Should These Maps Be Aligned?

Kent Eschenberg
The roads from roadtrl020.tar.gz and the relief map from srld48i200l.tar.gz
(nationalatlas.gov) don't seem aligned near Los Angeles (I haven't looked
closely elsewhere). Some roads are over the ocean.

I converted the relief map from its Lambert projection to geographic (i.e.,
longitude and latitude) with gdalwarp. As far as I can tell the roads already
use that projection. No prj file came with the roads but the included text file
has this section:

===
Spatial_Reference_Information:
   Horizontal_Coordinate_System_Definition:
     Geographic:
       Latitude_Resolution: 0.000278
       Longitude_Resolution: 0.000278
       Geographic_Coordinate_Units: Decimal degrees
     Geodetic_Model:
       Horizontal_Datum_Name: North American Datum of 1983
       Ellipsoid_Name: GRS1980
       Semi-major_Axis: 6378137
       Denominator_of_Flattening_Ratio: 298.257222
===

I wrote a C++ program that with the gdal/ogr library reads these then writes
them in the VTK XML format. These can then be used by a scientific
visualization program (ParaView) where we are also displaying earthquake
simulation results. I could have made an error, of course.

Is there some non-commercial software I could run on Linux to display the road
and relief maps together to check whether they are aligned?

Thanks!
Kent
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center

Re: Should These Maps Be Aligned?

Mateusz Loskot
Kent Eschenberg wrote:

> I converted the relief map from its Lambert projection to geographic
> (i.e., longitude and latitude) with gdalwarp. As far as I can tell the
> roads already use that projection. No prj file came with the roads but
> the included text file has this section:
>
> ===
> Spatial_Reference_Information:
>   Horizontal_Coordinate_System_Definition:
>     Geographic:
>       Latitude_Resolution: 0.000278
>       Longitude_Resolution: 0.000278
>       Geographic_Coordinate_Units: Decimal degrees
>     Geodetic_Model:
>       Horizontal_Datum_Name: North American Datum of 1983
>       Ellipsoid_Name: GRS1980
>       Semi-major_Axis: 6378137
>       Denominator_of_Flattening_Ratio: 298.257222
> ===
>
> I wrote a C++ program that with the gdal/ogr library reads these then
> writes them in the VTK XML format.

Kent,

I don't know what's the VTK XML format, but AFAIK it's not
supported by OGR.

> These can then be used by a
> scientific visualization program (ParaView) where we are also displaying
> earthquake simulation results. I could have made an error, of course.
>
> Is there some non-commercial software I could run on Linux to display
> the road and relief maps together to check whether they are aligned?

What about Quantum GIS, http://www.qgis.ogr

Cheers
--
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net

Re: Should These Maps Be Aligned?

Dean Mikkelsen
I am not sure either, but another package I often use is uDig.

Cheers,
Dean

> > I converted the relief map from its Lambert projection to geographic
> > (i.e., longitude and latitude) with gdalwarp. As far as I can
> tell the
> > roads already use that projection. No prj file came with the
> roads but
> > the included text file has this section:
> >
> > ===
> > Spatial_Reference_Information:
> >   Horizontal_Coordinate_System_Definition:
> >     Geographic:
> >       Latitude_Resolution: 0.000278
> >       Longitude_Resolution: 0.000278
> >
> Geographic_Coordinate_Units: Decimal degrees
> >     Geodetic_Model:
> >       Horizontal_Datum_Name:
> North American Datum of 1983
> >       Ellipsoid_Name: GRS1980
> >       Semi-major_Axis: 6378137
> >
> Denominator_of_Flattening_Ratio: 298.257222
> > ===
> >
> > I wrote a C++ program that with the gdal/ogr library reads
> these then
> > writes them in the VTK XML format.
>
> Kent,
>
> I don't know what's the VTK XML format, but AFAIK it's not
> supported by OGR.
>
> > These can then be used by a
> > scientific visualization program (ParaView) where we are also
> displaying> earthquake simulation results. I could have made an
> error, of course.
> >
> > Is there some non-commercial software I could run on Linux to
> display> the road and relief maps together to check whether they
> are aligned?
>
> What about Quantum GIS, http://www.qgis.ogr
>
> Cheers
> --
> Mateusz Loskot
> http://mateusz.loskot.net

Dean C. Mikkelsen, B.Sc., P.Eng.
Terra ETL Ltd.
Victoria, B.C., Canada
Phone: +1 (250) 88TERRA (83772)
http://www.terraetl.com

Consulting in Geodesy & GIS  for the Natural Resources