Shapfile of type polygon showing point features in WMS

Shapfile of type polygon showing point features in WMS

naresh
Hello All,

I am using GeoServer2.7.4 ,PostgreSQL 10.7 and PostGIS 2.5.2. I have
uploaded the shapefile of type polygon/line to PosgresQL Database(PostGIS
enabled). Created the store from PostgreSQL/PostGIS in GeoServer.  I have
published the PostgreSQL table( Uploaded Shapefile type of poygon) , then
GeoServer assigns Default POINT SLD to it instead of assigning polygon.
Please find the attached screenshot which shows *the_geom* type as
*Geometry* which is wrong.

Kindly help how to fix the issue. Which part of GeoServer code assigns
*the_geom* type?

Please let me know any other information required further

Thanks&Regards,
Naresh

--
Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/GeoServer-User-f3786390.html

Re: Shapfile of type polygon showing point features in WMS

Brad Hards
GeoServer 2.7.4 is pretty old. Perhaps trying an upgrade first would be a
good idea. After that, you could double-check how you created the database
table - what does postgis think the data type is?

In any case, you can probably just assign whichever default style you want
using the UI. See
https://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/data/webadmin/layers.html#wms-sett
ings

Brad

I am using GeoServer2.7.4 ,PostgreSQL 10.7 and PostGIS 2.5.2. I have
uploaded the shapefile of type polygon/line to PosgresQL Database(PostGIS
enabled). Created the store from PostgreSQL/PostGIS in GeoServer.  I have
published the PostgreSQL table( Uploaded Shapefile type of poygon) , then
GeoServer assigns Default POINT SLD to it instead of assigning polygon.
Please find the attached screenshot which shows *the_geom* type as
*Geometry* which is wrong.

Kindly help how to fix the issue. Which part of GeoServer code assigns
*the_geom* type?

Please let me know any other information required further

Thanks&Regards,
Naresh

--
Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/GeoServer-User-f3786390.html

https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/wiki/Successfully-requesting-and-inte
grating-new-features-and-improvements-in-GeoServer

Re: Shapfile of type polygon showing point features in WMS

naresh
Dear Brad,
Thanks for quick response.
1. I am deploying GeoNode 2.4 version which has customized version of GeoServer which is 2.7.4. So I can not upgrade to higher version of GeoServer.
2. In database after uploading shape file 9f type polygon , i have verified geom column type it showing as property with multi polygon. As per my understanding when we are publishing postgresql table in Geoserver 2.7.4, some have misinterpreted the-geom type and it is showing as Geometry and assigned default point SLD. Only problem is compatlblity of Geoserver 2.7.4 with postgresql 10.6 and. PostGIS 2.5.2

So if we know In Geoserver which part of code vetifies and asdigns the the_grom type we can chbage/fix the code.

Kindly help me in this regards

Thanks,
NARESH

On Wed, Apr 24, 2019, 3:26 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:
GeoServer 2.7.4 is pretty old. Perhaps trying an upgrade first would be a
good idea. After that, you could double-check how you created the database
table - what does postgis think the data type is?

In any case, you can probably just assign whichever default style you want
using the UI. See
https://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/data/webadmin/layers.html#wms-sett
ings

Brad

Re: Shapfile of type polygon showing point features in WMS

Brad Hards

Then I’d strongly suggest trying a newer version of GeoNode.

If you want to do something in the code, you’ll likely find it in geotools, rather than geoserver.

Brad

Re: Shapfile of type polygon showing point features in WMS

geowolf
On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 2:21 PM Naresh N <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Brad,
Thanks for quick response.
1. I am deploying GeoNode 2.4 version which has customized version of GeoServer which is 2.7.4. So I can not upgrade to higher version of GeoServer.

As Brad said, upgrade if you can, you're running  on a really old version, hard to get any support for it (free or otherwise), I believe the current stable is 2.8.

2. In database after uploading shape file 9f type polygon , i have verified geom column type it showing as property with multi polygon.

