Should OSGeo:UK help fund Geoserver?

Tom Chadwin
Hello all

The Geoserver devs just put out a call for funding. They want to make Geoserver compatible with Java 11 (recently released) and a sprint is taking place to carry out work to this end. My limited understanding is that Java 11 has caused various problems with backwards compatibility, and hence Geoserver needs considerable work in order to complete it. Ian, if you are on this list, please do correct or expand (Ian is a core GeoTools dev and is attending the sprint). Further details are at https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Java_2018_Code_Sprint, including sponsorship levels.

If OSGeo:UK has the funds, do we want to contribute to this effort?

Thanks

Tom

________________________

Tom Chadwin, ICT Manager
Telephone: 01434 611530 Mob:
Web: www.northumberlandnationalpark.org.uk<http://www.northumberlandnationalpark.org.uk/>

IMPORTANT NOTICE - Disclaimer - This communication is from Northumberland National Park Authority (NNPA).The Authority’s head office and principal place of business is Eastburn, South Park, Hexham, Northumberland, NE46 1BS, United Kingdom. If you are not the intended recipient(s) please note that any form of disclosure, distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it or in any attachments is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please delete the email and destroy any copies of it. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of NNPA.Contractors or potential contractors are reminded that a formal Order or Contract is needed for NNPA to be bound by any offer or acceptance of terms for the supply of goods or services Although this email and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defects which might affect any computer or IT system into which they are received, no responsibility is accepted by the NNPA for any loss or damage arising in any way from the receipt or use thereof. Computer systems of this Authority may be monitored and communications carried out on them recorded, to secure the effective operation of the system and for other lawful purpose.

Re: Should OSGeo:UK help fund Geoserver?

Jo Cook
Hi Tom,

Having discussed this with the rest of the officers, we're definitely considering sponsoring this- thanks for flagging it up. I'm not sure yet what level we will go for (Silver or Bronze).

Regards

Jo

On Thu, Oct 4, 2018 at 9:01 AM Tom Chadwin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

t:+44 7930 524 155/twitter:@archaeogeek
Please note that currently I do not work on Friday afternoons. For urgent responses at that time, please visit support.astuntechnology.com or phone our office on 01372 744009

Astun Technology Ltd, The Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18 7RL, UK
t:+44 1372 744 009 w: astuntechnology.com twitter:@astuntech

Company registration no. 5410695. Registered in England and Wales. Registered office: 120 Manor Green Road, Epsom, Surrey, KT19 8LN VAT no. 864201149.

Re: Should OSGeo:UK help fund Geoserver?

Mike Saunt-2
Tom / All

At least 2 of Astun staff will be working on this in Epsom over the code sprint.  We'll have a dedicated room for it and if anyone wants to join in then you are more than welcome.

Coffee, lunch and table tennis opponents provide free - you'd have to cover your own expenses to get and stay in Epsom.

Come and join the compiling / testing fun!

Mike

On Mon, 8 Oct 2018 at 09:23, Jo Cook <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Mike Saunt