Serving maps to the Web

brian.cragin
Serving maps to the Web

Greetings,
We would like to build map-based mashups for San Diego County using Adobe Flex on the front end connected to a GIS web server on the back end serving up our many ESRI shapefile data layers. We have a Flex developering that can program the Flex part, but we are looking for a solution to serve up our GIS data in a fast and clean manner.  We are currently looking at ESRI ArcIMS and ArcGIS Server. We are considering open source solutions such as MapServer. We very much like the ArcWeb Explorer map experience from ESRI. Is it possible to create to do what we want with MapServer?

Brian Cragin
Graphics Editor
The San Diego Union-Tribune
w 1-619-293-1294
fx 1-619-260-5098

Re: Serving maps to the Web

Paul Ramsey-2
Brian,

Break apart the map rendering and user interface halves of the
equation in your mind.

For taking raw GIS data and rendering maps on the fly, Mapserver is
an excellent choice, faster and more reliable than ArcIMS.

For making a web user interface along the lines of ArcWeb Explorer,
consider OpenLayers.  Not sure how that fits into Flex (it's a
Javascript library), but then I'm not sure how ArcWeb Explorer does
either.

Yours,

Paul