The open shapefile specification (https://www.esri.com/library/whitepapers/pdfs/shapefile.pdf) has no distinction between polygon and multipolygon,
so the code defaults to multipolygon. ESRI might have added some extra sidecar file with a better description, but if there is any such file,
GeoTools (the library reading the shapefile) cannot read it.

As per my understanding when we are publishing postgresql table in Geoserver 2.7.4, some have misinterpreted the-geom type and it is showing as Geometry and assigned default point SLD.

This seems to be unlikely, the default style selector picks the "polygon" style for both simple and multi-polygons. But then again, I don't know how
GeoNode interacts with GeoServer so maybe it's not using the GeoServer defaults and doing its own custom thing, you should ask on the GeoNode lists.
Or maybe someone modified the style, by SLD rules a polygon is to be depicted as a point if the style uses a point symbolizer.

Cheers
Andrea

==

GeoServer Professional Services from the experts! Visit http://goo.gl/it488V for more information. == Ing. Andrea Aime @geowolf Technical Lead GeoSolutions S.A.S. Via di Montramito 3/A 55054 Massarosa (LU) phone: +39 0584 962313 fax: +39 0584 1660272 mob: +39 339 8844549 http://www.geo-solutions.it http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it ------------------------------------------------------- Con riferimento alla normativa sul trattamento dei dati personali (Reg. UE 2016/679 - Regolamento generale sulla protezione dei dati “GDPR”), si precisa che ogni circostanza inerente alla presente email (il suo contenuto, gli eventuali allegati, etc.) è un dato la cui conoscenza è riservata al/i solo/i destinatario/i indicati dallo scrivente. Se il messaggio Le è giunto per errore, è tenuta/o a cancellarlo, ogni altra operazione è illecita. Le sarei comunque grato se potesse darmene notizia. This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. We remind that - as provided by European Regulation 2016/679 “GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email by mistake, please notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail.

Re: Shapfile of type polygon showing point features in WMS

naresh
Dear Andrea and Brad,

Thanks for responding and suggestions

As per my understanding when we are publishing postgresql table in Geoserver 2.7.4, some have misinterpreted the-geom type and it is showing as Geometry and assigned default point SLD.
GeoServer assigning for all the PostgreSQL/PostGIS tables(point/polygon/line) published layers to default SLD.  I have tested by deploying separate GeoServer 2.7.4 Instance and PostgreSQL 10.6/PostGIS 2.5.2 Instance and the result is same.
If we use PostgreSQL9.6/9.2 and if we publish the PostgreSQL table in GeoServer 2.7.4 , it is assigning proper SLD based on PostgreSQL table geometry type
Now I understand that, GeoServer 2.7.4 not able to find the proper 'the_geom' type form PostgreSQL10.6 table geometry type and assigning default point sld to every table
 Is it possible to find the in GeoServer2.7.4, which part of the code deals with PostgreSQL table layer publishing? Kindly help me in this regard.

Thanks&Regards,
Naresh

On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 11:19 AM Naresh N <[hidden email]> wrote:
 Is it possible to find the in GeoServer2.7.4, which part of the code deals with PostgreSQL table layer publishing? Kindly help me in this regard.

GeoServer 2.7.4 source code is here: https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/tree/2.7.4
It depends on a GeoTools 13.4, source code here: https://github.com/geotools/geotools/tree/13.4

The code you're looking for is quite likely in this module:

Good luck!

Cheers
Andrea

==

[...]

Thanks a lot for your quick response.

Thanks&Regards,
Naresh

On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 2:54 PM Andrea Aime <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Naresh N <[hidden email]>

Thu, Apr 25, 4:57 PM (16 hours ago)
to me
Dear Andrea,

  String geomType = CLASS_TO_TYPE_MAP.get(gd.getType().getBinding());
                    if (geomType == null) {
                        geomType = "GEOMETRY";
                    }

If I want to do the changes and debug (like printing or alert messages) the code , where do we can see the log/print messages in GeoServer?

Thanks&Regards,
Naresh