>     Regards,
>     Nathan
>

>     On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 7:14 pm Nyall Dawson <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>         On 10 October 2015 at 20:12, Anita Graser <[hidden email]
>         <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>         > Hi,
>         >
>         > A user (Lars S. Sørensen on Twitter) suggested that it would
>         make sense and
>         > improve the printing workflow if
>         > a new print composition would contain a map item by default.
>         >
>         > Is there any reason not to add a map by default?
>         >
>         > What do you think?
>
>         Hmm... I'm wavering somewhere between a -0 and a +0 to this.
>         Count me as a 0 ;)
>
>         Nyall
>

>         >
>         > Best wishes,
>         > Anita
>         >
>         > _______________________________________________
>         > QGIS-UX mailing list
>         > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>         > http://lists.osgeo.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/qgis-ux
>         >

Re: Should a new print composition contain a map item by default?

Matthias Kuhn 🌍
Sounds great

How about map with title, legend, scale, date, (author?)?

On 10-10-15 13:37, Nyall Dawson wrote:
> On 10 October 2015 at 22:32, Mathieu Pellerin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I see a big -1 issue for me. Adding a map item by default will tremendously
>> slow down the opening of the composer window as it'll freeze to draw map
>> content. On a complex project that'd be very problematic.
>>

> Good point. I'm amending my vote to a -1.

Mmm, BUT the first thing somebody will do is add a map item isn't it?
And yes that will be slow if you have a complex project and a big
bbox... BUT 80% of the new composers will not have a big complex project
and a big bbox (I think).

And isn't it depending on the default 'rendering' option if you'll
really render the map or just a cross?

I think the workflow of printing maps would be made easier if the
default composer would be a portrait a4 with map (forget that Letter
format ;-) ). So my conclusion: make it an option?

Richard

Re: Should a new print composition contain a map item by default?

Mathieu Pellerin

IMO this would negatively affect the app responsiveness perception by users.

+1 for a default list of templates, which would include a blank composer.

On Sat, Oct 10, 2015 at 1:42 PM, Richard Duivenvoorde <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10-10-15 13:37, Nyall Dawson wrote:
> On 10 October 2015 at 22:32, Mathieu Pellerin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I see a big -1 issue for me. Adding a map item by default will tremendously
>> slow down the opening of the composer window as it'll freeze to draw map
>> content. On a complex project that'd be very problematic.
>>

> Good point. I'm amending my vote to a -1.

Mmm, BUT the first thing somebody will do is add a map item isn't it?
And yes that will be slow if you have a complex project and a big
bbox... BUT 80% of the new composers will not have a big complex project
and a big bbox (I think).

And isn't it depending on the default 'rendering' option if you'll
really render the map or just a cross?

I think the workflow of printing maps would be made easier if the
default composer would be a portrait a4 with map (forget that Letter
format ;-) ). So my conclusion: make it an option?

​When you're asked to pick the composer name, have a checkbox to automatically add a map item?

Best wishes,
Anita​

Richard

Re: Should a new print composition contain a map item by default?

Mathieu Pellerin

Yeah, or a dropdown list box with templates.

On 10 Oct 2015 18:50, "Anita Graser" <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sat, Oct 10, 2015 at 1:42 PM, Richard Duivenvoorde <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10-10-15 13:37, Nyall Dawson wrote:
> On 10 October 2015 at 22:32, Mathieu Pellerin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I see a big -1 issue for me. Adding a map item by default will tremendously
>> slow down the opening of the composer window as it'll freeze to draw map
>> content. On a complex project that'd be very problematic.
>>

> Good point. I'm amending my vote to a -1.

Mmm, BUT the first thing somebody will do is add a map item isn't it?
And yes that will be slow if you have a complex project and a big
bbox... BUT 80% of the new composers will not have a big complex project
and a big bbox (I think).

And isn't it depending on the default 'rendering' option if you'll
really render the map or just a cross?

I think the workflow of printing maps would be made easier if the
default composer would be a portrait a4 with map (forget that Letter
format ;-) ). So my conclusion: make it an option?

​When you're asked to pick the composer name, have a checkbox to automatically add a map item?

Best wishes,
Anita​

Richard

Re: Should a new print composition contain a map item by default?

DelazJ
Hi,
map canvas also begins with a blank page. does it puzzle users?
Providing template(s) can be a solution, but imho blank page should remain an option (since there are so many page sizes/orientation). I personnally prefer beginning from a blank page and add what i need where i need it instead of having to reshape or delete items.

