Server Monitoring (was: Status report for April - System Contract I 2020)

Server Monitoring (was: Status report for April - System Contract I 2020)

Sandro Santilli-4
On Sat, May 02, 2020 at 11:46:54PM -0400, Regina Obe wrote:

> 2) Server Monitoring -- To replace the old munin monitoring, I put in place

> The nginx monitoring is installed on all the nginx proxies (OSGeo7, OSGeo3,
> OSGeo4) and download container
>
> There are 3 prometheus servers  (I have 3 instead of 1 to ease network
> management since the Prometheus servers are all on the same private network
> of the containers they pull metrics from they don't need any additional
> whitelisting)
> OSGeo7 - nginx (collects all the metrics from the OSGeo7 container
> exporters)
> OSGeo3 -  monitor (also runs Grafana and collects all metrics from OSGeo3
> containers)
> OSGeo4 - osgeo4-nginx (collects metrics from OSGeo4 containers)
>
> Grafana is running on OSGeo3 monitor container -> https://monitor.osgeo.org
> (all OSGeo LDAP users can log in to see the metrics).
> I whitelisted it on OSGeo7 and OSGeo4 so it can query the Prometheus servers
> for monitor stats.

Where am I supposed to find the graphs of nginx metrix ?
When going to monitor.osgeo.org, and logging in via OSGeo UserID
credentials, and picking "Home" menu item from the "Dashboard"
menu entry (the 4 squares icon), I only see:

  - "Grafana metrics"
  - "Prometheus 2.0 Stats"

Clicking on each of them shows me a few graphs, but all empty (No
Data) except from one under the "Promoetheus 2.0 Stats" and being
called "Scrape Duration". That graph shows 3 lines:

  - osgeo4-prometheus
  - osgeo4_nginx_os_exporter
  - osgeo4_nginx_web_exported

Where are the actual stats ?
Why can't I see them, if they are present ?

--strk;

Re: Server Monitoring (was: Status report for April - System Contract I 2020)

Regina Obe
on each of them shows me a few graphs, but all empty (No

> Data) except from one under the "Promoetheus 2.0 Stats" and being called
> "Scrape Duration". That graph shows 3 lines:
>
>   - osgeo4-prometheus
>   - osgeo4_nginx_os_exporter
>   - osgeo4_nginx_web_exported
>
> Where are the actual stats ?
> Why can't I see them, if they are present ?
>
> --strk;

I wonder if it's because I set you up first and I screwed things up initially.

Can you get to this link?

https://monitor.osgeo.org/d/MsjffzSZz7/osgeo7-nginx-by-nginxinc?orgId=2&refresh=5s

Or this:

https://monitor.osgeo.org/d/rYdddlPWk7/node-exporter-full-osgeo7?orgId=2

The navigation I admit is very confusing.  Haven't researched how to make that easier.

Thanks,
Regina

Re: Server Monitoring (was: Status report for April - System Contract I 2020)

Regina Obe

I usually get to the full list by going here

https://monitor.osgeo.org/dashboards

I have each LXD host dashboards in separate folders

For some reason on the Menu, they call dashboards - Manage

On Sun, May 03, 2020 at 01:26:25PM -0400, Regina Obe wrote:
> I usually get to the full list by going here
>
> https://monitor.osgeo.org/dashboards

Now I see them all in that page too (not sure what changed)

> For some reason on the Menu, they call dashboards - Manage

Right, while dashboards - Home still doestn' show me all those
things. Maybe there's a way to "configure" a dashboard showing
selected stats from the different panels into a single view..

--strk;