Serving real time data with Geoserver - what's the go-to solution?

Serving real time data with Geoserver - what's the go-to solution?

Ville Koivisto-2

Dear list,

If you’re willing I would like to hear your thoughts about the best alternative for serving real time data with Geoserver. I’ve searched info from different forums and so far I’m thinking Geomesa integrated to Geoserver would be the go-to solution (https://www.geomesa.org/).

Can anyone share any experiences with Geomesa for producing a proprietary web map service for clients needing real time data? Any other alternatives for Geomesa that we might want to take a look at?

Best regards,

Ville Koivisto

+35840 701 4283

GIS Expert

Suomen kuntotekniikka Oy

Re: Serving real time data with Geoserver - what's the go-to solution?

Brad Hards

GeoWave also advertises support for GeoServer (https://locationtech.github.io/geowave/userguide.html#geoserver-2)

Best is an impossible question to answer though – it depends on your precise needs. If your needs are proprietary and real time, perhaps WFS is not going to be a good fit.

Re: Serving real time data with Geoserver - what's the go-to solution?

GeoServer - User mailing list
GeoWave + GeoServer plugin have a great managing raster timeseries. GeoWave digests imagery from several raster datasources (Landsat8, Sentinel-2, THEIA...).

There are two articles about this topic could be interesting for you:

Best regards

En lunes, 21 de enero de 2019 9:14:27 CET, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> escribió:

GeoWave also advertises support for GeoServer (https://locationtech.github.io/geowave/userguide.html#geoserver-2)

Best is an impossible question to answer though – it depends on your precise needs. If your needs are proprietary and real time, perhaps WFS is not going to be a good fit.

Re: Serving real time data with Geoserver - what's the go-to solution?

Ville Koivisto-2

Thank you for your answers, and sorry for my delayed one. I got struck with a sudden spike of work.

Our needs are yet to be defined more accurately. Let’s say that our ideal solution would handle importing and displaying near real-time data (let’s say updating once a minute), would be open source and would have a plug in for Geoserver (or some other way of serving OGC standards).

As far as I’ve understood for now, on paper both Geomesa and Geowave satisfy the above.

Any other recommendations or perhaps materials we could take a look at, before we dwell further into this? I don’t seem to find too much info when googling about geoserver with real time data…

Thanks again,

Ville Koivisto

+35840 701 4283

GIS Expert

Suomen kuntotekniikka Oy

KUNTO TEKNIIKKA logo transparent FF9900

Best is an impossible question to answer though – it depends on your precise needs. If your needs are proprietary and real time, perhaps WFS is not going to be a good fit.

Re: Serving real time data with Geoserver - what's the go-to solution?

geowolf
Hi Ville,
I believe you should also provide some more info on your use case, like, are you dealing with a lot of
data, do you maybe also have create on the fly aggregates out of it, or maybe out of streams of data, and the like?
If so, GeoWave/GeoMesa seem to fit your use case.

But if instead you're just dealing with a smaller number of datasets (e.g., the buses over a city, a company's trucks on a road network)
and you just need to do a few updates a minute (e.g. thousands) then maybe a more modest postgis storage is all you need

Cheers
Andrea

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 12:59 PM Ville Koivisto <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

[...]

Hi Andrea,

Your comment is appreciated. You also hit the nail on the head with your guess: we’re dealing with sensors attached to machinery along municipal road network. At first we’ll have, let’s say thousands of updates per minute. Postgis is already our current solution, we’ve just not yet configured it with Geoserver to handle near real time data (disabling caching for layers “real time layers” and so on, I guess).

Still, we might later on incorporate larger data sources, and hit that very big data. This issue isn’t burning on our hands as of already now, we’re just making necessary steps in order to find the best backend design for v2 of our web map services.

Thanks again for everyone who commented. You’re doing great work for the community.

Best regards,

Ville Koivisto

+35840 701 4283

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 7:49 AM Ville Koivisto <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Andrea,

Your comment is appreciated. You also hit the nail on the head with your guess: we’re dealing with sensors attached to machinery along municipal road network. At first we’ll have, let’s say thousands of updates per minute. Postgis is already our current solution, we’ve just not yet configured it with Geoserver to handle near real time data (disabling caching for layers “real time layers” and so on, I guess).

Still, we might later on incorporate larger data sources, and hit that very big data.

That still depends on how big is big. Real time data tends to have a high focus on current data and little attention to past data, if any.
That can still be addressed with a normal database using separate tables for current and archived, or leveraging table partitioning, and
eventually using actual database server clustering. Eventually that breaks too and you actually need to go fully distributed.

Just saying, this is not a black or white situation, there are multiple designs that can be used, you go for the simplest, it won't scale to very large datasets,
you go for the big data one, and you'll likely find it has a lot of overhead for the small datasets, both in terms of setup, maintenance and cost.

Cheers
Andrea

==

GeoServer Professional Services from the experts! Visit http://goo.gl/it488V for more information. == Ing. Andrea Aime @geowolf Technical Lead GeoSolutions S.A.S. Via di Montramito 3/A 55054 Massarosa (LU) phone: +39 0584 962313 fax: +39 0584 1660272 mob: +39 339 8844549 http://www.geo-solutions.it http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it ------------------------------------------------------- Con riferimento alla normativa sul trattamento dei dati personali (Reg. UE 2016/679 - Regolamento generale sulla protezione dei dati “GDPR”), si precisa che ogni circostanza inerente alla presente email (il suo contenuto, gli eventuali allegati, etc.) è un dato la cui conoscenza è riservata al/i solo/i destinatario/i indicati dallo scrivente. Se il messaggio Le è giunto per errore, è tenuta/o a cancellarlo, ogni altra operazione è illecita. Le sarei comunque grato se potesse darmene notizia. This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. We remind that - as provided by European Regulation 2016/679 “GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email by mistake, please notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail.

image001.png (13K) Download Attachment

Re: Serving real time data with Geoserver - what's the go-to solution?

Rich Fecher
Hi Ville,
I'm a developer on GeoWave and thought I'd chime in on the topic of scale a bit.  Andrea makes a great point - it's true the setup and overhead involved in leveraging key-value stores like HBase, Accumulo, and Cassandra may be more involved than necessary for anything below a certain scale.  When dealing with IoT data sources with extreme volume and velocity it is very nice to leverage a standard "big data" ecosystem and is worth the investment - but it is not for everyone.

GeoWave was born from these "big data" use cases, but I thought I'd provide an update that GeoWave has recently expanded its support for key-value stores to include some very lightweight options (such as RocksDB and Redis).  We maintain common APIs, features, and integrations (such as GeoServer of course) regardless of the key-value store.  The idea is to just make it a matter of switching connection parameters to leverage a different backend store.

Here's an article I recently wrote that touches on some of the advantages we've found in leveraging GeoWave with the right key-value store for the right job/scale.

Anyways, I definitely don't want to take away from the tremendous flexibility that SQL and traditional databases provide, but thought I'd interject with an option - particularly if you think you ultimately will need to scale to a "big data" ecosystem, but would rather defer worrying about that additional complexity at this stage. The buy in or cost can be very low using something like RocksDB in a purely local embedded datastore (and there are cloud options for RocksDB as well). Also, Redis as a service is extremely easy to setup.  Then you could do what we've been doing to stick with a common API from GeoWave, and take the hit to setup a distributed architecture as it makes sense.

Rich