Yeah, or a dropdown list box with templates.

On 10 Oct 2015 18:50, "Anita Graser" <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sat, Oct 10, 2015 at 1:42 PM, Richard Duivenvoorde <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10-10-15 13:37, Nyall Dawson wrote:
> On 10 October 2015 at 22:32, Mathieu Pellerin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I see a big -1 issue for me. Adding a map item by default will tremendously
>> slow down the opening of the composer window as it'll freeze to draw map
>> content. On a complex project that'd be very problematic.
>>

> Good point. I'm amending my vote to a -1.

Mmm, BUT the first thing somebody will do is add a map item isn't it?
And yes that will be slow if you have a complex project and a big
bbox... BUT 80% of the new composers will not have a big complex project
and a big bbox (I think).

And isn't it depending on the default 'rendering' option if you'll
really render the map or just a cross?

I think the workflow of printing maps would be made easier if the
default composer would be a portrait a4 with map (forget that Letter
format ;-) ). So my conclusion: make it an option?

​When you're asked to pick the composer name, have a checkbox to automatically add a map item?

Best wishes,
Anita​

Richard

Re: Should a new print composition contain a map item by default?

Matthias Kuhn 🌍
I like this.
And a checkbox to "make this the default template" which is preselected next time.

So users with big, complex projects can change their default template.

On 10/10/2015 01:51 PM, Mathieu Pellerin wrote:

Yeah, or a dropdown list box with templates.

On 10 Oct 2015 18:50, "Anita Graser" <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sat, Oct 10, 2015 at 1:42 PM, Richard Duivenvoorde <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10-10-15 13:37, Nyall Dawson wrote:
> On 10 October 2015 at 22:32, Mathieu Pellerin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I see a big -1 issue for me. Adding a map item by default will tremendously
>> slow down the opening of the composer window as it'll freeze to draw map
>> content. On a complex project that'd be very problematic.
>>

> Good point. I'm amending my vote to a -1.

Mmm, BUT the first thing somebody will do is add a map item isn't it?
And yes that will be slow if you have a complex project and a big
bbox... BUT 80% of the new composers will not have a big complex project
and a big bbox (I think).

And isn't it depending on the default 'rendering' option if you'll
really render the map or just a cross?

I think the workflow of printing maps would be made easier if the
default composer would be a portrait a4 with map (forget that Letter
format ;-) ). So my conclusion: make it an option?

​ When you're asked to pick the composer name, have a checkbox to automatically add a map item?

Best wishes,
Anita ​

Richard

Re: Should a new print composition contain a map item by default?

Brian Stromberg
First time I used the composer it was pretty confusing. I figured it out eventually but having template options or some kind of guidance in adding a map item would make it much more usable. Perhaps a menu that appears by default with a new composer but with a 'don't show this every time' option?

--
Brian

On 10 Oct 2015 18:50, "Anita Graser" <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:

On Sat, Oct 10, 2015 at 1:42 PM, Richard Duivenvoorde <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:
On 10-10-15 13:37, Nyall Dawson wrote:
> On 10 October 2015 at 22:32, Mathieu Pellerin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I see a big -1 issue for me. Adding a map item by default will tremendously
>> slow down the opening of the composer window as it'll freeze to draw map
>> content. On a complex project that'd be very problematic.
>>

> Good point. I'm amending my vote to a -1.

Mmm, BUT the first thing somebody will do is add a map item isn't it?
And yes that will be slow if you have a complex project and a big
bbox... BUT 80% of the new composers will not have a big complex project
and a big bbox (I think).

And isn't it depending on the default 'rendering' option if you'll
really render the map or just a cross?

I think the workflow of printing maps would be made easier if the
default composer would be a portrait a4 with map (forget that Letter
format ;-) ). So my conclusion: make it an option?

​ When you're asked to pick the composer name, have a checkbox to automatically add a map item?

Best wishes,
Anita ​

Richard

Re: Should a new print composition contain a map item by default?

Andreas Neumann-4

I like Nathans idea of default templates. But I don't like an automatic map item to display by default.

A graphics software like Inkscape or Adobe Illustrator, or even your word processor, starts with an empty page. What's so wrong about it? If you don't like the empty page then use a template. Templates are a commonly understood option in many software packages.

We also start QGIS with a blank project with no layers added - and users figure out how to add layers ...

Andreas