Seek permission from QGIS to publish these figures under the CC BY 4.0 license

Seek permission from QGIS to publish these figures under the CC BY 4.0 license

宋 �Z璐

Dear QGIS official members,

I have submitted an article to the journal PlosOne that includes a set of figures created by QGIS but based on data collected by we authors.

Here is the message from the PlosOne staff

Unfortunately, maps produced using QGIS are copyrighted under the CC SA license, regardless of the data, basemap, or map tile sources. PLOS ONE cannot publish CC SA licensed material as we utilize the less restrictive CC BY 4.0 license. If published under the CC BY 4.0 license, PLOS ONE will be violating the copyright terms set forth by QGIS.

At this time, kindly either a) remove or replace Figures 1, 3, 6, 8, 10, S5 with maps from one of the resources listed below or b) seek permission from QGIS to publish these figures under the CC BY 4.0 license. We recommend that you contact QGIS with the following text:

“I request permission for the open-access journal PLOS ONE to publish XXX under the Creative Commons Attribution License (CCAL) CC BY 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/). Please be aware that this license allows unrestricted use and distribution, even commercially, by third parties. Please reply and provide explicit written permission to publish XXX under a CC BY license.”

Please upload the granted permission to the manuscript as a supporting information file. In the figure caption of the copyrighted figure, please include the following text: “Reprinted from [ref] under a CC BY license, with permission from [name of publisher], original copyright [original copyright year].”

Therefore, could you please help provide a permission letter and allow to publish figures created by QGIS under CC BY 4.0?

Many thanks.  Looking forward for your reply as soon as possible.

SONG Jinglu
4th Year PhD Candidate
Dept of Geography and Resource Management
The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Tel: 3943-1152

Re: Seek permission from QGIS to publish these figures under the CC BY 4.0 license

pcav
Hi,
please clarify to the Editor that we do not impose any restriction on
the maps produced with our software. I frankly fail to understand where
he can have taken this idea from. In any case, this would apply to
anything produced with GPL software, and probably with any software overall.
All the best.

Il 24/02/2018 15:51, 宋 璟璐 ha scritto:

> Dear QGIS official members,
>

> I have submitted an article to the journal PlosOne that includes a set
> of figures created by QGIS but based on data collected by we authors.
>
> Here is the message from the PlosOne staff
>

> Unfortunately, maps produced using QGIS are copyrighted under the CC SA
> license, regardless of the data, basemap, or map tile sources. PLOS ONE
> cannot publish CC SA licensed material as we utilize the less
> restrictive CC BY 4.0 license. If published under the CC BY 4.0 license,
> PLOS ONE will be violating the copyright terms set forth by QGIS.
>
> At this time, kindly either a) remove or replace Figures 1, 3, 6, 8, 10,
> S5 with maps from one of the resources listed below or b) seek
> permission from QGIS to publish these figures under the CC BY 4.0
> license. We recommend that you contact QGIS with the following text:
>
> “I request permission for the open-access journal PLOS ONE to publish
> XXX under the Creative Commons Attribution License (CCAL) CC BY 4.0
> (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/). Please be aware that this
> license allows unrestricted use and distribution, even commercially, by
> third parties. Please reply and provide explicit written permission to
> publish XXX under a CC BY license.”
>
> Please upload the granted permission to the manuscript as a supporting
> information file. In the figure caption of the copyrighted figure,
> please include the following text: “Reprinted from [ref] under a CC BY
> license, with permission from [name of publisher], original copyright
> [original copyright year].”
>

> Therefore, could you please help provide a permission letter and allow
> to publish figures created by QGIS under CC BY 4.0?
>
> Many thanks.  Looking forward for your reply as soon as possible.
>
> SONG Jinglu
> 4th Year PhD Candidate
> Dept of Geography and Resource Management
> The Chinese University of Hong Kong
> Tel: 3943-1152
> Email: [hidden email] or [hidden email]

Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu

Re: Seek permission from QGIS to publish these figures under the CC BY 4.0 license

Richard Duivenvoorde
Hi Paolo,

This is the second request in 2 days...

Maybe better if we as PSC contact the editors directly?

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/s/contact

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

Il 25/02/2018 09:07, Richard Duivenvoorde ha scritto:
> Hi Paolo,
>
> This is the second request in 2 days...
>
> Maybe better if we as PSC contact the editors directly?
>
> http://journals.plos.org/plosone/s/contact

Good suggestion. Doing it now.
Thanks.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu

Re: Seek permission from QGIS to publish these figures under the CC BY 4.0 license

Tim Sutton-6
Hi

FYI I quite often get requests like these sent to my personal email….it might be good to also put a statement on our website somewhere that we can just point people to…

Thanks for taking care of it Paolo.

Regards

Tim

On 25 Feb 2018, at 10:10, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:

Il 25/02/2018 09:07, Richard Duivenvoorde ha scritto:
Hi Paolo,

This is the second request in 2 days...

Maybe better if we as PSC contact the editors directly?

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/s/contact

Good suggestion. Doing it now.
Thanks.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza
Project chair: QGIS.org

Desktop GIS programming services
Geospatial web development
GIS Training
Consulting Services

Skype: timlinux
IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

--
Sorry for being short

Re: Seek permission from QGIS to publish these figures under the CC BY 4.0 license

Solange Rigaud
Yes, I think it is a very good idea.
That is so weird to use an open source software to publish in an open access journal and face such a problem.
Thank you very much for your concern
and for all the work on the software
Solange

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net