Shapefile weirdness

Dale MacDonald

I have a set of shapefiles (one is attached) that refuses to become a feature type.  With each of them when I attempt to Submit from the featureType Editor it responds “The SRS ID is required.”  But I’ve given it an SRS (EPSG:2278) and generated a bounding box as I usually would.  I saw a reference to this problem with geometryless feaaturetype but I’m pretty sure these have geometry.  This happens in 1.7.4, 1.7.5 (release) and 1.7.5 (nightly build)

Ideas?

Thanks,

Dale.

sde_SDE_CityLimits.zip (20K) Download Attachment

Re: Shapefile weirdness

Justin Deoliveira
Hi Dale,

I just tried out the shapefile you sent and i managed to add it ok. Here
is exactly what I did :

* Added new feature type
* specified 2278 in srs field
* clicked the generate bounds button
* clicked submit
* clicked apply

One thing that I do notice that is wierd is that the shapefile you sent
does not appear to have any actual records in it. Confirmed it with
ogrinfo as well.

-Justin

Dale MacDonald wrote:

> I have a set of shapefiles (one is attached) that refuses to become a
> feature type.  With each of them when I attempt to Submit from the
> featureType Editor it responds “The SRS ID is required.”  But I’ve given
> it an SRS (EPSG:2278) and generated a bounding box as I usually would.
> I saw a reference to this problem with geometryless feaaturetype but I’m
> pretty sure these have geometry.  This happens in 1.7.4, 1.7.5 (release)
> and 1.7.5 (nightly build)
>

> Ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dale.

> This is your chance to win up to $100,000 in prizes! For a limited time,
> vendors submitting new applications to BlackBerry App World(TM) will have
> the opportunity to enter the BlackBerry Developer Challenge. See full prize
> details at: http://p.sf.net/sfu/Challenge

Justin Deoliveira
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org

Re: Shapefile weirdness

Stefano Iacovella
As Justin said at least the shapefile you sent to the mailing list is geometryless.
I checked it with ArcGIS Desktop and it has a valid binary format but no records inside it.

2009/7/16 Dale MacDonald <[hidden email]>

I have a set of shapefiles (one is attached) that refuses to become a feature type.  With each of them when I attempt to Submit from the featureType Editor it responds “The SRS ID is required.”  But I’ve given it an SRS (EPSG:2278) and generated a bounding box as I usually would.  I saw a reference to this problem with geometryless feaaturetype but I’m pretty sure these have geometry.  This happens in 1.7.4, 1.7.5 (release) and 1.7.5 (nightly build)

Ideas?

Thanks,

Dale.

Stefano Iacovella

"Objectivity cannot be equated with mental blankness; rather, objectivity resides in recognizing your preferences and then subjecting them to especially harsh scrutiny — and also in a willingness to revise or abandon your theories when the tests fail (as they usually do)."  — Stephen Jay Gould

Re: Shapefile weirdness

Dale MacDonald

Thanks.  Your input led me to discover I had gotten messed up by using ogr2ogr to extract a bunch of stuff from an mdb file.  When I did it one at a time things worked better.

Dale.