Schemas in PostGis

Nordgren, Bryce L -FS
This may be a dumb question, but here goes:

I've got some basemap data in a PostGis 0.8.? database.  They used to be
shapefiles from http://www.nationalatlas.gov, but have been converted via
shp2pgsql.  The database is called "basemap", and the schema into which I
loaded the shapefiles is called "na" (for national atlas).

GeoServer 1.3.0 beta3 (WCS branch) shows the availability of the tables,
but does not indicate that they are members of the "na" schema.  Any
attempt to create a FeatureType from these tables generates an HTTP error
500.

HTTP ERROR: 500
SQL+Error+building+FeatureType+for+fedland+ERROR%3A+relation+%22fedland%22+does+not+exist%0A

Am I doing something wrong or is this just an unsupported operation?

Bryce

Re: Schemas in PostGis

Chris Holmes-2
That's definitely a bug, we should be supporting it - even if we aren't
showing the schema it should still be able to be created.  Have you
tried it out straight in geotools?  Could you get a better stack trace,
either in gt2 or by looking at the logs?  Even if it's a bitch to
support we should never be giving error 500s in the web admin tool.  Go
ahead and file a jira about it, and put your findings about stack
traces and all there.

Chris

Quoting Bryce L Nordgren <[hidden email]>:

> This may be a dumb question, but here goes:
>
> I've got some basemap data in a PostGis 0.8.? database.  They used to
> be
> shapefiles from http://www.nationalatlas.gov, but have been converted
> via
> shp2pgsql.  The database is called "basemap", and the schema into
> which I
> loaded the shapefiles is called "na" (for national atlas).
>
> GeoServer 1.3.0 beta3 (WCS branch) shows the availability of the
> tables,
> but does not indicate that they are members of the "na" schema.  Any
> attempt to create a FeatureType from these tables generates an HTTP
> error
> 500.
>
> HTTP ERROR: 500

SQL+Error+building+FeatureType+for+fedland+ERROR%3A+relation+%22fedland%22+does+not+exist%0A

> Am I doing something wrong or is this just an unsupported operation?
>
> Bryce

Re: Schemas in PostGis

Nordgren, Bryce L -FS

Chris Holmes <[hidden email]> wrote on 06/25/2005 01:39:14 AM:

> That's definitely a bug, we should be supporting it - even if we aren't
> showing the schema it should still be able to be created.  Have you
> tried it out straight in geotools?  Could you get a better stack trace,
> either in gt2 or by looking at the logs?  Even if it's a bitch to
> support we should never be giving error 500s in the web admin tool.  Go
> ahead and file a jira about it, and put your findings about stack
> traces and all there.

I had deferred an extensive examination of the "bug" until I asked if the
problem was me and not the software. :)  There's kind of a rush on to get
our modeling system up and going right now, so I fear my immediate solution
will be to dump the database and reload the data without a schema.  As far
as usability goes, this is kind of a cosmetic thing for me.  Makes
organizing data easier.  I'll file a JIRA, though, and add more extensive
information when I have time to worry about prettifying the system. :)

Bryce